Do you actually like carrying people?

85 Blood Elf Priest
I get the impression (and I may be wrong, but it's just a thought) that a lot of healers from Wrath were used to carrying people, whether it be spastic DPS who stood in the fire/cleave or stamina-stacking tanks with little avoidance who were effectively mana sponges. To me it's always been true that the healer's job is as easy or as difficult as the rest of the group makes it. When a group makes my job harder, I've always tended to get annoyed with them, even if I am capable of covering for their mistake (and in Wrath, I usually was... in Cataclysm not so much).

I have actually confirmed this mindset with one of my friends, who also played a holy priest. He told me he got a good amount of personal satisfaction for carrying a group on his shoulders when they made things get out of hand.

As someone with a healer main and three tanking alts (paladin, warrior, death knight), I do not feel this way at all. From both perspectives, having to cover for someone not doing their job properly is obnoxious, and I was usually pretty vocal about it. Does that make me a jerk or something? I wouldn't appreciate that kind of thing at my job either. If someone left extra work for me to do, they'd be the first person to know I was unhappy with them.

So, how do you feel?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Group effort should be a group effort.
When the going gets tough, I blow my cooldowns and I "carry" the group until it gets under control or I run out of mana... I cant just overheal everyone and expect to be fine without consequence.
I think its fine the way it is. Just cant pug lol.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I get the impression (and I may be wrong, but it's just a thought) that a lot of healers from Wrath were used to carrying people, whether it be spastic DPS who stood in the fire/cleave or stamina-stacking tanks with little avoidance who were effectively mana sponges. To me it's always been true that the healer's job is as easy or as difficult as the rest of the group makes it. When a group makes my job harder, I've always tended to get annoyed with them, even if I am capable of covering for their mistake (and in Wrath, I usually was... in Cataclysm not so much).

I have actually confirmed this mindset with one of my friends, who also played a holy priest. He told me he got a good amount of personal satisfaction for carrying a group on his shoulders when they made things get out of hand.

As someone with a healer main and three tanking alts (paladin, warrior, death knight), I do not feel this way at all. From both perspectives, having to cover for someone not doing their job properly is obnoxious, and I was usually pretty vocal about it. Does that make me a jerk or something? I wouldn't appreciate that kind of thing at my job either. If someone left extra work for me to do, they'd be the first person to know I was unhappy with them.

So, how do you feel?

You can only carry people to a certain extent. Once they start taking way too damage for their mistakes, you have to tell them what they're doing wrong. If they are scrubs and don't understand constructive criticism, then mostly likely you'll be the one blamed and kicked.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Carrying people was fun because it meant you threw out crazy heals and managed to get everyone through even though you thought you were going to die for sure. It's an adrenaline rush, makes you feel like a god, and makes you feel important. Now, it might also shave few years off your life since sustained "omg we're going to die" is really stressful - but you felt it was worth it afterwards.

It meant that I could go with a group of my friends - who weren't the l33test people out there - and manage to down content with them and have fun instead of subjecting myself to the drama and hard work that you need with big guilds.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Most people enjoy being overpowered.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Helping people improve, like a caster who isn't using the correct rotation or a melee who doesn't know how to avoid ground effects and stay on the boss or a tank who doesn't know how to mark up targets and dictate CCs? Sure, I like helping them along.

Having some undergeared mouthy bastard who refuses to CC or listen to instructions so he can pump out his 4k dps? Hell no, vote kicked, gone.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
I think it's less 'carrying', and more 'having the ability to turn things around when they go bad'.

That's what I liked... facing certain death but miraculously being able to turn the tables so that a near wipe turns into a victory.

There's no longer any room for that now... the constraints on healers are absolutely too tight.

They rely far too much on people being near-perfect in execution, and how often does that happen?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Actually, I liked WOLK (blasphemy I suppose) and the healing model that was implemented in that game. I feel like people are remembering healing after we became over geared for PUGs, and forgetting that it was a challenge in the beginning.

The current model does not provide an opportunity to use all of our tools.

It is truly PUG unfriendly.

It really isn't a lot of fun. Not because of the wipes, the repetitious nature of the heals, or because some idiot stroking their ego says I need to L2Play, but because healers feel
worthless to the cause atm. Sort of like spitting on a bonfire.

And what about BGs? Have you tried to heal in a Battle Ground? Rofl. It really is all about their dps/hp vs our dps/hp. Healing isn't even a factor imho. Remember the days of kill the healer first? Pfft, its kill the damn uber mage first, because healing really isnt a factor, dps is.

So, since you are asking reasonably, is it okay that we would like to be a bigger factor in the battles? We don't need to carry the group all the time, but how about we have the ability to pull a wipe from the clutches of certainty every now and again?

Could we have an out of combat mana regen buff so we dont have to drink between pulls all the time?

Could we get a little ego boost by not having to rely on others (unless they are complete morons) to heal themselves so very often?

In conclusion, we aren't having problems adapting, but the items that we like to do with our healers (for me PUGs and BGs) are simply no fun because the model does not lend itself to those activities smoothly. Gear will eventually fix that I suppose, but where is the fun in that?

Have a good one.
Reply Quote
84 Undead Priest
I like being able to use my skills and abilities to help prevent a wipe when something goes wrong, but to carry a group that refuses to pull their own weight through an entire dungeon? No, I don't enjoy that and like you I get irritated. Everyone makes mistakes and I don't expect people to play 100% on in a PUG, but everyone should carry their own weight in the group, it just makes everything more efficient for everyone. There is nothing more fun for me than a group where everyone really knows their role and the group can just move along efficiently an get a lot accomplished and/or get things done at a lower level or with less gear than others.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I think it's less 'carrying', and more 'having the ability to turn things around when they go bad'.

That's what I liked... facing certain death but miraculously being able to turn the tables so that a near wipe turns into a victory.

There's no longer any room for that now... the constraints on healers are absolutely too tight.

They rely far too much on people being near-perfect in execution, and how often does that happen?

I can still do that. However, if the entire pull has gone wrong from start to finish (2 min + fight), there is no way I should able to pull a group through that. At some point the blame shifts from the healer to the group as a whole. Feels to me most healers hold themsleves to too high of a standard for todays gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It's not about carrying people, it's about being able to save people. I enjoy it when healing is frantic and when I have to make split second decisions about what spell(s) to use. I liked busting out all of my many tools, and it made me feel like I did the job well when we came out the other end of it. I'm not talking about healing through complete stupid. I'm talking about being able to save us when we make a mistake.

I don't mind the notion that the Wrath model needed to be changed. And I'm not really complaining too much about the current state of classes and specs, although I do think priests, and maybe some other classes, need a bit of a touch-up here and there. It would be nice if some of the early quest gear had spirit on it. It would also be nice if our heals scaled a little better. But I can live without any of that and still enjoy the game as much as I ever had.

What I don't fully like, however, is how Blizzard decided to "fix" to the zergfest mentality. They made dps classes more interesting to play because suddenly people have to not only handle their rotations, but watch their health, their aggro, aoe, their positioning, and incoming damage. That's all great, and I enjoy that part of it very much. The other half of the "fix," however, was a fairly serious nerf to healing that forces many people to cut down on the number of the spells they use. Healers used to be the ones who could save people from some pretty dire circumstances if they were skilled enough. Now, it feels like we've become just another cog in the 5-man machine. If everyone plays well, we live. If one or more people screw up a bit, we hit the soft enrage timer built into most boss fights and the healer goes oom because there wasn't enough dps.

The result is that dps has become more interesting than it was while healing as become more boring, even if it is now harder. The healing is no longer the challenge, per se, getting the group to execute the fight perfectly is. Fights seem more gimmicky now.

I prefer a model where healing is still harder than it was before and where dps have to know what they are doing, but where a good healer can still truly shine. It's like we are all being forced to use a set rotation of sorts, when one of the reasons I decided to roll a healer was to get away from that humdrum.

It's the playstyle that sucks now.

Reply Quote
I used to try to keep dumb DPS alive (I still kinda do, but mutter at them). Anymore I focus on the tank and you DPSers will get healed when 1) The Tank is above 50% and 2) I'm not frogging or interrupting things, because DPS don't do that anymore. If you manage to die because I'm busy doing my job and yours it's your repair bill.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I do not enjoy carrying people, but when the other option is wipage, abuse and votekicked and general group grief, the choice is pretty obvious.

Point is, if you don't carry, you wipe and die. And you don't want to wipe and die. So you have to carry.
Edited by Zamboozle on 12/14/2010 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Shaman
Yes, I liked being able to save the group from their screw ups. That was the fun in healing to me. You didn't have to do much to keep a good group alive but then when someone screwed up and you covered for their mistake and manage to down the boss, that was fun.

This is probably one of my biggest complaints with the new model of healing. Even if you are a great healer, you are limited by your group. DPS stands in the fire, so to speak, and you lose. Tank messes up, you lose. You cannot boost your group with your skill because you don't have the mana base for it.

On the other hand, if you're a terrible healer you can still do fine with a good group. If the DPS stays out of the damage and the tank properly gears and uses his defensive cooldowns, you don't have to do anything right and you'll still win.

As a healer, I feel like I contribute 0% to our group's success. If we win, they did it right. If we lose, they didn't. Either way my job is going to be the same - cast big heals on the tank every now and then and spare next to nothing for the DPS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]