Crowd Control, Interrupts, and your group.

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
I'm going to be a freak here. I enjoy tanking randoms. Sure, you do get players who are terribly bad, but you also meet players who are very, very good. You just need to give them a chance.

In regards to bear aoe pickups, it's purely a matter of preparation. If CC is pulling, you must give the bear time to enrage to get some startingrage before pulling, or he'll be unable to swipe/thrash to gather up the mobs. I've found, in randoms, these are the only situations were I have trouble - early pulls where I have no rage, dps hitting different targets/aoeing, and stuns lessening my early fight rage generation (those aren't a problem *unless* I'm already rage starved). Swipe takes a good chunk of rage, thrash even more.

So, have a bear tank? Watch him/her, CC pull when he's got rage. For gods sake, not when he's in caster form!
85 Night Elf Rogue
Good stuff
85 Night Elf Druid
Worth merging a note that Entangling Roots does not stun, only keep them from walking, so it is often more useful to keep a mob who likes to roam around, stuck near the melee DPS.

Roots on a mob who's a caster or weapon thrower is merely a DoT.

I have been able to cast Roots on mobs who are immune to stuns, and it works. I have been able to cast Roots on mobs who are immune to immobilizing, and the graphic is quite funny as the round pile of roots glides around with him.

Roots break easily, but not always instantly, if the mob gets damaged by other means.
85 Blood Elf Priest
You're right. The roots note was there a while ago but was a casualty of the old post not having enough space for a lot of information.

I forgot to re-include it, thanks for bringing it up.
85 Draenei Priest
This should be crossposted to (and stickied in) the healer and dps forums as well.
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/28/2010 2:15 PMPosted by Alizarin
This should be crossposted to (and stickied in) the healer and dps forums as well.

Thank you!

I did cross-post posts just letting people know this was here in both forums, neither received a response.

The predecessor thread which has a link to this one was on the most popular list for about a week and it got that thread 4k+ views and this one about 1500.
85 Worgen Death Knight
Excellent information, thankyou for the time and effort.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Fun Warlock tip: if the tank decides to tank on top of your CC, and more than likely will break the cc cause of aoe tanking moves, just deathcoil (3 sec lasting time) the mob out and pop your fear on it. the 3 secs of running is short enough to pretty much never let it aggro another mob and 3 secs is just long enough for it to get far away from the tank to not be effected by its aoe's. Use this all the time :D
85 Blood Elf Priest
Awesome tip. Added to the guide.

Can you tell me something, since you're glyphed into fear, does glyphed fear overwrite Death Coil? If a mob has both cast on it, does the mob flee or stand still?

Moved Death coil from interrupts (which obviously it's not a true interrupt, short duration just makes it nice to force trash/some adds to stop casting) up to CC because of this use.

Awesome tip.

Heck, I Liked your reply. Maybe in time others will too.
85 Dwarf Death Knight
No one cc's anymore :>
85 Human Paladin
12/15/2010 5:44 PMPosted by Whynot
You pull with CC, and then move behind the tank, even a distance behind the tanks to force other ranged to come closer. Paladins should AS the mobs once they're far from the cc'd mobs.

Avenger's Shield is an offensive smart spell and will avoid bouncing to, and breaking, crowd controlled targets. The only targets i have seen it bounce to incorrectly are feared targets. This is useful to remember when you have a caster close to other cc'd mobs.

Also keep in mind AS determines which targets it will bounce to when cast, not when it strikes the first target. For example, if you cast it and a target is polymorphed after the initial cast, it may still strike the polymorphed target.
85 Dwarf Paladin
I love this post. It makes a huge difference when everyone in the party knows their own abilities perfectly and has some idea of what everyone else can do too.

I wanted to say what Nasacal just did about Avenger's Shield ... he said it much more clearly than I could though. =)

It might be worth noting that the Hunter's Wyvern Sting can be chain applied if you're tricky. The dot that applies after Wyvern Sting wears off can be replaced with Scorpid Sting (which does no damage) and then you can reapply Wyvern Sting. There is a macro that helps.

*EDIT*
I like to Repentance a caster or the closest mob due to the short 20 yard range and issues with getting charged. I tend to do this about 1 second after polymorph/hex starts casting.

*EDIT*
Warriors and DK's can cc by offtanking. I think it is not popular because it requires some serious mental agility to switch mindsets. It can also strain the healer depending on class. But if you are recovering from a wipe caused by insufficient cc or a boss' adds using 2 tanks can be a great idea. And you do not need great gear to offtank a heroic 5 man.
As an example, we were a bit undergeared and struggled on Heroic Stonecore's High Priestess Azil and SFK's Lord Godfrey this weekend. I attended as Ret for most of the run but popped into tanking mode after a wipe or two. My gathering up all the adds made it much, much easier and we beat the fights with no further issues.
Edited by Michaelberea on 1/3/2011 2:06 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
Updated.

I took out the quoted paragraph regarding AS. You were right, and your point is covered under AS as an interrupt.

I did add the bit about Repentance being 20 yard range.

As to OT'ing as a form of CC, that's pretty much dead. It works in h Blackrock, and your stonecore example (though those are non-elite, I believe) but it's also silly to expect random pug dps to have an OT set. The days of dps specs tanking serious mobs are probably dead for a while, their health/armor isn't high enough to take the beating and the healers aren't geared enough to handle two tanks.

If a person doesn't understand when taking threat is a valid strategy, I don't want to try to summarize it in a paragraph. The people that do understand when it is a valid option don't need the guide to tell them why.

Thanks for excellent feedback.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Nice Guide!
It's clean and organized
85 Gnome Priest
Epic thread alert!

Grats on sticky, this is all of the info that I have been waiting for and you took the time to put everything down in one place.

/hatsofftoyou

Off the scale/10
85 Human Paladin
Nice guide, but I disagree on tanks responsibility as leading CC. Each member of the group should know what to CC in a pack, and what they CAN CC in a pack.

Not saying it is a bad idea for a tank to know how to set things up, but we are not automatically the group leader because we are the tank...

Don't leave it ALL up to the tanks, DPS shouldn't be brainless dimwits that need everything pointed out to them. :)
90 Tauren Death Knight
I'd recommend any tank to try the addon Puglax. It does wonders by automating a lot of the great info in this thread. Checks what sort of CC you have in your group, what mobs they work on, and gives you an easy way to tell your party about it and assign them to raid marks.
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/05/2011 6:32 AMPosted by Meguas
Nice guide, but I disagree on tanks responsibility as leading CC. Each member of the group should know what to CC in a pack, and what they CAN CC in a pack.

Each member of a grou0p should know what to CC in a pack
Tanks are regarded as the default leader of the group because they're the frontline of defense but you're right and that's the purpose of this guide is to inform everyone of what they can do. Everyone should read this. As I say, I write this from the perspective of tanking but every knowledgeable player helps.

Not saying it is a bad idea for a tank to know how to set things up, but we are not automatically the group leader because we are the tank...

Healers can lead groups and dps can as well but tanks are expected to lead if noone else is willing.

Don't leave it ALL up to the tanks, DPS shouldn't be brainless dimwits that need everything pointed out to them. :)

Truth.

01/05/2011 9:34 AMPosted by Rezplease
I'd recommend any tank to try the addon Puglax. It does wonders by automating a lot of the great info in this thread. Checks what sort of CC you have in your group, what mobs they work on, and gives you an easy way to tell your party about it and assign them to raid marks.

I love puglax.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]