A Resto Druid's Perspective

85 Tauren Druid
I know I'm not 85 yet, and I hear everything changes when you do hit 85, but I just wanted to comment on a few druid specific topics. First, I'd just like to say that I do enjoy the challenge of the new system, but I think there are some druid-specific issues that need to be addressed.

Many healing classes got fun and interesting changes and additions to their play styles. Pallies had a complete overhaul from what I've seen (although I don't have one). It seems to me, the opposite has happened to druids. We didn't receive any new spells to add to your so-called "bag of tricks". Disc and Holy priests both have new spells. Pallies have many new spells. I really don't know whether or not shammies have new spells. Either way, I feel like I'm lacking that new flair that should come with an expansion.

Not only did we not receive additions, we lost some of our core druid flair. Resto druids are supposed to be masters of HoTs...I mean it's in our freakin' spec description! We never really relied on direct heals. Rather, we used multiple HoTs to heal incoming damage. I feel as if we've moved pretty far away from HoTs. Regrowth as a HoT, for all intents and purposes, has been removed. Even when the time does call for our quick burst heal, the actual HoT portion is pretty negligible. In fact, I find myself using direct healing spells more frequently than my HoTs. I understand that we can no longer Rejuv the entire party/raid, but that doesn't change the fact that the core challenge for a druid is to know when to apply HoTs. There is a little bit of that left. We can still cast Rejuv if we know there is incoming damage, but that sense of being the healing version of an Affliction lock is gone.

I will admit that as an 84 druid I still lack a lot of experience with the new system. However, I feel as if druids are moving away from our core healing over time design towards direct healing and that I should maybe just look into another class that does direct healing better.

Recommendations: I think introducing a new HoT spell will not only elevate druids back to HoT masters but will also add some desperately needed reinvigoration, as other classes have gotten. Perhaps a HoT that acts similarly to Nourish, low throughput/high efficiency.

Regardless, I'd like to hear what other Resto druids have to say and to see if anyone agrees.

Note: I haven't been involved at all with Beta. So, I don't know what druids had at their disposal during that time.
Edited by Quells on 12/14/2010 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes, there are reasonable objections to resto druid flavor. There are not reasonable objections to resto druid HPS/regen. The issue being that we lost the fight. I campaigned to keep us more HoT-centric, as did many others. No dice. C'est la vie.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Are there any responses from Blizz as to why?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Ten
We too, have had some interesting changes and additions to our playstyle. The difference is we got all of our changes at level 80 when 4.0 came out, they just weren't fully realized until the new content in Cataclsym.

When healing in wrath my toolkit mainly consisted of Wildgrowth and Rejuvanation, with some swiftmend thrown in for good measure

In cataclsym wild growth, swiftmend, regrowth, nourish, lifebloom, rejuvanation, healing touch, tranquility (If CD is up) have important uses in every encounter. In addition our tree of life went from being passive stat boost to a true playstyle changer during its cooldown.

Since you're looking for a blizzard response, I can say that *have* addressed this, I can't dig up the post right now. They basically said we have enough spells already in our arsenal, they will just make it so they all have uses, which they have done with cataclysm.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
In cataclsym wild growth, swiftmend, regrowth, nourish, lifebloom, rejuvanation, healing touch, tranquility (If CD is up) have important uses in every encounter. In addition our tree of life went from being passive stat boost to a true playstyle changer during its cooldown.

and where's the part where you instantly oom?

I've tried to get creative when using heals on encounters, without overhealing. It doesn't work that way. In Wrath I could use different spells, in Cataclysm I'm limited to about three.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I believe the reason they moved us away from HoTs is because they are OP in an environment where everyone is hurt all the time. Plus, an efficient HoT that can be put on more than one person encourages spamming that HoT on everyone - which is what they don't want.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Ten
12/14/2010 4:25 PMPosted by Viensa
and where's the part where you instantly oom?

I don't go instantly oom BECAUSE I use different spells. I use all of our spells on most encounters except for the easier ones (The second boss in blackrock, for example, is pretty easy to heal - just need to dispell and keep lifeblooms up with nourish mostly)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I guess all I'm saying is I (and I'm guessing many others) rolled a druid for the HoT based play style. I still enjoy the new challenges of healing, but what happened to our unique playstyle? IMO it's gone. We have the same spells as everyone else...just by another name.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]