Crowd Control, Interrupts, and your group.

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Priest
Bump, with a table of contents lol.
90 Dwarf Paladin
A short treatise on why CC sucks if you can avoid it:

"Ready? Ready? Ready? Is everyone ready? Will you pull or me? Ready? Ready? Should I pull with CC? Ready? Ready? I had moon right? Ready? Ready? Ready? Ok I'm going. WAIT! Ready? Ready? Ready? Ready? Ok here goes. I WASN'T READY FUUUUUUUUU"
Edited by Tarmaniel on 12/17/2010 1:25 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
Let's try to keep the thread serious. The overwhelming majority of feedback on this thread (and it's worse-formatted predecessor: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1406726958, locked by my request) has been very positive.

If you're not CCing, if you're at all trying to take things back wrath and condition bad players to think we can just ae again, please stop.
85 Human Paladin
Thank you for making this thread. This newbie tank appreciates it.

Most CCs will pull the mobs, so the tank should be ready to grab them. If you only need one CC, it's best to have someone besides the healer do it. Priests CCing should pop fade immediately after.

When using CC (let's say a Mage will be CC'ing for us), is the standard to let the CC'ers CC+pull instead of having the tank pull and then CC afterwords? I'm curious as to whether there is a technique that most groups will expect when it comes to CC and pulling and the pros/cons of each. I'd imagine that having the CC'er pull would be better so that the CC'd target will get separated from the pack.

I do understand that if a rogue is in the group that they would have to CC prior to combat starting. I'm asking about the other types of CC.
Edited by Holton on 12/17/2010 2:07 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/17/2010 2:03 PMPosted by Holton
When using CC (let's say a Mage will be CC'ing for us), is the standard to let the CC'ers CC+pull instead of having the tank pull and then CC afterwords? I'm curious as to whether there is a technique that most groups will expect when it comes to CC and pulling and the pros/cons of each. I'd imagine that having the CC'er pull would be better so that the CC'd target will get separated from the pack.

I do understand that if a rogue is in the group that they would have to CC prior to combat starting. I'm asking about the other types of CC.

To quote from the guide

Sap should always be first. In fact, it needs to be because it cannot be used in combat. Sap will not trigger combat unless the mobs can detect stealth.

Hunter Traps/Ring of Frost should be second because the have an aiming/arming time that makes them difficult to aim at moving mobs. Once mobs are too close, CC becomes pointless.

Like you said, Sap is always first, it must be. Hunter Trap is next (for ease's sake). At this point, yes, let a cc'ing class pull because most cc's have cast times, and it is best to be casting the cc as early as possible. If you taunt skull and then everyone starts coming torward you, that only brings the cc'd mob closer to/into your aoe.

This has the downside that the mobs will be agro'd to a cc'er, but the upside that it seperates the cc'd mobs from the first to kill.

Now if the mob you're having cc'd is a caster or hunter type, and thus won't be moving, you can make the pull and let the mob be cc'd.

The downside here is that they'll be agroed to the caster while incoming. You should open up with an aoe immediately. Hunters and Priests are in less danger here because they can Feign Death and Fade respectively. In your case, Open with Avenger's shield as soon as the mobs are far enough from the cc's. Drop consecrate before they arrive (before AS if you like and there is sufficient room) and the rest is cake.

Edit: This is my stance on this. Does anyone disagree, and if so, please tell me why. After enough feedback on this stance, I might put this into the guide.
Edited by Whynot on 12/17/2010 2:36 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
Thank you for the very detailed response. Just what I was looking for.
85 Blood Elf Priest
LC2 and a few others are great addons when you know what you're doing. Randoming around as a non-tank will show you just how many people don't know what they're doing. Things like Tanks screaming at rogues they needed to sap the target after the pull.

The addons are great, but realistically once you know what you have available to your group, all you need is tell the mage what icon he's cc'ing, and the rogue what icon he's cc'ing and mark those, through any means, each pull. People outside the wrath mindset don't mind waiting 10 seconds for the tank to do this.
100 Human Paladin
Greetings from a tank who has adopted a pet warlock to keep with her throughout all future dungeons, and is loving the cc'ing! Bumpage to stay at least on first page please!
100 Human Paladin
Also... regarding timing of CC, what I've found is that it's best to let the cc'er pull, yes they will have aggro when the mob gets out of cc but they might have ways to aggro-dump back to you (soul shatter for my warlock) and in many cases quite honestly they can handle a single mob (ret pally for example, or even my warlock who will just pop into demon form and tank it leisurely).
Greetings from a tank who has adopted a pet warlock to keep with her throughout all future dungeons, and is loving the cc'ing! Bumpage to stay at least on first page please!

We are Gods of CC i tell you. Shadowfury on the group giving the tank time to get aggro, then fear one target, banish another one, and seduce the third.

I highly recommend that everyone get themselves a pet warlock. We dont cost much...only your immortal SOUL.
100 Draenei Warrior
This thread requires a bump.
100 Human Paladin
Again, Avenger's Shield definitely school-locks for 3-seconds. I've done pretty extensive testing on the matter with both players and non-silenceable NPCs that spam cast from the same school.
85 Blood Elf Priest
I was pretty sure I'd made that update already Dekkar. Might have just 'lost' the submission as the forum does sometimes.

It's there now for certain.
100 Human Paladin
12/19/2010 1:28 PMPosted by Whynot
I was pretty sure I'd made that update already Dekkar. Might have just 'lost' the submission as the forum does sometimes.

It's there now for certain.

Thanks! Yeah the forums are bugging out this past week or so. I can't even search my old posts .
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sleepy-time bump.
100 Draenei Priest
Bump for good info
100 Night Elf Druid
Kitty druids have one other stun/interrupt that isn't mentioned.

G+ X+ I- S- L- Maim - 10s cd, 1-5s duration; Cat form only, requires combo points

Roughly equivalent to Rogue Kidney Shot.

(Was going to list Bear Feral Charge, but it's no longer an interrupt, dammit!)

85 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for matching the format.

Bump.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]