Massive AOE damage, no healer mana?

71 Night Elf Hunter
It seems Blizzard wanted to make healing more strategic, with "triage" and what not. But fights still dish out massive amounts of unavoidable AOE to the entire raid. How exactly is a healer supposed to triage when the entire raid is taking lots of damage? As AOE heals are largely ineffective, and big heals are so mana-costly as to be unusable on the raid, healers are left with no options to keep people alive. You can't say "DPS needs to stay out of crap" because in many instances they can't avoid the damage, so the only solution to keep them up is to have a healer heal them.

Blizzard needs to either reduce the amount of unavoidable AOE, make the damage avoidable, or make raid healing more viable.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Which fights give this COMPLETELY unavoidable AoE damage you speak of that is so very taxing?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
10man defense system w/o pre-nerf OP pally healers
Edited by Woo on 12/15/2010 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Several 10m raid bosses in fact! Check up the strats!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Posted by Donovann
It seems Blizzard wanted to make healing more strategic, with "triage" and what not. But fights still dish out massive amounts of unavoidable AOE to the entire raid. How exactly is a healer supposed to triage when the entire raid is taking lots of damage? As AOE heals are largely ineffective, and big heals are so mana-costly as to be unusable on the raid, healers are left with no options to keep people alive. You can't say "DPS needs to stay out of crap" because in many instances they can't avoid the damage, so the only solution to keep them up is to have a healer heal them.

Blizzard needs to either reduce the amount of unavoidable AOE, make the damage avoidable, or make raid healing more viable.

Raid healing is perfectly viable, just like everything else though it is a challenge. First of all, aoe heals are not ineffective, especially when multiple healers put them down and the raid does a good job utilizing them. Same with barrier, when I use it at the right moment, it can save a lot of healing that needs to be done later. With all of the aoe heals down, and then group heals like circle of healing, chain heal, prayer of healing etc. being used it shouldn't be a problem. The disc priests and the paladins can hit the really low people with shields and/or individual heals as well. Druids are good tank healers now, with paladins placing their beacons on the tanks for some extra help.

Also, you may need to bring more healers then you did in ICC. Ten mans probably need 3 healers and 25's may need 6 or 7 depending on your groups gear and which fight you are doing. Trying to run with minimal healers right now is just going to stress them out.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage
12/15/2010 11:59 AMPosted by Tiffamy
Which fights give this COMPLETELY unavoidable AoE damage you speak of that is so very taxing?

Halfus in Bastion for starters. The only raid boss I've downed so far. I'm guessing later bosses as well.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
We haven't had a paladin in our raids and the unavoidable damage hasn't seemed to be particularly unhealable. Either you're taking avoidable damage, or the raid healing strat being employed isn't efficient.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Its entirely different in 25s and 10s, its a known fact that 25man healing is very ... casual ...

10man healing is much, MUCH more challenging

check youtube
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Haven't done 25s yet, sad if it's easier :(
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
should be more inline with the regen buff priests got, now maybe i can hold 8k for a fight without going oom at 50%

i dont want to be op, but i dont want to be smashing my face into a brick wall either, neither is fun, blizz is trying to walk the balance rope very carefully
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]