Crowd Control, Interrupts, and your group.

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
One note from your friendly neighborhood boomkin:

cyclone is affected by diminishing returns. I have been kicked from groups by tanks who do not understand this.

This means i can cyclone a mob for 6 seconds, then 3 seconds, then 1.5 seconds, after which it becomes immune to cyclone for 10 seconds. We cannot "keep it cycloned". Those of us who PvP or have been around a while might think this is obvious, but for new tanks with no druid alts, this is new.

please don't kick your moonkin for not cycloning when the mob may be immune from DR....
85 Undead Priest
Great post!

Wanted to add:

Shadowpriests have another interrupt if they go deep for it. I know it's mostly for pvp, but I've used it often as another interrupt on casters or as a panic button on that charging berzerker.

Psychic Horror (H*) - I+, 3s fear, 10s disarm, 2min cooldown

Since it's a horror, it roots the mob in place and it has the added bonus of disarming the target!
90 Gnome Mage
It would also be useful to have a macro to tell people what CC order is.
BTW wowwiki lists the mage sheep as Blue square, but I've most often seen it as moon for sheep.
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/21/2010 4:29 AMPosted by Diora
One note from your friendly neighborhood boomkin:

cyclone is affected by diminishing returns. I have been kicked from groups by tanks who do not understand this.

Glad you brought this up! In my old post, I was trying to fit all this information in half the posts and some extra useful tidbits like that got trimmed as I was dancing in the 5000 character limit of each post.

12/21/2010 7:42 AMPosted by Brotherkhan
Great post!

Wanted to add:

Shadowpriests have another interrupt if they go deep for it. I know it's mostly for pvp, but I've used it often as another interrupt on casters or as a panic button on that charging berzerker.

Psychic Horror (H*) - I+, 3s fear, 10s disarm, 2min cooldown

Since it's a horror, it roots the mob in place and it has the added bonus of disarming the target!

Added, as an interrupt rather than a cc. Can you tell me is it off the Global cooldown? It probably is off of it.
85 Dwarf Warrior
Other slows include:

Arms warrior can Hamstring (talented includes 6 second stun)
Fury talent of Piercing Howl 50% AOE slow

85 Gnome Mage
If you are counting talented CC's, stuns, etc. (but not snares), you forgot two very important important talented mage ones:

1) Deep Freeze: 31 pt. Frost tree talent, 4 s stun, only works on Frozen targets or if the mage has proc'd the Fingers of Frost buff

2) Dragon's Breath: 21 pt. Fire tree talent, 5 s disorient, cone AoE

Also, I find it quite odd that you include stun effects with spell casting interrupts/school locks/silences. Shouldn't those go into the incapacitating effects section?

But very good, thumbs up!
Edited by Wenry on 12/21/2010 2:22 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'll add those talents in a bit, thanks!

I include short term effects as more as interrupts rather than cc's because they're such short term. In my opinion, anything in that short of a duration is more of an interrupting effect. Get the mob to stop casting/attacking now.
90 Draenei Warrior
Yeah, in my experience playing a mage, Dragon's Breath is hardly a reliable CC, I've found it more useful as a "Oh crap, that guy's about to hit me in the face *DRAGONSBREATHANDBLINK*"
85 Blood Elf Priest
That is an awesome idea...

...major update incoming.. lol...
85 Blood Elf Hunter
one thing to add

freezing trap is 90s duration not 60(at least it is what the my description says)

scatter shot is 30s reuse not 3

as MM we have silence shot that also interrupt the target cast(even if the caster is immune to silence) 20s reuse
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'll fix scatter shot.

As for freezing trap, wowhead disagrees. Would you mind confirming it either way for me? The game is probably right and wowhead is wrong, but it helps to know!

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=1499/freezing-trap#modified-by

Also, are you spec'd into Trap Mastery? At 3/3, it would increase the duration by 30% (10/20/30%) for a total of 78 seconds.

Edit: Fixed Scatter shot, and also moved it to Interrupts since it's ability for crowd control is not nearly as potent as my typo implied. =)
Edited by Whynot on 12/21/2010 4:18 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/21/2010 2:46 PMPosted by Waniou
Yeah, in my experience playing a mage, Dragon's Breath is hardly a reliable CC, I've found it more useful as a "Oh crap, that guy's about to hit me in the face *DRAGONSBREATHANDBLINK*"

See, that's my experience with psychic scream too. I've never used it in Cata as part of a written strategy but more when the tank is doing nothing about adds on a ranged. I also used it when a cc breaks on a dangerous mob. The fear-cower glyphs are so nice.

Still I'll add it.

Edit: I need clarification on Deep Freeze. This means it works on targets frost-rooted to the ground, like frost nova, right?

Thanks.
Edited by Whynot on 12/21/2010 4:34 PM PST
85 Gnome Mage

Edit: I need clarification on Deep Freeze. This means it works on targets frost-rooted to the ground, like frost nova, right?

Thanks.

Yes. Aside from the mage's freezing effects, the only other class that can freeze targets is the hunter with their Ice Traps (I think... there's been so many changes I've lost track of a lot of other classes' abilities). We're not talking about chill SNARES, but frost ROOTING.

Also, Frost mages can cast this even when the target is NOT frozen if they have a Fingers of Frost proc. Fingers of Frost is a talent in the Frost tree that, when proc'd, allows them to treat the target as though they were frozen for the purposes of Deep Freeze and Ice Lance. The buff is then consumed.

The buff has a chance of proc'ing whenever the mage hits with a spell that has a chill effect, and it gives a stack of 2 buffs per proc.

For the Warlock's Shadowfury stun: you forgot to mention that it's a 21 pt. Destruction talent.
Edited by Wenry on 12/21/2010 6:03 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
Several updates, some more explanation, especially for the potency that is Earthbind totem. At low level's that's a lifesaver.

Dragon's breath, Deep Freeze, DK's Desecration and Warrior's Piercing Howl added. It's amazing that the list is so long and there's still more to add.

Oh yeah, need to add hamstring.

I'm wondering now, how Tremor Totem fits into Blizzard's idea of unique buffs and such. I wonder what kind of success a suggestion to see Shadow Protection provide tremor totem like buff would be.

Either that or make a warlock pet immune to fear and provide a pulse like that..
85 Gnome Mage
I forgot to mention the Frost mage's Water Elemental's Freeze, which is like a ranged Frost Nova.

Whoa... you're including snares too?! Wow, you have a LOT more abilities to add then that you haven't...
85 Night Elf Druid
As you do mention snares:

Druid
M* - 19/21 Infected Wounds - 12 sec dur ; Feral talent
Our 4 most used single-target abilities also cause a 25/50% snare
M* - 59/60 Fungal Growth ; Balance
Wild Mushrooms now also snare mobs within 8 feets by 25/50% when triggered.
Really deep Balance talent that most Druid will probably skip.

Hunter
M* - 8 Concussion Shot - 4 sec dur/5 sec cd
single-target 50% daze (snare)
M* - 29/31 Concussive Barrage - 4 sec dur ; Marksmanship
Multi-Shot & Chimera Shot also daze targets

And there are probably more .. but I'm not sure whether snares really are worth being included in that list, they do not serve the same purpose as other CC.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah I've never been happy with snares as effective CC, beyond aoe snares. I think I'll pull hamstring back out of there. I'll probably include a paragraph as to why as well.

And of course, some snares take away from a dps doing.. well.. dps.

Chains of ice is different for a number of reasons, the lack of DR, the long duration, a dk can keep it up 100% of the time, and the range at which they can cast it.

There's also so much hate on DKs and dps warriors atm for not being able to CC, I like the thread to throw them a lifeline, though both are quite effective at interrupts.

For now, I have to go to bed, early day tomorrow.

But thank you everyone for the excellent contributions, and as always, for matching format. Copypasta is my favorite dish.
Edited by Whynot on 12/21/2010 11:24 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you soooooo much for this. This is totally needed for GB and all the new Cata instances when the tank just rushes in and tries to tank the mobs in packs of 5 that does a crapton of damage with no CC what so ever. Or they rush in, with a CC and break it and still have me heal my butt off cause they weren't being considerate.

So thank you so much. Hopefully a lot of people will read this, not just tanks and actually learn how to CC in these new instances. It's not Wrath anymore guys! We HAVE to use CC to do these things. Cause when you start raiding, you'll need to be doing it! So get in the habit now! :D
85 Blood Elf Hunter
about freezing trap not be 60s, the descrition says 90(i have trap mastery 3/3)

it is always the longest cc to fade...

CCs have an order to aply...

SAP first(must be out of combat)
trap second(since it have a delay to land, generaly it is what is going to pull the agro)
sleeps,poly, roots etc... third(since they can be aplyed in combat and in a target specific)

u can make a taget became perma polymorphed

hunter survival has the only 2 kind of cc that can be done on every type of mob ...

and hunter still has a scare beast that can fear a beast for like 15 seconds( i actully dont have it on my bar)

opnion ... we should do a similar post about dispel debufs and buffs on raids...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]