For Holy Priests Only - Tips/Tricks Thread

85 Blood Elf Priest
Math isn't really my strongsuit, so I'd be interested to hear how other holy priests are optimizing their mana and throughput.

Gear: I'm stacking intel, spirit, and crit primarily. I have some haste as well.

Talents: 8/31/2 I put 2 points in haste instead of the free Flash Heal.

Glyphs: PW:Shield, Renew, PoH; CoH, PS, Dispel Magic

Rotation: (Prior to the pull) PW:Shield, PoM, and Renew on the tank; (running into the pull) Chakra; (first spell in combat) Heal or PoM/PoH, depending on whether it's a heavy tank damage or heavy aoe fight. I try to keep a renew on the tank at all times, and I use PW:Shield whenever it's up. Not sure if the shield is mana efficient, but it gives me a decent buffer to get the Greater Heal off. I only use Heal in order to proc the Chakra Serenity. I don't use Flash Heal at all. I try not to heal anyone until they're at 50 percent. In Chakra-Serenity, I normally cast Greater Heal on the tank and Shield/Renew on the dps only if they're in danger of dying. In Chakra-Sanctuary, I cast CoH and PoH, unless one person is dropping like a stone, and then they get a direct heal.

Reading through the talent tree, I can see I should be casting Flash Heal before Greater Heal or PoH, but because Flash Heal isn't mana efficient and doesn't proc my Chakra state, I haven't been using it at all.

I'd love to hear how other people are healing and if there's a better way to spend my talent points.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
What I do.

1) Activate chakra
2) PW:S Tank followed by renew
3) Tank pulls and I cast Heal to get the chakra effect HW:Serenity
4) With that I just cast Heal.
5) If the party takes damage i throw up a CoH and a PoM the tank. Only instant cast to heal the party unless they take heavy damage. Then its PoH.

Anyways, I would take the 2 points out of Improved PW:S and put them into Surge of Light in the holy tree. It doesn't proc a lot, but when it does its just a free heal. You can never go wrong with that.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Tank Healing (Trash and boss fights without much AoE damage)
-Activate chakra: Heal
-throw renew on tank
-spam heal
-throw in greater heals when the tank starts to get low (just heal and renew will not keep up the tank)

AoE healing
Note: I am not sure exactly what should be done for AoE healing as it seems less prominent in cata, but for when the party needs a little push i do this
-PoM on cooldown
-CoH used with discretion
-and HW: Sanctuary

when people suddenly drop pretty low (DPS standing in fire) i use 2 flash heals for serenity and then a greater heal, if they are still low throw in a PoM

i would also take Sure of Light instead of PW:S I do not use shields in holy at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Stats: Intellect and spirit primarily, then a balance of crit, mastery, and haste.

Talents: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bchZfhrrRorkcdo0b (may move one point from Surge of Light to Spirit of Redemption when I get to heroics).

Prime Glyphs: Prayer of Healing, Renew, Guardian Spirit.
Major Glyphs: Psychic Scream, Fade, Dispel Magic (there aren't really any strong choices here; would likely choose a bit differently for raids).

No specific healing rotation. Using the maximum HPM spell that has sufficient HPS to keep people alive, which can vary quite a bit by damage pattern. I generally have Chakra locked in to either Serenity or Sanctuary for a fight; I have two VuhDo setups, one has Chakra macroed to Heal, one to Prayer of Mending/Healing, and have macros to switch between both setups. I use Renew infrequently outside of where it gets refreshed for free via Chakra: Serenity; generally, I have a better option than Renew available. Circle of Healing is also a relatively low priority for similar reasons.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Posted by Roreoka
What I do.
1) Activate chakra
2) PW:S Tank followed by renew
3) Tank pulls and I cast Heal to get the chakra effect HW:Serenity
4) With that I just cast Heal.
5) If the party takes damage i throw up a CoH and a PoM the tank. Only instant cast to heal the party unless they take heavy damage. Then its PoH.

This is essentially correct. Pop chakra throw a renew on tank then just spam heal, use free heals to keep the group up, renew when necessary. you'll finish the fight with the same mana you started with more often than not. In heroics its pretty much the same but you'll use flash heal, binding heal, and greater heal more often in between heal casts.

PS. Your gear needs more spirit, seem to have a lot of dps gear, not sure if that was left over from your shadow set. Hurricane on your weap?
Edited by Snotrag on 12/14/2010 7:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Posted by Shareese
Gear: I'm stacking intel, spirit, and crit primarily. I have some haste as well.

Talents: 8/31/2 I put 2 points in haste instead of the free Flash Heal.

Glyphs: PW:Shield, Renew, PoH; CoH, PS, Dispel Magic

This is pretty much everything you shouldn't be doing.

-Crit is devalued and should be avoided, reforged at every opportunity.
-You should not be casting PW:S as Holy except for B&S or an emergency. As such, you shouldn't have it talented or glyphed
-Surge of Light is a very good investment
-The two talent points in Shadow are better spent on Veiled Shadows, at least for low gear levels
-Glyph of Psychic Scream? Try Mass Dispel or Holy Nova. Mass Dispel is probably more practical.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
I don't really use shield as much any more. Too much of a mana cost for too little assistance TBH. Better served saving the mana for a sped up greater heal.
Reply Quote
84 Human Mage
I've yet to take my priest into Cata content yet, but had some questions for those of you who've had success healing as holy. Pardon any noobishness on my part as I've no end game experience with healing yet.

My priest was my last WotLK alt to reach 80 before Cata, as such I experienced very little of WotLK healing style and am wondering how much the recent changes will really impact my preferred healing style.

In the past while leveling my priest, I usually kept PoM and a Renew up on the tank, and then cast PoH, CoH, or Greater Heals depending on the situation, how much damage was being done to how many people, and how much mana I had. I'd activate Chakras based on what kind of damage I anticipated there being. If there was a lot of AOE I'd usually go with PoH Chakra, if the tank was taking more damage directly, I tended to favor Renew Chakra.

Does any of this still apply to Cata healing (or is there anything I'm doing wrong, should be doing differently in the future)? I keep hearing all these rumors about homogenized healing and was hoping to hear that my varied situational toolbox style of healing would still be viable.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/14/2010 7:25 PMPosted by Havefaith
-Glyph of Psychic Scream? Try Mass Dispel or Holy Nova. Mass Dispel is probably more practical.

All of them are extremely situational, so it's hard to favor one over the other. In a 5-player dungeon, Glyph of Psychic Scream is more likely to make a difference than the alternatives, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
The most mana efficient way for heroics I've found is to only heal when HW:Serenity is on the tank, you can get either 2 heals or 2 flash heals and a greater heal, depending on the situation. Additionally, make sure you use the new and improved light well and complain to the DPS to use it, it goes a long way for mana regen.
Reply Quote
84 Human Priest
@Krypsis: Serenity is efficient as is maximizing the healing you do while the buff is active, but dear god, flash heal is not. Serenity flash heal is for emergencies, not efficiency.

One tip: like many priest procs, the Heal Chakra's renew refresh is slightly delayed. One way to have this work in your favor is to immediately follow a single target heal with a renew.

EG, pop Chakra. Wind up Heal on your target and follow it immediately with Renew; this will be "refreshed" to a full duration of 15+ seconds and you'll probably get 6 ticks out of your hot instead of 4.
Edited by Taym on 12/14/2010 10:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
A few things in no particular order:

1.) PW:S is terribly inefficient for holy. I use this almost exclusively for the movement speed bonus from Body and Soul.

2.) In 5 mans I find the Heal Chakra to be the most effective state to be in for nearly all situations. Holy Word: Serenity is seriously good. Use it every cooldown on your tank or even on a DPS if your tank isn't taking much damage.

3.) Crit sucks for holy. Reforge it to mastery or spirit.

4.) Mastery kicks ass for holy. You notice how most people advise not topping off everyone all the time? Guess what works great on a group full of people below 100% health?

5.) People don't have to be below 50% before you decide to heal them. They just have to be low enough that you won't cause any overhealing. If you constantly wait until DPS are too low you'll find yourself needing flash heal too often when you get behind and will end up spending more mana than you would if you tried to keep everyone closer to 90% using more efficient heals.

6.) Speaking of not getting behind. Don't be afraid to use greater heal any time it won't cause overhealing.

7.) In the heal Chakra direct heals refresh renew on DPS too. If a DPS took a big chunk of damage but will be safe for awhile, toss a renew out, top off your tank then throw a heal to refresh the renew.

8.) As awesome as PoM is, it is no longer efficient unless it heals at least 3 times before it is refreshed or wears off. It's ok to leave your PoM cooldown up if only your tank is taking damage.

9.) Shadow Word: Death can keep a PoM from being wasted on you until it wears off.

10.) Almost forgot to mention: Surge of Light currently sucks and is not worth picking up. Check out the forums at www.elitistjerks.com if you want to understand why.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
A few more suggestions;

Don't be afraid to roll with the Heal Chakra even when the whole party is taking damage. Rolling Renews with Heal is a very efficient way to heal when the pace of damage is manageable.

Renew itself is quite decent. It's slightly better than Heal in efficiency even if you don't refresh it, and much higher HPCT. If you can hit 13% haste then it gains an extra tick and gains even more efficiency and HPCT.

Holy Word: Sanctuary is horrible. It's high HPS but appalling efficiency; only use it if there's a huge incoming AOE burst (the sparks in H VP are a good example). PoH is far more efficient for healing AOE damage.

Holy Word: Serenity is extremely efficient. Use it on cooldown whenever possible; especially if you need to pump out some GH.

On that note, GH is nearly as efficient as Heal. Don't be afraid to use it.

Flash Heal is horribly inefficient. However, Binding Heal is actually just as efficient as GH or Heal. Combined with Serendipity, it's actually a very valuable tool because you get the triple punch of efficiency, very high HPS, and a bonus mana reduction to your next GH or PoH.

Prayer of Mending is not that great anymore (in 5 mans anyway). It's great if it hits all 5 ticks, but there's not many fights that have aura damage ticks anymore. If it only gets 2 bounces, then it's not a good use of your mana.

Lightwell is very good now. Even if you have a party of complete braindead idiots, just using it yourself will more than pay for the mana cost after a single use. If you're using all charges every cast, it's efficiency is absolutely mind boggling compared to every other heal in the game.
Reply Quote
@ Foxfyre, tip 9 is great, never thought of that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Some really good tips in here, thanks guys. I'm not entirely sure why no one likes PW:Shield. Here's how I'm looking at it...

8900 healed/absorbed for 2934 mana (PW:Shield)
6707 healed for 1853 (Heal)
17897 healed for 5559 (Greater Heal)

It looks like PW:Shield is only slightly less mana efficient than Greater Heal if you have the 2 talents and the glyph. Plus it's an instant cast, which is nice if someone is dropping like a stone. I'm not sure if the glyphed heal counts as a direct heal and would therefore refresh the renew in Serenity state.

Does anyone else feel like we currently have too many healing spells? Chakra and Holy Word:Chastise are taking up two extra spots. Plus there's all these spells that I never used to use (Heal, Binding Heal) that I now need to use. My toolbar is overflowing.

Lightwell... I did have a group ask for one the other day, but given that dps can barely manage to move their butts out of the fire, I can't really see them using it. How many people are actually speccing into this and using it?

Stats... So it sounds like people are saying Spirit>Intel>Mastery>Haste>Crit, is that correct? There's currently a lot of crit on healing gear, should we be reforging this to spirit or mastery?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I've never used Macros as a healer. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? I seriously feel like I have too many buttons.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
You're doing it wrong.

Don't waste mana on a shield that survives half a hit in Holy spec.

If you're not utilizing the Flash/Flash/Greater technique, I feel for whoever you play with.

Holy priests are supposed to have lots of buttons, get used to using almost all of them.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
I always put up a shield, PoM, and renew before a pull, then drink. But during fights I do not shield or PoM.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
<blockquote data-quote="15363463796"><div>Posted by Shareese</div>Stats... So it sounds like people are saying Spirit>Intel>Mastery>Haste>Crit, is that correct? There's currently a lot of crit on healing gear, should we be reforging this to spirit or mastery?</blockquote>

From what i have seen thus far, the general idea for healing in cata is not get them up as fast as possible. Slower, stronger heals seems to be the way to go.

With that said, i would think int should still be our number one stat to get the strongest heals.

As for reforging, im looking at reforging my crit to have a balance between haste and mastery.

Don't reforge or gem for spirit. Just make sure its on every piece of gear.
Edited by Evilcownezz on 12/15/2010 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Don't make the mistake I did and gem for pure spirit or stack mastery to the moon at the expense of haste. Its nice, until you enter a raid and can't keep up with a freaking paladin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]