So, is healing still "fine"? lol

(Locked)

You know, some of us paladins were standing with the other healers, saying we knew we had it a bit easier and hoped it got better for the rest. All you're succeeding in doing is looking worse than the obnoxious paladins that insisted all was well and decided to call everyone bads.

I still say healing is fine in that it's feasible, it's just very hard and there's a lot of idiots. Too many, in fact. No, I haven't healed since the nerfs. But you know what? Other people have already done it, so that means I can too, it'll just take a little bit of fumbling around at first. I'm just upset that my favorite part of paladin healing has basically been shelved. I like having HP and managing it. Now we're told we abused it and only get to have it if we sit in our corner casting for 18 seconds.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I just healed two more heroics. Healing is more than fine.
90 Tauren Druid
Yes we can still heal, but spamming the same stupid heal over and over can hardly be considered fun. I like to move around in a fight, hence the hot based druid. But blizz has for some very asinine reason decided that we should all just stand in one spot and hit the same button repeatedly. How is that challenging, interesting or fun?

EDIT: I've not been on my pally since the cata release. What got nerfed?
Edited by Magicudders on 12/14/2010 3:52 PM PST
But blizz has for some very asinine reason decided that we should all just stand in one spot and hit the same button repeatedly. How is that challenging, interesting or fun?

EDIT: I've not been on my pally since the cata release. What got nerfed?

We have to dodge tornadoes in several heroics while we cast... that's kind of annoying.

Tower of Radiance no longer gives us HP from casting Holy Light on the Beacon. Light of Dawn's healing values were nerfed as well.
Yes we can still heal, but spamming the same stupid heal over and over can hardly be considered fun. I like to move around in a fight, hence the hot based druid. But blizz has for some very asinine reason decided that we should all just stand in one spot and hit the same button repeatedly. How is that challenging, interesting or fun?

What one button is that, Magicudders?

Nourish? Not enough HPS, and why on earth don't you have lifebloom and rejuv both on the tank?
Rejuv? The DPS shouldn't be taking enough damage to spam nless it's a gimmick, and if it is, you should be using WG also.
Regrowth? There goes your mana, the whole point is that we're now mana-constrained instead of GCD-constrained.
HT? Not only is your mana gone, the DPS didn't need a heal that big.
Lifebloom, WG, mend, tranq, dispel? Inherently not spammable.

There are rational objections to the current healing style. That we "stand in one spot hitting the same button repeatedly" is not one of them.

That's a pretty big if there. And of course, it begs the question of whether or not Wrath bred this into players, or whether or not Wrath attracted players of that mindset. If the latter is true, then the situation is a lot more dire.
Oh, I know about nowadays. I was talking about back in BC - many times were nasty situations avoided because I had HoTs rolling on dps bringing them backup to full health. It provided a buffer of sorts.

Personally, I feel that Wrath attracted that mindset. it was a chicken-and-egg issue. Item levels were the only reward of harder content, so players felt they were "failing" without access to higher item levels, so content was nerfed to make them available, so item levels were the reward of content. Gone were the days of "get these items to be able to see the next content now, instead of waiting...oh, and while waiting, go do that other content you didn't do yet." It's why fresh 80s did a few heroics and went straight to ICC--seeing naxx, ulduar, and ToC wasn't a reward, only the item levels ICC offered were.

As for a buffer...I've been a resto druid (other than leveling) since I hit 60 in ~February 2006. BC was nothing but buffering! And man were we ever good at it.
85 Goblin Death Knight
I think what's being missed here is remember that you have many more spells in your spellbook.

Heal is the "autoattack" heal of priests: when nothing is going on and no one is in any immediate danger, you can spam heal....or you can use the Chastise chakra. That's an option.

"...no on is in any immediate danger..." This is where people have a lot of trouble.

No, people do not need to be kept at 100%. Actually, I'll try to keep them around 50% to make use of Test of Faith.

Yes, there are many forms of splash healing that the healer should not, and if they're smart will not, have to do. (I.E. as a blood tank, I'd rather my healer not babysit me wasting his mana when I can Death Strike/Rune Tap myself up on my own)

Where it gets frustrating is when party members start taking unnecessary damage. If a healer is unaware as to what happened, they will become flustered trying to heal through 100% avoidable damage. This is an issue of group awareness and coordination.

I'm going around and reading what other healers think, and what I'm understanding is that something is either too boring; the reason for minor healing dps options, or that things are too frustrating, either by using the quick and easy emergency heal in lieu of the more mana effecient option...which isn't appealing because of the numbers, or healing through the unnecessary.

I've helped guildmates, friends, and even pugs through some of their issues by observing what they do and they all share common problems. I mention some of their other class's spells and 70% of the time they will not have thought of it before. The other 30% will completely ignore me and insult me for suggesting a new strategy.

The lesson here is to observe and consider practicality over the theoretical.

EDIT: Despite what ever game this has been in the past, there is a new one to be played and Blizzard has a specific design for it. The best thing to do is to first know what that design is...then play that game.
Edited by Lucylia on 12/14/2010 4:02 PM PST
85 Troll Druid
Ten
I like healing much better than in wrath
90 Orc Shaman
Do doctors spam medicine and hope their patients will get better? No. I want to use my heals methodically,

What is it with you and really bad anologies?
At this point, I really can only see the game moving in the two directions I mentioned. Either the casual players remember that "hardmode" isn't restricted to "hardmode of the latest tier of content," and accept it, or Blizz has to nerf everything to oblivion to keep revenue up. I hope I'm wrong.

And yeah, we had numbers like no other, but none of it actually saved people. We were basically a tank mitigation stat. Don't get me wrong--I had a lot of fun doing it, the real trick were throwing other stuff in while maintaining 2-3 HoTs on each of 2-3 tanks--but yeah. Wrath was great on that front, lowering the time we spent refreshing HoTs from ~80% to ~25%.
100 Blood Elf Priest
You're not listening. I despise spamfest style healing with a passion - the fact I actually have to watch my mana bar again does in fact make me happy.

What distresses me is how pathetically wimpy my spells are; their low scaling and puny coefficients mean that once again, I am spamming. The difference is I'm not hitting as hard as I used to.

As I've said many times, I envision a healing mode where mana is a factor, but spell payoffs are big. Combat proceeds at a decent pace; we don't heal constantly, but we make what heals we do cast count.

I'm with you there, and I apologize for the confusion. However, although I misapplied it, my point stands: we lost.

I actual like the idea of having a little downtime, too. But we lost that fight, just the same as I lost my "make ToL a toggled ability, permanent but not useful 100% of the time." The decision was that constant casting, slowed down so you can think between casts and choose which tool to use, was the best option. I was all for a return of the FSR, with shaman and pally healers getting in on it.

If you consider the heal-autoattacks as "downtime," and pretend that their healing is rolled into the other spells, is that in line with what you would prefer?

The major problem is they're not autoattacks and they're not downtime.

The fact that they have a long cast time (and trigger the GCD) means they really can't be equated to autoattacks or downtime; during downtime (or while "autoattacking", if there were a true healer equivalent) we'd be able to respond to events immediately and move around freely. Casting Heal, we can't.
86 Worgen Druid
I've noticed a pattern coming from people who say "healing is fine" now, or "omg every healing in every encounter in wrath was faceroll."

They're trying to stroke their epeen.

Healing isn't "fine."
100 Tauren Druid
"My options now are to deal with it or move on."

I am dealing with it by canceling my sub just sucks that i have to leave my guild that only has 2 healers now
Im not paying for a game im not having fun with thats what your supposed to do is have fun with games if your just getting frustrated (And again im not talking about the challenge or mana issues) why play it?
After 4 years im saying goodbye, if things turn around and druid healers are druid healers again and not sub par pally healers i may come back.
Oh and the fact we paid 40 dollars to get weaker as we level instead of stronger like most rpg's is just dumb unless your a fanboy.

At least some of are having fun, i guess.
Edited by Bahska on 12/14/2010 4:14 PM PST
85 Goblin Death Knight

Yes, yes, we've all heard the "not everyone needs to be topped off" mantra ad nauseum.

The point is I don't want an "autoattack" spell. Do doctors spam medicine and hope their patients will get better? No. I want to use my heals methodically, and be rewarded for well placed spells.

Read: "...or you can use the Chastise chakra"

If I can find the post I will share it. It really isn't about what *you* want...
90 Orc Shaman
"My options now are to deal with it or move on."

I am dealing with it by canceling my sub just sucks that i have to leave my guild that only has 2 healers now
after 4 years im saying goodbye, if things turn around and druid healers are druid healers again and not sub par pally healers i may come back.

At least some of are having fun, i guess.

Sorry to hear that Bahska. You will be back when everyone knows the fights and we outgear everything. Cya in hmm maybe 1 month.
The major problem is they're not autoattacks and they're not downtime.

The fact that they have a long cast time (and trigger the GCD) means they really can't be equated to autoattacks or downtime; during downtime (or while "autoattacking", if there were a true healer equivalent) we'd be able to respond to events immediately and move around freely. Casting Heal, we can't.

Melee autoattacking can move around freely? Hunters with autoshot? (Well, I suppose they actually can, with fox up.)

Relating the slow/efficient heals to autoattack refers to that they can be spammed basically indefinitely, and are our baseline source of healing--in that any time you're not avoiding fire, casting another heal, CCing, etc, you may as well be using one.

Edit: You can respond immediately...start casting something else, the autoheal gets canceled and the new one goes off. You're not locked out of acting for a GCD on starting a cast. The GCD restricts you when you complete a cast taking less time than the GCD (for example, following an instant spell, you have a global cooldown before being able to cast anything else--despite the initial spell being "instant").
Edited by Galashin on 12/14/2010 4:15 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]