Holy Paladin nerfs?

85 Human Priest
Thank you Neth for letting us know that you are watching our mana usage and healing!

It's not the changes I had hoped for, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing it is being closely watched and you guys are actively working on keeping things in line!
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So the strat now is spam HL on the party, and shock the tank, and never use LoD or WoG?

Got it, LOVE the new choices
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Any plans on changing light of dawn glyph now that it doesn't have a target cap?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Good to know that the nerfbat route was a better route than making healers more capable of... healing. Well, at least you can skip the third boss of H SFK.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Since you're here. I can only assume the target cap being removed (I'm at the AH in org hitting a lot of people) was an unintended change and will be reverted. However, please confirm. Thanks.
85 Troll Shaman
Good to know that the nerfbat route was a better route than making healers more capable of... healing. Well, at least you can skip the third boss of H SFK.

Psh. Done and done (wiped a dozen times but it was worth it imo).
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So was anything buffed to make up for these massive nerfs to not only our healing efficiency, but our healing output?

The reason paladins were doing what you described was because there was no other way to really heal... and now... well... yea. I'm going to attempt to hela tonight but I have a feeling that even in full 346 I am going to be in a world of hurt trying to heal some of the more intensive fights. Heck; I had issues with some of them (SFK comes to mind) BEFORE these nerfs.
Edited by Telorith on 12/14/2010 1:51 PM PST
81 Orc Warrior
PfB
Nerfed the day Season9 starts :(
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the blue post on the reasons for these nerfs. Can you please explain why such major changes were not included in the list of hotfixes? I imagine that other classes had changes made as well and they would like to know what they were. Why can't these always be included in the list? We're going to find out, it's not cool to hide it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Really? why not just reduce the healing on LoD and/or prevent it from proccing Beacon? And/or increase the cost of Holy Light? Your reasoning is sound but you just took completely the wrong approach. You're basically making Holy Light useless and LoD nearly as useless. The only thing that was making the awful long cast and low hps of Holy Light worth it was the ability to generate holy power.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh you've got to be kidding me... This was mathed out the moment those changes were announced on the PTR. Everyone assumed that it would result in Light of Dawn not proccing Beacon, forcing the Paladin to choose between healing the raid or healing the tank, since Light of Dawn by itself wasn't going to deal with critical damage to the tank.

I understand that Light of Dawn was eclipsing Word of Glory, but by nerfing Holy Power generation, you nerfed both of them. Also, the claim

12/14/2010 1:37 PMPosted by Nethaera
it isn’t balanced if paladins are just as mana efficient as other healers and have several mana-free spells

only holds true if Paladins have equal regen to other classes. Right now, Divine Plea is in shambles, leaving Paladins to rely on spirit-based regen and Holy Power entirely. It also isn't like other classes don't have some kind of access to free or significantly reduced casts, and have solid active regen abilities.
100 Draenei Paladin
This is a terrible change- not because of the change itself but because of the ABRUPTNESS. You can't make such a major change like this in the middle of live servers. My guild was in the middle of dungeon runs when this occurred with NO warning.

At least tell people when 3 of their abilities are going to be worthless.
97 Undead Priest
How about just outright updating the tooltip then instead of making us think its a bug?
Tooltips are client side, to change the tooltip would require a patch to update the client while just changing how the spell works can be done server side.
90 Tauren Death Knight
12/14/2010 1:37 PMPosted by Nethaera
These hotfixes were intentional and we wanted to share more information about the "why" for you all here:

Mana is supposed to matter for healers, and in the case of Holy paladins, that just wasn’t happening. We were seeing raid groups attempting to learn new bosses where the other healers were out of mana while the paladins were still at 90% of mana. We also thought the experience of paladins healing harder heroic dungeons was inconsistent with that of other healers, or our design intent. We thought it was only a matter of time before groups started going out of their way to stack paladins for raids or recruit them for dungeon runs, which of course is not our intent. For this reason, we thought it was important to address this point now rather than sitting on it until a future patch.

The main culprit for the increased paladin efficiency this was Holy Power from Tower of Radiance. We were seeing a strategy develop where paladins would cast Holy Light on a Beaconed tank, and then cast Light of Dawn on the raid (and use very few other spells). This strategy was remarkably successful considering how simple it is. The Holy Power-based heals are supposed to be an important component of the paladin kit, but because Holy Light is designed to be super efficient, the overall strategy was too efficient. The intent of Tower of Radiance was to make directly healing a Beacon of Light target less punitive, but instead it was becoming the only smart way to play. You can still generate Holy Power by using Flash of Light or Divine Light on a Beaconed target, or through a variety of other ways. Remember, overall it isn’t balanced if paladins are just as mana efficient as other healers and have several mana-free spells.

Light of Dawn was adjusted because it was completely eclipsing Word of Glory. We lowered the healing of Word of Glory late in development, but also redesigned Light of Dawn. They had fallen out of sync, and Light of Dawn was just too good.

The real question of the day is why would you nerf something that every paladin uses, and do so with out mentioning it in the hot fix notes? That confuses and infuriates your player base. Atleast KNOWING about a nerf and not running a dungeon and being like "OMG WTH"... It doesn't make sense to me that Blizzard would leave out such a major change to the holy paladin rotation out of the Hot Fix notes.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I'm afraid that does it for me on Paladin healing. I had just gotten adjusted to the new style, and was just starting to like it. Then you guys deemed it necessary to apply the hotfix in the middle of a dungeon and not tell anyone about it for three hours, while totally destroying the healing style that I had just gotten accustomed to.

I really enjoyed healing while there was

a) a difference between healing classes,

b) an ability to make a difference, rather than merely buying an additional 45 seconds for a group to down a boss,

and c) a healing style I enjoyed.

Now there is none of the above. I'm no longer having fun with this. This was my main, but I guess I'll have to go to tanking or DPS.

And one more thing like this is likely to, for me, be the straw that breaks the camel's back: I'm literally one design flaw away from canceling my account.

I don't mind the challenge, don't get me wrong. The challenge was great. The problem is, healers are bearing the entirety of the challenge. I had just adjusted to the new style, and was liking it, then it suddenly changes in the middle of a heroic without any warning??

In addition to these flaws, the fact that it wasn't confirmed to be a patch (and the tooltip didn't change) for around 3 hours is indicative of extremely poor customer service.

Such a shame, Blizzard. You used to be so good.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]