The one thing that confuses me...

85 Draenei Shaman
Blizzard gives us all 100k+ HP, but gives us heals that keep us at around 40k HP or even less (Omega Stance anyone?) even when spamming our AoE heals.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike healing, and since I run with guildees and a tank who is awesome sauce, the "standing in fire" dilemma is pretty much a non-issue, but I find it odd that we all have this obscene (compared to previous expansions and classic) amount of HP, but none of our heals can seem to fill up that green bar.

It is 4:30am...I am probably not making any sense (-_-)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/15/2010 1:39 AMPosted by Aoisakuranbo
but I find it odd that we all have this obscene (compared to previous expansions and classic) amount of HP, but none of our heals can seem to fill up that green bar.

They aren't supposed to. Putting someone to full can get really mana stressing, and It's meant to keep you on your toes.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/15/2010 1:41 AMPosted by Practical
They aren't supposed to. Putting someone to full can get really mana stressing, and It's meant to keep you on your toes.

I know...that is what I mean. Why give us 100k HP but no way to fill it? Might as well have the 40~50k HP of Wrath (w/o the ICC buff) if that is the case.
Reply Quote
84 Undead Priest
Agreed. It's almost maddening to be watching someone's bar at 50% after the past few years. You want to make it full so BADLY but you can't without making your mana bar give you the sad face. I think when the tanks and DPS learn to use their self-heal and damage mitigation strategies better, it will be better. Goodness knows there is bound to be tweaking ahead.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I do not see the point of having dps with an extra 75k hp and still unable to take advantage of it. May as well leave the hp at 30k and healable rather then 105k and unhealable. We cannt afford to heal them unless they are below 30% anyways
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's annoying when a pull goes bad or the tank gets too many fire stacks in BRC but really i think it's fun to be able to juggle tank healing with making the most of my gcds and mana to get the group back up. There are times to burst back up but most of the time you can nickle and dime the dps' health up and maintain enough mana to finish the fights.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

I know...that is what I mean. Why give us 100k HP but no way to fill it? Might as well have the 40~50k HP of Wrath (w/o the ICC buff) if that is the case.

Cataclysm Mob hits Practical for 50K

Practical in Wrath gets killed!

Practical in Cataclysm has 40K Life left.

Healer does what now?

The last part gives us healers more to do. With higher health, not only do we live longer but we have more choices. Allows people to mess up if they aren't doing their job. That's a good thing.
Edited by Practical on 12/15/2010 1:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
They want healing to feel more like a triage job than keeping everyone in tip-top shape.

Hence, whole group is often taking damage throughout a fight, trash or boss, and the healer simply isn't given the resources to heal all the damage while in combat.

Success. Healing feels like triage now. Granted it also feel like D Day and you can't hope to keep people alive, but that will probably work itself out in a few weeks.

UNFORTUNATELY, a lot of the rest of the WoW community doesn't understand the changes to healing and health bars, and likes to kick healers when a boss fight ends and they're not at full hp.

It is tough to let go of the idea of topping people off, I totally agree. But this is a new expansion, and it seems like a different style of WoW.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Posted by Practical

Healer does what now?

She keeps you at 40k since you shouldn't have gotten hit for 50k to begin with :)

Just sayin'...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Posted by Powêrwordhug
<blockquote data-quote="15364260635"><div>Posted by Practical</div>

The last part gives us healers more to do. With higher health, not only do we live longer but we have more choices. Allows people to mess up if they aren't doing their job. That's a good thing.</blockquote>

Other way around. If you weren't paying attention in wrath and blinked at the wrong time, somebody died. In cata, the first 30 seconds of a pull I can go play with myself while the tank stays alive. They literally said that latency played too much of a part in wrath healing because you needed to be getting heals to the right people asap. It's not like that at all in the current model.

I think if you are on progression content (ie stuff you haven't done and is challenging) you would find it hard to do nothing for 30 seconds. With Wrath it was one button spam during aoe for most classes, now you see a variety of strategies for each class depending on how much damage went out and the time allotted for healing it.
Reply Quote
84 Undead Priest
Posted by Practical
Healer does what now?

The last part gives us healers more to do. With higher health, not only do we live longer but we have more choices. Allows people to mess up if they aren't doing their job. That's a good thing.

People take damage and we heal them. That's rather the definition of healing, it doesn't give us "more to do". It's the same thing on a different scale and we spam a different button(s) now. I never only used one spell, so I personally just switched which my go-to heal is.

The point is, if your healing target has 100k HP but spends 90% of the fights at 40% anyway, why do they even HAVE 100K? Because big numbers make us go "Ooooo"?

Maybe it will make more sense in Raids when you have more than one healer and the tank does need to stay near full..?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Healer does what now?

Practical needed better gear. >.>

In all seriousness though ... here's what would happen...

Practical receives Greater Heal from Priest for 20k (60k health).
Practical in Cataclysm gets hit for 15k (45k health).
Practical receives Greater Heal from Priest for 20k (65k health).
Practical in Cataclysm gets hit for 15k (50k health).
Healer has to move.
Practical in Cataclysm gets hit for 15k (35k health).
Practical finally dies because the healer couldn't actually net a gain on his health.
Or
DPS dies because the healer falls behind and can't heal anyone besides the tank.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I think the other thing is to remember a lot of us came in to cata in full 277 gear after doing faceroll content, and we're back in the equivalent of scrubby greens again.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't take so much time and mana to heal everyone AFTER THE BOSS FIGHT. Nothing is more obnoxious than having to spend 30+ seconds mashing gheal on everyone adn then drinking up cause the stupid boss fights require everyone to be at half health by the end and only warlocks are given a free "heal up out of combat" spell. Everyone should have insane OOC regen imho.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/15/2010 2:21 AMPosted by Belara
I think the other thing is to remember a lot of us came in to cata in full 277 gear after doing faceroll content, and we're back in the equivalent of scrubby greens again.

But that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that our heals aren't meant to keep everyone at full. The devs have said in numerous posts that we aren't supposed to be able to keep everyone topped off, and with the current cost of spell and their strength, this is nigh impossible anyway, so why do we have 100k HP? It is like healing H-Anub but on every single pull :3

Posted by Gimpheala
I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't take so much time and mana to heal everyone AFTER THE BOSS FIGHT. Nothing is more obnoxious than having to spend 30+ seconds mashing gheal on everyone adn then drinking up cause the stupid boss fights require everyone to be at half health by the end and only warlocks are given a free "heal up out of combat" spell. Everyone should have insane OOC regen imho.

After every boss fight, and even some trash pulls:
1) Drink
2) Healing Rain
3) Mash CH
4) Give up on CH since their HP bar barely moves
5) Healing Surge everyone to full
6) Drink some more
7) *optional* If in a pug, get yelled at for taking so long >_>
Reply Quote
Incoming damage, HP pool, and heals are all modeled as "leaky bucket buffer model". Surprisingly MSDN gave the best explanation after a quick google. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd206751%28VS.85%29.aspx

Heals (HPS) = input flow, damage (incoming DPS) = output flow.
Underflows = dead people.

WotLK surprisingly ignored this model and kind of "got away" with it. So now Bliz wants to return to the good old buffering model, and it looks like they're just tuning the input flow (heals) vs output flow (incoming damage) in combat. No where in this model would you need the buffer to be full to avoid underflows, in fact it's normally best to keep buffers less than 90% full to avoid overflows (overheal). To see happy 100% green bars is just a human desire that the model never accounted for.
Reply Quote
The HP is there BECAUSE your heals heal for so low. That's to allow the dps room to live on a one or two mistakes. Most damage to dps does not come from aoe. It comes from them messing up. Seriously, I've healed a ton of heroics without any problem. That's what it comes down to.

WE ARE NOT THE SOLE SAVIORS OF THE GROUP

Take your time to heal them up if they're at 50%. That's what the hp is there for.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Posted by Aultmore
No where in this model would you need the buffer to be full to avoid underflows, in fact it's normally best to keep buffers less than 90% full to avoid overflows (overheal). To see happy 100% green bars is just a human desire that the model never accounted for.

I am not saying that we need to see 100% bar to be happy, but it makes no sense to have that much HP and NOT be able to do anything with it. Yes, we don't overheal now since it is impossible to do so, but having DPS almost dead at the end of boss fights shouldn't be the alternative.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Posted by Wirius
The HP is there BECAUSE your heals heal for so low. That's to allow the dps room to live on a one or two mistakes. Most damage to dps does not come from aoe. It comes from them messing up. Seriously, I've healed a ton of heroics without any problem. That's what it comes down to.

WE ARE NOT THE SOLE SAVIORS OF THE GROUP

I don't know about you, but my job is to heal. Period. I should not have to pray that a warrior will use his frenzied regen or that a rogue will use his *insert that new rogue heal here* because my 6k (Not really sure what it is hitting for, I will have to actually look) healing wave barely makes a dent on their HP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]