So elemental has huge issues...

85 Goblin Shaman
The vast majority of the community dislikes Earthquake. It's useless in PVE because we oom on boss fights before 90% if we aoe adds. It's useless in PVP because of obvious reasons. It should be baseline and mana cost reduced by like 50%.

We need a 31 point talent similar to shadowfury or one similar to dispersion that allows us to restore mana. Currently, once we OOM (which we do a lot in pve and pvp), we're just 100% done. We stand there and spam lightning bolts every other GCD. It's honestly terrible. I thought ranged dps wasn't supposed to have to worry about mana.

Our self-healing OOMs us in PVP quicker than anything else. Other classes who have stuns and control and survivability and greater mobility than us that don't rely on self-heals have greater self-heals than us.

And of course, as already mentioned, our mana issues...We OOM...everywhere...pve, pvp, boss fights, trash...it's terrible. We either need to have mana regen buffed BIG TIME...or we need to have a 31 point talent that restores mana similar to dispersion or evocation.

--

I think what the elemental community wants to know now is if we should stick it out and wait for it to be fixed, go resto or enh now, or just reroll.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Oh good, I'm not the only one having this issue. I thought for sure I was doing something wrong... I still might be, but either way I go OOM very quickly.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
GTL
Don't spec Earthquake...even for PvE, they will get the picture. It's completely garbage.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
12/15/2010 7:08 AMPosted by Ruhn
I think what the elemental community wants to know now is if we should stick it out and wait for it to be fixed, go resto or enh now, or just reroll.

Just a guess as someone who played Ele through Wrath, I'd say going resto/enh or just re-rolling now wouldn't be a bad thing. /wink
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I mean I leveled a priest to 85 on the beta before my shaman...and I didn't think shadow priests were nearly as bad as elemental shamans as far as mana goes.

Everywhere I look I see elemental shamans complaining about mana. That is here, Elitist Jerks, Arena Junkies, mmo-c, and so on...I've seen maybe 3-4 complaints from shadow priests. They, however, get a blue post the very next day stating that their mana issues are known and will be addressed by the dev community.

Meanwhile, these mana issues, we talked about almost 4 months ago on the beta...and have NEVER received a blue response. Like I said, we just want to know if we should hang on...or give up.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Thunderstorm every 35 seconds.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Trust me, I do. I even have power auras set up to show exactly when it's off cooldown. If you did want to use earthquake during a fight...you could thunderstorm every 35 seconds...and then earthquake every 80 seconds. And do nothing in between because, quite simply, we burn through our mana FAR too quickly.

Being stuck at the end of a fight spamming lightning bolts every other GCD is NOT fun...and not how the elemental community wants to play the game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
12/15/2010 7:14 AMPosted by Rokco
earthquake is totatlly useless, waste of mana (13k)

Just like Blizzard/Rain of Fire/Hurricane and maybe even mind sear, except it's your 31 point talent. I'd agree with making it baseline, or removing these spells all together since they are absolutely worthless now, except maybe rain of fire cuz locks mana pool is pretty much unlimited.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I found Earthquake to be useful on Magmaw parasites and Maloriak on poison phase to kill adds. Could just be me though. Earthquake has its uses 5% of the time.
Reply Quote
11 Gnome Mage
Meh. I guess the new forums can eat posts too. What I was going to say, short version:

EQ isn't actually any worse for mana than other AoE spells. In fact, elemental as a whole is better off in that respect than most specs because of Thunderstorm.

There are, in my opinion, two problems with the spell:
A) That its damage is weak unless combined with Thunderstorm and Magma Totem. This can't really be changed at this point without a major revamp of at least the later, so it's something we really just have to accept. However, despite that, the spell's mechanics feel like they want us to be using EQ exclusively in AoE situations.

B) The spell has no use in PvP at all. The spell wants to be something like Mages' ring of frost (a utility/mass CC/"roadblock" type ability for choke points, etc) but it fails for the same reason that Blizzard, despite being a similar function to Ring of Frost, also failed for that purpose -- it's too expensive, too risky, and the returns are too low even if used in a perfectly ideal situation. PvP shamans will always skip the point entirely, which, as the devs have mentioned in the past, is a mark of a failure on their part to make the 31 point talent attractive.

The spell needs to be changed in some way that it's better suited for its actual role. It's a spell that we use as PART of our AoE in PvP, and a spell that should have a place in PvP.

The only solution I can think of for the PvP side would be to glyph it to reduce the damage or add a cooldown or something, but greatly increase its utility function. For PvE, the spell needs to be adjusted in some way such that it's suited to be used as part of a melee-range AoE kit -- something like making it castable while on the move.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Our DPS is a lot better and Im very happy with it but that doesnt mean there still arent issues that should be addressed. Like lava surge, why hasnt this been fixed when the similar spell for both balance druids and locks was?
Reply Quote
I was doing some BGs today trying to gear up before the weekend to play some arenas, and our mana issues are a glaring problem. I literally couldn't fight for 30 seconds before stopping and having to drink. Makes the whole experience obnoxious and not fun.

7k mana to drop 4 totems? is this a joke? (and no i'm not a bad who can only drop 4 at a time if i only really need 1) Totems used to be cheap because they were so easy to replace but somehow this got lost along the way. 7k mana is a 10th of my pool.

I use thunderstorm as a defensive cooldown. I'm not just gonna pop it every 35 seconds regardless of the situation because 90% of the time when I do use it just to get mana back a melee is on me and i wish i hadn't have wasted it. (not to mention the spell only knocks the opponent back 4 yards 3/4th the time anyways but still)

6k+ mana for chain lightnings? why is it on such a short cooldown if its impossible to be any part of my pvp rotation at that ridiculous cost. I know its early in the xpac, but it makes me wonder if any of this was tested or the dev team looked at any of the communities feedback.

Earthquake- I don't think I even need to waste my time discussing this garbage spell.

Glyph of Elemental Mastery- A defensive cooldown tied to our offensive burst spell. Terrible design. What a mindless bandaide fix or our lack of defensive abilities.

TLDR; ele has major fundamental design flaws

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I hear Clearcasting reduces mana cost by 40%. Maybe you should use your big mana costly spells for that and you wont go oom in 30 seconds. We cant just go spamming everything we have like in wrath yo!
Reply Quote
I hear Clearcasting doesn't effect the cost of dropping 4 totems. Even so, aren't totems used for initial setup? How am I suppose to get a clearcasting proc before I'm engaged?

So chain lightning is only intended to be used when I have a proc? Why not make it like mage's arcane missles then and only have the spell available certain times? I understand your point, but if I use chain lightning exclusively when I have clearcasting up how much more time does that buy me? Yay i lasted 45 seconds this time!
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Why doesnt clear casting work on earth quake? Thats another thing that should be fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
It's not like we can even drop our 4 totems then start the fight...if we do that either searing totem ends up standing there like a bump on a log or elemental totem ends up standing there doing nothing -- as seen in magmaw videos, btw.

ALL of this was discussed during the beta...in nice, well-mannered, formal posts. It was apparently all overlooked or just plain ignored.

--

In either event, everything else aside, the mana issues NEED to be addressed. We should be tuned to the point where if we're standing somewhere spamming LB, we are GAINING mana. Otherwise, we're going to OOM when other things come into play. OR, as suggested, give us a 31 point talent that replenishes a large percentage of our mana pool and also reduces dmg taken during that time -- something along the lines of dispersion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]