Elitists saying: "QQ more healers!" To you...

86 Human Paladin
To all the nay-sayers saying: "QQ more healers!"

First off we can all agree the game was insanely too easy in WoTLK. Epics were handed out like candy at a doctor's office to every Jon and Jill that played the game, and healers were impossible to kill in pvp. However...

While raiding in Old WoW was great, and challanging, there wasn't much for the average player to do. In WoTLK everyone could raid and get gear, and it frustrated all of the better players. Blizzard made it a laughing stock to raid, even the 'heroic' difficulty on raids was a complete joke. But what happened is that Blizzard made such an enormous leap with playstyle, that most players are dazed and confused.

Why not take a ladder-like approach to this whole situation. Give the hardcore players some hard-ass content to sink their teeth into, while allowing the average player to run some instances and get lower quality gear? Hmm? Have possibly one type of instance give JP and another give VP? Now, I can foresee this happening in the future, it sure as hell isn't happening now.

Should MMOs be reserved for elitist players such as yourself? The answer? They shouldn't. HOWEVER, the epic quality gear should. The highest tier of current gear should be hard as HELL to get. However, this doesn't mean that making the role of most healers nigh-impossible to play at previous levels will accomplish that. (Previous levels meaning healing in BC / WOTLK)

If Blizzard aquiesces to the demand of the top ONE PERCENT of players, and makes the game this hard...how many people do you think will continue to play? Or, more specifically play healers? Fundamentaly changing how healing works in this game practically over-night while introducing harder content is going to alienate a large portion of their player base.

I have been playing since release, and I don't find the new healing changes enjoyable. I realize that you elitists like MMOs for the competition, and having things other players don't, and being better than everyone else and all that jazz, but you can have that, and we can have our fun too. It's not about handing everyone a gold medal, but it is about allowing people to have fun. That is, after the defintion of a GAME;

- Noun: An amusement or past-time
- fun; sport of any kind,
- an activity that involves skill that brings amusement, either for the player or the spectators

It aggrivates me that tanks and DPS are flaming healers so badly, and even booting them out of groups when they OOM. I am DS- Prot and Holy, so I understand the two harder mechanics of the game. DPSing has NOT been changed. Sure maybe some abilities here and there have changed, but your playstyle is relatively the same. Stop giving healers such a hard time, we're all adjusting!

P.S - To all your flamers with your macho-elitist talk, and your obvious prowess in the vocabulary and grammer departments, I would think you'd understand something as simple as the definition, and true purpose of a game. To have fun for all those involved.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
12/14/2010 5:25 PMPosted by Behldan
First off we can all agree the game was insanely too easy in WoTLK.

I love when people say this, but they don't have things like heroic LK, Yogg+0, tribute to dedicated insanity, herald of the titans, etc.

Let's get something straight right now.

WotLK had something for everyone, but towards the end of the xpac gearing in t9 and t10 was simple because you didn't have to step foot into a raid for anything. Seeing how it was the END OF THE XPAC and people were GEARING UP THEIR ALTS, no one REALLY had an issue with it.

The issue came from bad players getting INCREDIBLY cocky about their 'skill' because they had an ungemmed, unenchanted 4set t10 from vastly outgearing the heroics they needed to grind.

But if anyone thinks that's all wrath was, they're kidding themselves.

Blizzard said oh ho ho, they want hard content, wait until they see what we have in store for cataclsym! We're gonna make heroics HARD again. Sure, fine. But all that they succeeded in doing was to make a new generation of elitists while homogenizing healers and punishing them with boring spells, and severe mana issues.

Awesome.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
You took one sentence, from my entire page, and derived an incredibly different outcome than the over-all meaning of my post :P
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
You have very valid arguements:

- this is a game and should be fun

- each level of player should have something available to them

- no one group of people should demand to be catered

I believe the point I got is that healers are receiving a hard time from others. If that's the case, then you should continue to explain to them your role in the game, because they obviously have no idea. In this day in age, we all need to be aware of each other's roles, strengths, and weaknesses.

'cause knowledge is power!

EDIT: I'd comment on the other guy, but he missed the point lol
Edited by Lucylia on 12/14/2010 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/14/2010 5:31 PMPosted by Lucylia
I believe the point I got is that healers are receiving a hard time from others. If that's the case, then you should continue to explain to them your role in the game, because they obviously have no idea. In this day in age, we all need to be aware of each other's roles, strengths, and weaknesses.

Why would people even take any smack talk from anyone in game. Just /ignore and move on.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
12/14/2010 5:31 PMPosted by Behldan
You took one sentence, from my entire page, and derived an incredibly different outcome than the over-all meaning of my post :P

I took that sentence because that has been screamed on the general forums and every kind of forum, and in game since ToC came out.

And that's the reason why we're experiencing these issues with healing right now. I'm not saying YOU are wrong, I'm saying that's a mentality that a lot of players had.

I've had to listen to so many non 85 healers who haven't stepped foot in heroics tell me how awesome it is that heroics are hard again, and that healers who can't keep up on it are just bad.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Oh, and Viensa, my guild was the second on our server to kill Yogg-Saron :P LK wasn't hard...at all on normal. Like...barely even a challange. WoTLK was nothing compared to BC and Vanilla raiding. Don't pretend it was.

But that's NOT the point of my post. My point was that people don't understand how HARD healing has become, and monotonous. You're right. We're relagated to having only a handful of abilities to use now to heal. It's tremendously boring. Having to stare at my mana bar and decide who I can heal and with which spell is not fun. It's slow and stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/14/2010 5:25 PMPosted by Behldan
Blizzard made it a laughing stock to raid, even the 'heroic' difficulty on raids was a complete joke.

With all due respect to you and your point of view. you didn't touch most of the heroic mode fights in ICC, which were respectable challenges, particularly when the ICC buff was low. I certainly wouldn't characterize them as a "complete joke." Except maybe in the sense that everything in the game is a complete joke once you've practiced it enough to do it flawlessly five or six times in a row.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Through a learning curve, you will make mistakes and learn from them. Some people are not willing to understand, try to learn for themselves, or do anything different at all. This breed of stubborn breeds a stigma in the community of a server and especially in randoms.

When it become the majority mindset, the situation gets nasty.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
12/14/2010 5:34 PMPosted by Viensa
I've had to listen to so many non 85 healers who haven't stepped foot in heroics tell me how awesome it is that heroics are hard again, and that healers who can't keep up on it are just bad.

Truth. Can't stand that.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
<blockquote data-quote="15361255637"><div>Posted by Dreuel</div>With all due respect to you and your point of view. you didn't touch most of the heroic mode fights in ICC, which were respectable challenges, particularly when the ICC buff was low. I certainly wouldn't characterize them as a "complete joke." Except maybe in the sense that everything in the game is a complete joke once you've practiced it enough to do it flawlessly five or six times in a row.</blockquote>

I have done, and completed almost every heroic mode in Ulduar, ToGC and ICC...just not on this character. So yeah... heh. I have five characters that were 80 in wotlk on this account, and I've owned three accounts; two alliance and one horde. I've done plenty of hard modes :) But again, you're not getting the point of the post. This is a thread about the lack abilities, and fun incorporated into the new Healing playstyle.
Edited by Behldan on 12/14/2010 5:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
12/14/2010 5:35 PMPosted by Behldan
Oh, and Viensa, my guild was the second on our server to kill Yogg-Saron :P LK wasn't hard...at all on normal. Like...barely even a challange. WoTLK was nothing compared to BC and Vanilla raiding. Don't pretend it was.

I said Yogg+0.

And heroic LK. And Herald of the Titans. And Tribute to Insanity + Tribute to Dedicated Insanity. Not normal Yogg-Saron.

but whatever, that's getting off topic.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
It is getting off topic :) And in my OP I said that raiding was too easy. Which it was. Sure, there were a HANDFUL of hard encounters, which you brought up. But for the most part, it was easy.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I was following you until this post.

We're relagated to having only a handful of abilities to use now to heal. It's tremendously boring.

Point one, if you are "relegated" to using "only a handful of abilities", you have both limited yourself by not making use of every spell you have AND not read a very specific important blue post, which told you to do that :P

Having to stare at my mana bar and decide who I can heal and with which spell is not fun. It's slow and stupid.

If you make use of everything you have, it becomes active decision making because of your options. If that level of focus and attention in the playstyle isn't fun, then healing isn't for you then ;)

EDIT: I can name every ability that Holy Pallies have in order to be an effective healer. I have one.
Edited by Lucylia on 12/14/2010 5:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I'd just like to say that I am Canadian and not only does my doctor not hand out candy, it's easier to staple jello to a wall than it is to get an appointment with him. Ya, "free health care" would rock if we actually got it. At least in WotLK the doctors were on call and the candy was real and the taxes, like the thrills, were cheap.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
12/14/2010 5:43 PMPosted by Behldan
It is getting off topic :) And in my OP I said that raiding was too easy. Which it was. Sure, there were a HANDFUL of hard encounters, which you brought up. But for the most part, it was easy.

That's because those hard encounters were meant for the top of the top raiders. Blizzard didn't want a repeat of Sunwell where no one even stepped foot in it unless you were a top, top, top raiding/progression guild.

When judging wrath, people need to understand that if you want to compare TBC to Wrath, you have to compare TBC to hardmodes of Wrath, not normal modes. Normal modes were so more casual players could see the encounters and learn to raid, and progress at their own pace.

But blah blah blah, healing isn't fun, I agree with that.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
12/14/2010 5:43 PMPosted by Lucylia
If you make use of everything you have, it becomes active decision making because of your options. If that level of focus and attention in the playstyle isn't fun, then healing isn't for you then ;)

I do use practically every ability at my disposal. But realistically, to keep my mana bar from hitting 0, and keeping everyone alive, I have found I am basically casting (slowly) holy-light on people for a whopping 7-10k, and using Holy Shock when it's available. Sure, I use Infusion of Light to cast a DL on the tank quickly to charge a Holy Power.

But for the most part I do what I did in WoTLK, spam 1 or 2 buttons, but the heals are exponentially slower, they heal for less, and I OOM quickly if I decide to use some of my other abilities - FoL, Holy Radiance etc. Oh, and LoD is so painful to use unless people stack up, which they can't because every boss has ridiculous concentrated conal or AoE attacks.

What I'm saying is, I feel like they have greatly slowed the pace of healing in this game, while DPSing and Tanking is at relatively the same pace.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I remember having a conversation with Raph Koster one day (old school developer on Ultima Online / SW:G) and he said that the casual gamer was the bread and butter of the MMO companies.

Not only was the casual gamer the majority slice of the user pie numbers wise, but those user's lack of game time and disposable income level meant that there was a user base that would continue to pay the company money month after month and not need new content.

Hardcore players will burn through cataclysm in a fraction of the time it will for the majority of users. And then they will quit, move on - perhaps coming back when the new chunk of content is released.

Casual gamers will get the high epic end gear eventually, and blizzard will make it that way, because it simply makes good business sense.

Give hardcore raiders the titles and shiny mounts if need be, have them a different colour for whoever kills it within 3 months and then something less spectacular for all those that eventually get there to kill it (with a little bit of Blizzard buff fixing help). The tweaks will come for healers, and it will become easier. It's just a matter of time. It's only been a week for goodness sake!
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
12/14/2010 5:51 PMPosted by Lizzie
Hardcore players will burn through cataclysm in a fraction of the time it will for the majority of users. And then they will quit, move on - perhaps coming back when the new chunk of content is released.

I agree. But right now, Healing is slow-paced and almost redundant. Simply not fun. I suppose I'll re-roll and DPS with the rest of the mouth breathers :(
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
@Behldan

Agreeable. I'm sorry I can't find the post, but I has be said that healing will, at times feel like filling a lake with a water hose (he used that analogy specifically). However if you focus on healing, rather than the idea of triage, you will run out of things to do. Healing HAS indeed slowed.

I personally, as a healer, finish my "healing" duties and move on to move observational objectives. While watching my groups damage, I might switch to dps the current focus or maybe help the group with mechanics and communication. I feel like I am in a higher position of authority as a healer than as a tank.

Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Protection, Hand of Salvation: When I heal on my pally I use these to take some of the "derp" time off.

DPS: because of mana issues, I use dps conservatively, as needed and at my best discretion.

Healing values have not scaled in order to pique the player's strategy and ingenuity.
Edited by Lucylia on 12/14/2010 6:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]