Divine Light > Holy Light now

100 Human Paladin
With Holy Light no longer generating Holy Power, we no longer have any reason to cast Holy Light anymore on beacon'd targets. For targets with beacon, DL will outperform HL in every way: HPS (healing per second) and HPM (healing per mana). These are some sample numbers to prove my point:

Word of Glory: 4,620 (glyphed) per point
Eternal Glory talent increases the effectiveness by 30%
Word of Glory: 4,620 * 1.3 = 6,006 (glyphed & with EG) per point

Divine Light: 22,727 + 6,006 (from Holy Power gained) = 28,733
30% base mana / 7,420 mana; 2.5 second cast
28,733 / 2.5 = 11,494 HPS
28,733 / 7420 = 3.8724 HPM

Holy Light: 8,520
9% base mana / 2,226 mana; 2.5 second cast
8,520 / 2.5 = 3,408 HPS
8,520 / 2,226 = 3.8275 HPM

SUMMARY:
Divine Light: . . . . . . . . 11,494 HPS . . . . . . . . . . 3.8724 HPM
Holy Light: . . . . . . . . . . 3,408 HPS . . . . . . . . . . 3.8275 HPM
So, what happened to Holy Light being our "go-to" or "auto-attack" heal? Seems like now, if we cast Holy Light, we're only punching ourselves in the face.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/15/2010 10:44 AMPosted by Kaellus
except if you spam divine ligh you run out of mana in a few seconds so were going to still use holy light man..though i didnt know holy light no longer gives us holy power for healing the beacon thats lame :(

Maybe you missed the part of DL giving more HPM than HL. Considering overhealing is less of an issue in cata, technically, you'll run OOM more often if you use Holy Light instead of Divine Light.
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
Huh, guess I need to take this into consideration in my theorycrafting.

The HPS on DL is too high because you didn't take into consideration the GCD's WoG would consume, but the end conclusion remains the remain.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Huh, guess I need to take this into consideration in my theorycrafting.

The HPS on DL is too high because you didn't take into consideration the GCD's WoG would consume, but the end conclusion remains the remain.

Yea, but if you think about it, throughput for DL is 3 times greater than that of HL... so in the end, you're looking at more GCD to spare if you use DL as opposed to HL, which also means you have more time to spam Judgment on every cooldown and get more mana back.
Edited by Sejitsu on 12/15/2010 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
What blizz is tryin to do is to get us to focus more on our combination of healing instead of mass spaming 2 heals..

Flash heal - Oh ##%@ tank might die heal

Holy light- Average heal

Divine Light - massive heal for heavy damage

Word of glory - insta cast free spell with holy power

Light of dawn - insta cast aoe heal with holy power

Holy radiance - AOE heal

Holy Shock - Insta heal on target

With the amount of heals we have at hand there should be no reason for anyone qq'n about the new nerfs. You can easy, hl..shock, shock, word of glory the tank to full. If you keep a good rotation of your heals, judges ( every 5 secs ) and divine plea there will be no worries for mana either. I honestly think people are just complaining for the hell of it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Posted by Iblëssëd

With the amount of heals we have at hand there should be no reason for anyone qq'n about the new nerfs. You can easy, hl..shock, shock, word of glory the tank to full. If you keep a good rotation of your heals, judges ( every 5 secs ) and divine plea there will be no worries for mana either. I honestly think people are just complaining for the hell of it.

You missed the part where HL isn't worth casting anymore. The change to healing effectively removed a spell from our spellbooks AND they went ahead and nerfed the ae heal just to rub a little salt in.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Posted by Azzerack
<blockquote data-quote="15363466133"><div>Posted by Iblëssëd</div>

With the amount of heals we have at hand there should be no reason for anyone qq'n about the new nerfs. You can easy, hl..shock, shock, word of glory the tank to full. If you keep a good rotation of your heals, judges ( every 5 secs ) and divine plea there will be no worries for mana either. I honestly think people are just complaining for the hell of it.</blockquote>

You missed the part where HL isn't worth casting anymore. The change to healing effectively removed a spell from our spellbooks AND they went ahead and nerfed the ae heal just to rub a little salt in.

Yes you no longer get granted holy power from HL but thats not the point. You still have a vast amount of other heals at your finger tips. HL cost 2107 mana.. with me still spamming HL, HS, and the occasional DL and FOL in dire moments to catch im still able to be granted full holy power for my insta cast WoG or LoD.

And on the side not, have you actually seen how much HS is refreshed after casting ? Iv been granted so many HS that i don't know what to do with them, and they just keep filling my Holy power up. You have to adapted to the new healing methods giving, its not going to be easy by any means its not supposed to be. They are trying to make it balance, so no single class of healer would be singled out. The game is ment to be hard.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I've basically stopped using HL except in rare circumstances where I might want a small heal to top off a DPS and nobody needs my heals with any urgency. It's working just as well as pre-nerf for me in terms of mana efficiency and longevity. Anyway, it's basically the same playstyle, but a little less dynamic and interesting.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/15/2010 12:16 PMPosted by Iblëssëd
Yes you no longer get granted holy power from HL but thats not the point.

Actually, it is the point. It doesn't generate holy power AND it is less efficient than divine light.

That makes it a spell that isn't worth casting.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I haven't run a dungeon since this HL change, so this is the first time I'm hearing of it.

I am disappoint.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Posted by Iblëssëd
What blizz is tryin to do is to get us to focus more on our combination of healing instead of mass spaming 2 heals..

Flash heal - Oh ##%@ tank might die heal

Holy light- Average heal

Divine Light - massive heal for heavy damage

Word of glory - insta cast free spell with holy power

Light of dawn - insta cast aoe heal with holy power

Holy radiance - AOE heal

Holy Shock - Insta heal on target

Yeah that rotation would never cut it in heroics. That may work on 1 mob hitting the tank, but how often does that happen due to group makeups? Also, yeah right on boss fights, hell, that wouldn't even cut it on norm boss fights.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Posted by Illumina
With Holy Light no longer generating Holy Power, we no longer have any reason to cast Holy Light anymore on beacon'd targets. For targets with beacon, DL will outperform HL in every way: HPS (healing per second) and HPM (healing per mana). These are some sample numbers to prove my point:

Word of Glory: 4,620 (glyphed) per point

Eternal Glory talent increases the effectiveness by 30%

Word of Glory: 4,620 * 1.3 = 6,006 (glyphed & with EG) per point

Divine Light: 22,727 + 6,006 (from Holy Power gained) = 28,733

30% base mana / 7,420 mana; 2.5 second cast

28,733 / 2.5 = 11,494 HPS

28,733 / 7420 = 3.8724 HPM

Holy Light: 8,520

9% base mana / 2,226 mana; 2.5 second cast

8,520 / 2.5 = 3,408 HPS

8,520 / 2,226 = 3.8275 HPM

SUMMARY:

Divine Light: . . . . . . . . 11,494 HPS . . . . . . . . . . 3.8724 HPM

Holy Light: . . . . . . . . . . 3,408 HPS . . . . . . . . . . 3.8275 HPM

So, what happened to Holy Light being our "go-to" or "auto-attack" heal? Seems like now, if we cast Holy Light, we're only punching ourselves in the face.

The problem with your theory crafting is that it doesn't take any procs into consideration. So yes comparing just the two spells DL will look better. However you're not takinginto account that you end up with less daybreak procs and less trinket/weapon proc up time because you will be casting less often.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/15/2010 1:29 PMPosted by Helais
The problem with your theory crafting is that it doesn't take any procs into consideration. So yes comparing just the two spells DL will look better. However you're not takinginto account that you end up with less daybreak procs and less trinket/weapon proc up time because you will be casting less often.

I don't understand why. DL's cast time is the same as HL. The procs will be the same unless you mean that you want intentionally to let your tank not be at full HP.
Reply Quote
5 Orc Warrior

While true, adding in trinket to the equation complicates things beyond degree. Casting less may be bad for triggering procs, but at times it can also be good when you're starving for GCD to use Cleanse and/or Judgments. Considering how you need to be judging on every cooldown, I'd take a spell with 3x more HPS so I have more GCDs freed up.
Reply Quote
5 Orc Warrior
Posted by Bionix
[quote="null"]15361868090

I don't understand why. DL's cast time is the same as HL. The procs will be the same unless you mean that you want intentionally to let your tank not be at full HP.[/quote]

I think what he means is if you're using DL, you wouldn't be spamming it like you would with HL because it heals for so much more and thus might often top off your tank.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Posted by Imaka

While true, adding in trinket to the equation complicates things beyond degree. Casting less may be bad for triggering procs, but at times it can also be good when you're starving for GCD to use Cleanse and/or Judgments. Considering how you need to be judging on every cooldown, I'd take a spell with 3x more HPS so I have more GCDs freed up.

I agree I just wanted to point out that the numbers can be a tad misleading without that note though :) GJ otherwise
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok to prove to a few people here since the changes to holy light / Radiance I still go into a H with a pug, keeping around my 50-60k Mana pool during boss/trash pools without having to cast Divine Light or Flash of Light.

Max Mana right now its 77,967 mana pool.

Basically the person making the topic has pointed out to suggest using divine light more. He's done his homework but he's forgotten to add in the critical effects of Holy Lights and Holy shock procs giving word of glory more of appeal then wanting to use 7,026 of my Mana compared to a 2107 Mana users.

Even tho our Mastery sucks I rather have the 2 times heal with absorption rathing having a big heal absorption that only last 6 secs instead of having 2 moderate heals with the same effect.

People need to play by there own play style and make decisions based on the fight instead of whats on a chart imo.
Edited by Neogenesis on 12/15/2010 2:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Ive been using Flash of light to fill in for holy light. I dont spam either, if there is little to no damage being taken, trash or whatever, ill use holy light on people to top off. However, during the fight, i decide on which depending on health, if they are below 70%, ill use DL, if they are above, ill use FoL for the stack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]