So, is healing still "fine"? lol

(Locked)

85 Goblin Death Knight
I missed the part where this > game < became a "do what I want or I'm quitting" totalitarianism.

Or even "things are different, I'm unhappy, fix it!"

I understand that a lot of people are uncomfortable with the changes, but at what point do you all stop bringing up the name of the people who, by the way, make this game for your troubles and to squash your hurt feelings, understand what's intended, and just play the damn thing?

85 Troll Druid
Healing is not just fine, it's fun.
86 Worgen Druid

You must think getting a root canal is fun.
85 Night Elf Druid
"Protip: Not everyone who dislikes Cata healing enjoyed the Wrath faceroll"

This, a thousand times this. I feel like its now a choir to heal even more so than ever before. In a guild group sure things are not as bad, but in randoms (which I do because of my odd hours) I find DPS are still of the mind set that anything bad happening is the healers fault. Thus I'm burdened with even more pressure than before, there is no fun for me in the healing game right now. Its all stress...Add in bosses like baron ashbury and I have no clue wtf blizzard was hoping to accomplish. I am spamming constantly, to nearly no effect. How I miss vanilla where the name of the game was to heal and get into the 5 sec regen rule. Now its just a mess of pathetic weak, expensive heals.

/signed a vanilla healing priest
90 Orc Shaman

Im with you, we need more of you to come out and support Blizzard on this otherwise I fear they will cave in and make it a boring lifeless game like it was in Wrath.
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, the good news is I don't have to level my pally anytime soon at least. Look, yea it sucks guys, sorry. Welcome to the party. The positive is that all healer classes need to be about equal or all the others will just get left behind (ex: me switching to my Pally instead). I'm not asking for it to be easy, just fair. As it was I could sense fellow guildies cringing a bit when I was going to heal versus our pally for that very reason. I've never had people worry about my healing before so feeling like a charity case is a little discouraging.

Personally I'd rather see them do something like make fights more mobile (like ToC faction champs - my favorite fight ever) or maybe require a little DPS to earn a healing modifier to mix things up rather than destroy or mana and SP, but whatever.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Melee autoattacking can move around freely? Hunters with autoshot? (Well, I suppose they actually can, with fox up.)

Relating the slow/efficient heals to autoattack refers to that they can be spammed basically indefinitely, and are our baseline source of healing--in that any time you're not avoiding fire, casting another heal, CCing, etc, you may as well be using one.

Edit: You can respond immediately...start casting something else, the autoheal gets canceled and the new one goes off. You're not locked out of acting for a GCD on starting a cast. The GCD restricts you when you complete a cast taking less time than the GCD (for example, following an instant spell, you have a global cooldown before being able to cast anything else--despite the initial spell being "instant").

Yes, they can. Hunter moves and misses an autoshot, or melee moves and misses an autoattack, not much happens (and melee can usually move and stay in range of the boss, and hunters have fox now). I move and miss a Heal, Renew falls off my Heal target and I'm 4 seconds more likely to have Chakra drop off in an oh sh!t moment and my Heal target doesn't get hitpoints which they probably needed (else I wouldn't be casting at them) so I'm going to to cast something less efficient to make up for it. And if I was casting that Heal to trigger a new Chakra because it fell off, I have to try again after I've moved, and God forbid we've entered a heavy movement or tank damage phase.

And when a melee or hunter is autoattacking, they can respond to other stuff that happens. They can do interrupts, CCs, stuns, all their utility stuff. When I'm casting Heal, I have a delay in my reaction time for dispels, big heals, cooldowns, etc. Since dispelling is just as twitch-based as it ever was (but now only healers and spriests can do magic, so all the critically-important twitch dispels are magic) this is bad. Since tank damage is is still super spiky, this is bad.
Edited by Kaels on 12/14/2010 4:30 PM PST
This, a thousand times this. I feel like its now a choir to heal even more so than ever before. In a guild group sure things are not as bad, but in randoms (which I do because of my odd hours) I find DPS are still of the mind set that anything bad happening is the healers fault. Thus I'm burdened with even more pressure than before, there is no fun for me in the healing game right now. Its all stress...Add in bosses like baron ashbury and I have no clue wtf blizzard was hoping to accomplish. I am spamming constantly, to nearly no effect. How I miss vanilla where the name of the game was to heal and get into the 5 sec regen rule. Now its just a mess of pathetic weak, expensive heals.

Heroics are hardmode content. Pugs with DPS who can't or won't get out of fire shouldn't be able to beat them--yet! Next patch, they'll be nerfed (if only indirectly), and even those players can just start to power through. As is reasonable. In the meantime, it's their own fault for refusing to even try to improve. So what's the problem? They can run normals, that's the content designed for them.
85 Goblin Death Knight

Who said I'm quitting?

After six years and thousands of dollars, I think I have a pretty firm base for forming an opinion on the matter. I don't believe in complacency - that's for stupid people.

Your comment wasn't quoted, it was directed at the many other quit comments made here.

Complacency or not, there is a better way to express your opinions that at the same time reserves a bit of respect and won't be taken as "raging".
Yes, they can. Hunter moves and misses an autoshot, or melee moves and misses an autoattack, not much happens (and melee can usually move and stay in range of the boss, and hunters have fox now). I move and miss a Heal, Renew falls off my Heal target and I'm 4 seconds more likely to have Chakra drop off in an oh sh!t moment and my Heal target doesn't get hitpoints which they probably needed (else I wouldn't be casting at them) so I'm going to to cast something less efficient to make up for it. And if I was casting that Heal to trigger a new Chakra because it fell off, I have to try again after I've moved, and God forbid we've entered a heavy movement phase.

And when a melee or hunter is autoattacking, they can respond to other stuff that happens. They can do interrupts, CCs, stuns, all their utility stuff. When I'm casting Heal, I have a delay in my reaction time for dispels, big heals, cooldowns, etc. Since dispelling is just as twitch-based as it ever was (but now only healers and spriests can do magic, so all the critically-important twitch dispels are magic) this is bad. Since tank damage is is still super spiky, this is bad.

Interrupts are every bit as twitchy as dispels, and they have GCDs the same as us. I haven't found tank damage to be spiky except on gimmick mobs designed for it to be so--at the least, when tanks do take a spike of damage, it's usually a cooldown boss ability, so you have time before the next.

Chakra is your core mechanic--of course you have to make an effort if you expect high gain. Same as cats needing to manage two bleeds, a combo point self-buff, and a short-cd dps cooldown, around mangle and shred.

If you're casting your base, efficient heal (your "autoattack" heal), the target should not be in immediate danger of death. Not being able to finish the heal might mean you have to use a less efficient one a few seconds later--just as often, the only result is that your core mechanic was affected. As should be the case, same as if I have to restack lifeblooms.
85 Goblin Death Knight
I haven't found tank damage to be spiky except on gimmick mobs designed for it to be so--at the least, when tanks do take a spike of damage, it's usually a cooldown boss ability, so you have time before the next.

Also, in which case, you and your tanks should communicate your respective CD usage or things can get difficult.
90 Blood Elf Priest

Interrupts are every bit as twitchy as dispels, and they have GCDs the same as us. I haven't found tank damage to be spiky except on gimmick mobs designed for it to be so--at the least, when tanks do take a spike of damage, it's usually a cooldown boss ability, so you have time before the next.

But you're comparing Heal to an autoattack - autoattacking doesn't interfere with interrupting. Of course I expect that if I'm dropping a giant healbomb or otherwise doing something actually effective, that will delay my twitch reactions.

Chakra is your core mechanic--of course you have to make an effort if you expect high gain. Same as cats needing to manage two bleeds, a combo point self-buff, and a short-cd dps cooldown, around mangle and shred.

If you're casting your base, efficient heal (your "autoattack" heal), the target should not be in immediate danger of death. Not being able to finish the heal might mean you have to use a less efficient one a few seconds later--just as often, the only result is that your core mechanic was affected. As should be the case, same as if I have to restack lifeblooms.

There's no "of course" about it. Pallies' core mechanic is Beacon. They cast it once every 5 minutes. Shaman's core mechanics are Earth Shield and Riptide. They refresh ES once every 8 hits that land on the tank, and it's instant; they cast Riptide (another instant) on CD, and like it, because it's actually a good spell in its own right even without considering the buffs it offers. Druids and priests are the only class whose core mechanics have been contrived to force us awkwardly into using bad heals.
90 Troll Priest
As a priest, healing is perfectly fine. If you don't think it is then you are either using the wrong spells or wearing the wrong gear.
But you're comparing Heal to an autoattack - autoattacking doesn't interfere with interrupting. Of course I expect that if I'm dropping a giant healbomb or otherwise doing something actually effective, that will delay my twitch reactions.

Nor does casting your efficient heal interfere with dispelling! You don't activate a GCD by starting the heal. If you complete the heal, the GCD has already passed (the heal is longer than the GCD), and thus you can start your next cast (the dispel) immediately. If you have to cancel your heal, you lose the some healing and any talent-based benefit it provides. If a melee DPS has to switch mobs to interrupt an add (as opposed to the DPS target), they lose damage on their main target and reset their swing bar (I believe).

There's no "of course" about it. Pallies' core mechanic is Beacon. They cast it once every 5 minutes. Shaman's core mechanics are Earth Shield and Riptide. They refresh ES once every 8 hits that land on the tank, and it's instant; they cast Riptide (another instant) on CD, and like it, because it's actually a good spell in its own right even without considering the buffs it offers. Druids and priests are the only class whose core mechanics have been contrived to force us awkwardly into using bad heals.

No. Pallies core mechanic is holy power. Shaman's core mechanic...good question. The current druid core mechanic is managing OoC procs and using HoTs efficiently (our core mechanic used to be managing multiple HoT durations). "Core mechanic" =/= "unique heal." A core mechanic is what generates the playstyle differences between the classes.
90 Tauren Druid
Still think its funny people spin the argument back to "Its not Wotlk" Or "Its supposed to be hard its Heoric" Im not talking about challenge im talking about fun and im not the only one i just logged in to talk to my GM and found out 3 guilds just lost there main healers as well

So is something wrong or am i just QQing think about it 4 healers from the same realm quitting in the same day hmm.........(and two of them have been playing for 4 years like me) Take your lips off of blizzards butt and open your eye's.
90 Orc Shaman
talking about fun

It's here to stay im sorry to say. If it isnt fun consider some other spec or class. Not much else I can really suggest. Playing something that isn't fun, I just don't get, it is a game afterall.
85 Gnome Priest
"OMG We have to use our brains and actually work together?! Thanks Blizz"
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]