A Ret suggestion...

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have found like every other Ret player that my DPS is lower (Shocking news, I know) but my role within the dungeons is also a lot different.

Before Cata the only time I healed was in an extreme situation. Such as the healer dying or leaving. Beyond that I never looked at the tank or healer, and just did my damage.

When I have been in Cata dungeons my role feels a lot different. Yea I am still doing damage, but I am also healing the tank and other DPS, including myself. I feel like the back up healer. Even with a fantastic healer I still have to watch things and throw out a WoG.

I think sometimes we are thinking too much as 'just dps' and not stepping outside of that. I find ret to be a good challenge in the dungeons. To put it into perspective my husband plays a shadow priest. We often do dungeons together. When we talk about the dungeons later I can tell him how the healer's mana was and the health of the group. He doesn't even look at that in dungeons. He didn't see the tank almost die, the healer running low on mana and so forth because he does so much damage with his priest that he doesn't bother looking at the rest of the group. I on the other hand am watching everything. I find dungeons to be challenging and when you have a good group together it's a great challenge.

I don't think everyone will agree and that is fine, I just don't see my role in dungeons as pure damage anymore. And quite frankly, I really like it. I think what they have done in cata is to make the dungeon a more solid group effort which is actually pretty cool and kinda exciting for me. WotLK dungeons were boring... damage damage damage, loot, damage damage damage, loot. End of dungeon.

Are there any other rets really enjoying their spec and new role like I am? Or am I in the minority?
Reply Quote
78 Tauren Warrior
When you mention doing dungeons with your husband. I'm sure he was just going through your dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Agreed with a majority of your feeling.

I think a lot of the negativity on these boards right now are from tunnel vision rets that don't understand or care about the support aspect of their class. We're a damage dealer but we're so much more than that.

That being said. Our mastery still sucks and there's mastery rating on EVERYTHING which is annoying as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't even consider mastery at this point. It isn't really doing anything for us. I think ret still needs a lot of work. If this is where they are going for us then we need more balance in the heal to dps. I have to say it is sometimes really frustrating during pvp for ret. If it wasn't for avenging wrath every tom %*%@ and harry would have me killed within seconds. I just don't think we were nerfed as badly as everyone else thinks. I just think what they have in mind for ret's role is changing.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
I am currently a 83 ret pally and always hit the lowest DPS, except for the healer. What specs in gear should I get and how do I find out which are the best moves/talents to use and how to use them. I know this sounds like a total noob question but I still feel like one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I did this during WoTLK, and was just as viable in doing it during WoTLK as I am now. We're a DPS spec, and we shouldn't be reduced to being second-rate DPS in favor of being a second-rate healer at the same time. Helping the group out with support is great, but it shouldn't come at the cost of DPS; especially so since we are a Blizzard-proclaimed DPS spec.

Our utility is the same, it hasn't changed. We are just as capable as we were in WoTLK at helping out with healing, CC, etc.
Edited by Nyklos on 12/15/2010 10:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/15/2010 7:30 PMPosted by Loligigi
I have to say it is sometimes really frustrating during pvp for ret. If it wasn't for avenging wrath every tom %*%@ and harry would have me killed within seconds. I just don't think we were nerfed as badly as everyone else thinks. I just think what they have in mind for ret's role is changing.

Seriously....How could a role for RET change its a DPS spec not a healing spec. Blizz just farked us up on this one
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I didn't say that we couldn't do better with DPS - we should be but I don't mind a dual role either. Especially when your by yourself, you shouldn't have to pull all tricks in PvP to barely survive. I don't think they will ever stop tinkering with us, but right now I am enjoying this role while it lasts.

12/15/2010 9:42 PMPosted by Haircreme
I am currently a 83 ret pally and always hit the lowest DPS, except for the healer. What specs in gear should I get and how do I find out which are the best moves/talents to use and how to use them. I know this sounds like a total noob question but I still feel like one.

http://retributionpaladins.com/
http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t106276-retribution_concordance_4_0_1_a/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Who is Ghostcrawler? I am assuming some sort of well known troll on this forum?

Anyways, no one has to agree with me. I enjoy my spec right now even though there are things that need to change. I am not about to just throw away my main over it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
No, Ghostcrawler is the lead class developer IIRC.

The problem is, the DPS/healer hybrid thing works well with guildmates and in 5-mans. When we hit raiding, though, we are going to find ourselves a shunned spec again. The reason so many people are jumping ship immediately is that they remember going through this in Vanilla and BC.

I ran as prot during BC (not this alt) and had to move heaven and earth to let my raid buddies (normally a very laid-back group of folks) let me even *try* running as Ret DPS in Kharazan when the Retribution spec first started getting changes to make us a viable spec. I and many other paladins would *not* like to see a return to those days.

Personally I'm staying on board to see what Blizz does with the spec. The new system has potential, but needs quite a few kinks worked out.

My main issue at the moment is that I can simply activate my Protection spec and get predictable DPS 20% higher than my average Ret DPS in the same gear (aside from weapon & shield, of course). Given the focus of the specs and the immense amount of survivability gained by speccing for Protection, this simply just should not be the case. I'm still catching up with guildmates to test it out, but I'm almost positive I could run in Prot as a DPSer, just leave Righteous Fury off, and maintain the same numbers and gap between specs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Soloing can suck and I have yet to do an actual raid. My guild ran Zul'Gurub before it ended but there was only four of us, three 80's and I was a 72 at the time (and that was only an attempt by one of the 80's to get the pet and mount before they took it away). I haven't done an actual raid and i don't know if I will. Raids can last a long time and I have an infant daughter - that doesn't go well together.

I think only time will tell what will happen to our spec, for dungeons I like the challenge. Once I get to 85 I will probably start working on one of my alts so I have options when I want to run dungeons. Plus I just want to get the experience of playing other classes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]