Belkin n52te SpeedPad vs. Razer Nostromo

81 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm thinking of getting one of these game pads, but Mac drivers seem spotty at best. Belkin's site has an old driver (1.0.2) for Mac OSX 10.4, and Razer has not responded to my inquiries if they would be supporting a Mac version for 10.6.5.

Is it possible to use a 3rd party driver for key assignments on either/both?

I'm currently on a MacPro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

Thanks so much.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I think Razer has stated that all of their current lineup will get OS X support.

That being said, see if there's any mention of these working with Steermouse or USB Overdrive.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I use the N52te and the Razor Naga and have no issues at all on my mac. It works well in default and is super easy to use with Bartender or Dominoes
Reply Quote
77 Night Elf Rogue
The n52te is effectively discontinued, so there probably won't be any new driver support. I'm not as familiar with the Mac/OSX side of support for these two as I'd like, but there are currently drivers for up to 10.5. Beyond that I wouldn't expect anything new.
Razer bought out the line, and is doing support for the new Nostromo. There do not appear to be Mac drivers, and it doesn't look like Razer's much for Mac support.. :( I'd keep an eye out for now. If Razer does come thru with Mac drivers for the Nostromo, I would definitely go with that one.
If you're absolutely dieing for a gamepad now.. You might want to look a the Logitech G13. I'm not fond of it, but Logitech does have good Mac support, so it might be your best short term solution.

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
If being a full 1.5 years behind in getting mac drivers out the door for half their products is having good mac support...uh...yeah.

I use USB Overdrive with their products. It's more configurable and doesn't crash like the Logitech Control Center software does...constantly. :)
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
12/20/2010 1:07 PMPosted by Grendalsh
The n52te is effectively discontinued, so there probably won't be any new driver support. I'm not as familiar with the Mac/OSX side of support for these two as I'd like, but there are currently drivers for up to 10.5. Beyond that I wouldn't expect anything new.
Razer bought out the line, and is doing support for the new Nostromo. There do not appear to be Mac drivers, and it doesn't look like Razer's much for Mac support.. :( I'd keep an eye out for now. If Razer does come thru with Mac drivers for the Nostromo, I would definitely go with that one.
If you're absolutely dieing for a gamepad now.. You might want to look a the Logitech G13. I'm not fond of it, but Logitech does have good Mac support, so it might be your best short term solution.

You do realize that the Nostromo is hardware identical to the n52TE, right? Oh, and a fun tidbit: The original n52 hardware was called (get this) Nostromo, back when Belkin first introduced it. I suspect the Razer drivers would work equally well with the current n52/TE.
Reply Quote
77 Night Elf Rogue
I am very familiar with all three, having owned and used them.
The original was the Nostromo N50, and had 10 buttons. didn't own that one.
While the shell is identical between the n52te and the new Nostromo, the internals are different. Razer did the chipset for the n52te, but pretty much underestimated what people would expect from the unit, so it underperformed in areas like macro support. The new Nostromo has an updated chipset and dpad hardware.
The n52 driver did all the interpretation in software. The n52te had onboard storage, and did all key press interpretation onboard, so the software was just to write the profiles and macros and send them to the n52te.
It's not clear if the new unit has any onboard storage or if all keypress interpretation is done in software. However, I can confirm that the drivers for each version will NOT work with any other version. Sorry. I really wanted the new updated drivers for the Nostromo to be backwards compatable with the n52te..
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
According to Razer's web page, they will be releasing Mac drivers for the Nostromo keypad in the third quarter of 2011, which would mean by the end of September.
Reply Quote
74 Worgen Rogue
They confirmed the released date for today. Yet no release happened. Very disappointed with razer
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the update Hesso.

I've double checked, and it looks like it's on there now.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Fri-Tue 1:45 pm - 10:45 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
It's the return of the Mac, you know that i'll be back, oh oh ohhhh!!
Everyone to the farm, take the farm!
This is AV, sir...
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Too bad I can't afford (and don't have the desk space) for one of those sweet, sweet high resolution display touchpads. Would be awesome to have all my buttons at my fingertips and see the game screen without having to remember which keybind goes where. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]