Crowd Control, Interrupts, and your group.

(Locked)

85 Human Paladin
This shouldn't fall so far down. Especially with as many cc oriented threads as I see being created.
85 Human Priest
Most CCs will pull the mobs, so the tank should be ready to grab them. If you only need one CC, it's best to have someone besides the healer do it. Priests CCing should pop fade immediately after.

I have noticed that it's best to fade after the tank has taunted and generated some threat when releasing MC. If fade is popped before the taunt, the tank is essentially taunting off 0 threat, and when the taunt duration ends, the mob comes straight back to me.

Edit: I usually use the mob I MC for the duration of the fight, recasting when it falls off, especially if the damage far outstrips my own or the heals needs a bit of help during a pull. For those who wonder why the mob has to be picked up, heh.
Edited by Caylor on 12/23/2010 10:30 AM PST
85 Gnome Mage
Whoops never mind >_>;
Edited by Wenry on 12/23/2010 10:48 AM PST
85 Human Paladin
12/23/2010 10:47 AMPosted by Hitauragone

All interrupts are also at least followed up by school locks now. The ones on longer cooldowns/openers (heroic throw, silence, garrotte) are either silences or talented silences.

Er, there's two sets of phrases. The ones Blizzard uses, and the ones most of the actual playerbase uses.

To the playerbase, an Interrupt is anything that will stop the spell being cast, even if it doesn't have anything specific to do with spells- stuns, fears, disorients can all qualify as interrupts.
A school-lock is an ability specifically intended to stop spell casts and only spell casts(silences somewhat bridge the two, as they arn't actual school-locks on their own, but are solely intended to stop spellcasts). Untalented CS, kick, skull bash are school-locks.

To Blizzard, a school-lock is an interrupt.

If you're using the term interrupt as Blizzard does, then they're the same thing. If you're using it as the player base does, then they are not, and an interrupt does not neccesairly include a school-lock.

I'm curious what you actually mean by "All interrupts are also at least followed up by school locks now." I think you're using interrupt as Blizzard does, in which case, well, they've *always* been school locks, so what do you mean by "now"?
90 Undead Warrior
Reported for sticky.

If you don't know how, click the thumbs down, then select "repor". A box should open up below the post (you may need to scroll down). Under reason, select "other", and put in the chat box "report for sticky".

I know, dumb system, obviously designed by monkeys randomly pounding on a keyboard, but use it.
Edited by Malor on 12/23/2010 11:53 AM PST
90 Worgen Druid
Amg, grats. :D
85 Human Death Knight
Whoa, sticky!
100 Draenei Warrior
Hooray stickied! Grats, it was very much deserved :D
WOOT GRATS!!

/Jealous
85 Draenei Death Knight
Yay sticky!
90 Orc Rogue
Would it be possible to get the OPs original posts on this thread copied and stickied in the Damage Dealers and Healers forums? This is great info that everyone should read.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you everyone for all the positive feedback, all the likes and all the great information.

Omfg, an awesome christmas present from Blizzard.

On the subject of interrupts... Gosh it's so difficult to know how some things behave against mobs--because many tooltips aren't quite clear. Hammer of Justice, *I think*, is an interrupt without a spell lock on raid bosses. It stops them from casting interruptible casts (it didn't used to) even if, like all raid bosses, they're stun-immune.
Edited by Whynot on 12/23/2010 10:07 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Sintram on 1/10/2011 11:28 PM PST
80 Troll Shaman
I'm the OP, posting on an alt..

The "OP" is 6 or 8 posts long, the first two should be explanations for CC and general rules considering it, the second 2, and fourth 2 are the actually lists of CC and Interrupts respectively.
85 Human Paladin
12/23/2010 10:04 PMPosted by Whynot
Thank you everyone for all the positive feedback, all the likes and all the great information.

Omfg, an awesome christmas present from Blizzard.

On the subject of interrupts... Gosh it's so difficult to know how some things behave against mobs--because many tooltips aren't quite clear. Hammer of Justice, *I think*, is an interrupt without a spell lock on raid bosses. It stops them from casting interruptible casts (it didn't used to) even if, like all raid bosses, they're stun-immune.

It's a school lock. It's just so short you might not have realized it. All interrupts(as worded by Blizzard) are school-locks.
Also, it's only an interrupt for prot pallies with the Vindication talent.
Take a look at
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=32747#comments
and then
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=2139
Specifically the "Effect " section of the spell details.
85 Blood Elf Priest
You make a pretty good case for it lol. Post updated.

Gonna google around and look for a direct Blizzard quote for inclusion into the OPs.

Thanks for the HoJ bit too, forgot HoJ was tied to vindication.
85 Undead Warlock
There are some minor mistakes about warlocks worth noting:

Fc* -14 Fear - 20s dur
Notable because this is the only player caused fear with no CD

That note there is a very tricky thing to say, because while technically true, practically it's not really applicable in dungeons. When you glyph fear to make it a cower, it also makes it so that fear has a 5 second cooldown. So yes, fear has no natural cooldown, but it's extremely unlikely to be used without the glyph and risk the mob aggroing other groups.

F* -34 Howl of Terror - 8s dur/30s cd
Nearly identical to psychic scream

First off, howl of terror has a 40s cooldown, though it can be glyphed down to 32.
Second, (also the biggest difference from psychic scream), it has a 1.5 second cast time. It can be talented to be instant in the affliction tree, but that's rare in PvE specs.

G+ X+ I- S- L- 15 Pursuit (Felguard) - 4s dur/15s cd

This is flat out incorrect. Pursuit use to do this pre-Cata, but now pursuit doesn't do anything to the target (besides damage), and instead increases the felgaurd's speed by 30%. As such, it's not an interrupt at all.

And lastly, it's worth noting that the demonology move Hand of Guldan (if talented) apply a 3 second root in a 4 yard radius, and 3 seconds after that (6 seconds since cast time) an aoe stun for 3 seconds.

This isn't much of a CC, but it means that if the lock is casting it on cd at the tank's target (which he should, as it's a demo lock's main damage dealer), then all mobs stacked on the tank will get a 3 second stun every 12 seconds. Sometimes it interrupts, sometimes it doesn't, but it always makes for a consistent release on the pressure that's on the tank and healer.

Sorry to give you so much of a hassle, you've really done an amazing job with this guide, and I hate to see these minor things mar the near-perfectness of it all.

P.s. Wtf? "Perfectness" is a word according to spellcheck??
85 Troll Druid
Thank you for this ^.^ It seems a lot of people aren't really that familiar with the classes and their forms of cc. Now that cc is much more important, it's also much more important for people to learn a little about other classes and the tools that they have.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]