@ Cata PvP: Help me see the big picture.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Disclaimer: I know it's only been 2 days. I am not great at PvP, but I'm fairly good.(Duelist every season) I currently run 1500 Resil in arena. This is gonna be a long post.

Okay Ret is bad. We all get that, don't want to get into specifics other than to point to generic balance changes. I'd rather discuss a broader topic. And that is where EXACTLY is PvP headed? Because I don't get it.

Okay, so Devs have been shoving down our throat the fact that they want fights to exist at a middle ground between Full HP and Zero HP. Sounded like an excellent goal to me, nobody likes going 100% to zero w/o the opportunity to react. But the implementation of this goal has been suspect.

Which is more frustrating? Dying instantly or being CC chained for 30 seconds and dying slowly? It's a toss up if you ask me. Here are the key points to my argument:

Unfortunately I have to use Ret as my example, first thing I leveled.

- I've had ALL of my CC reduction removed, talents, freedom has no dispel protection and doesn't remove stuns on myself or my team, I can no longer cleanse my team out of CC. Stun, Fear, Snares, even disarm now last full duration w/o outside help. I assume this is uniform over all classes and specs. Which is fine, because in theory, if fights go as Blizzard wants, an extra 2 or 3 seconds on a fear won't make a huge difference. The problem here is that in addition to this, some classes(read: all) have seen at least a small increase in their ability to CC, some more than others. Sure it takes longer to kill you, but it's also easier to prevent you from doing anything about it.

- Burst damage has been nerfed, or has it? My 2 hardest hitting abilities(Exorcism, Templar's Verdict) are now dependent on AUTO ATTACK PROC CHANCES, 10% for Exo, 10-15% depending on mastery rating for TV. It is nearly impossible to have ANY reliable on demand damage of any consequence. This is NOT uniform over all classes/specs. In fact, it seems that fewer classes/specs have had their burst damage nerfed than haven't. Boomkins come to mind as another big nerf recipient. Some classes are enjoying ludicrous amounts of increased damage(feral) and CC, while most classes seem to be the same or close to it.

- Frost Mages: They deserve their own bullet point. I love Frost Mages, this is not a QQ post. When you've played this game as long as I have, you learn to roll with the punches as far as nerfs/buffs per class go. Anyway, the point here is that no matter how I look at it, I don't see how Frost Mages IN ANY WAY fit into the new alleged PvP big picture. As a Ret Paladin, I lost nearly ALL of my anti-cc, nearly all of my team anti-cc, my mobility has decreased dramatically(hard to believe right?), my burst damage has decreased dramatically, but I have gained an interrupt, and ability to off-heal. Not necessarily a fair trade, but a TRADE nonetheless. What did Frost Mages give up? .5 second increase casting time on sheep? Just for fun, let's list the pros and cons for being a cataclysm frost mage.

Pros: Unmatched CC. Every spell you cast is a CC of some sort. Multiple Pets, multiple immunity bubbles. Multiple gap closers or gap creators. Shields.(one which gives great mana regen in a mana starved world) Great burst damage. The ability to heal. Invis. You get the point, basically, if you're a frost mage, you are a happy person.

Cons: Cloth. Envy.

Basically, we've taken the WOTLK Frost mage and given him Frost DK's hungering cold as a huge persistent AOE that works like S5 Death n Decay in that it repeatedly applies(I'm sure you arena junkies remember those days), and bloodlust. What in the world is going on?! For any of you comic book nerds out there, there is a Superman villain named Amazo which is able to absorb any abilities that has been used against him, ie he has Superman strength, Flash's speed, etc. Frost mages are the Amazo of WoW. They have hunter pets, disc priest shields, DK snares n stuns, shaman bloodlust, rogue stealth, crippling poison, paladin bubble, HoJ, warlock resistances, priest divine hymn, the list goes on and on. It's UN-REAL. I don't know how mages have enough buttons on their keyboard. Again, I'm happy for Frost Mages, I will undoubtedly have one on my 3s this season. They are by no means the ONLY imba class/spec, just the easiest example to point to. Honestly, it seems like a bit much to deal with.

- "We want dispel to be a choice." Ya right. Every buff I cast is wiped out instantly the same as it's always been. Only now, I have no protection against it, freedom is a joke. Try again.

Okay, time to wrap this up.

tl;dr You have increased CC across the board and decreased Anti-CC across the board, and yet the heavy CC specs remain doing the most damage, most of the time from range.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
pvp wont be normal in this game til everyone has at least 2500 resil. im probably going to go for 3k on all my characters the first season.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
12/15/2010 1:04 PMPosted by Plurals
pvp wont be normal in this game til everyone has at least 2500 resil. im probably going to go for 3k on all my characters the first season.

Doesn't change the fact that pretty much everything a ret was brought for in arena is gone; Losing the ability to dispel teammates being a huge one.
Edited by Mamé on 12/15/2010 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
my comment wasn't directed at ret. it was a "big picture" comment.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/15/2010 1:04 PMPosted by Plurals

Totally agree, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the strong CC classes have only been made stronger, whilst the have nots, have less.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]