Weren't we supposed to do MORE damage at 85?

85 Blood Elf Mage
TCS
At level 80, I used to pull anywhere between 12-14k DPS on non-ICC-buff encounters as Fire.

After reaching 85, I'd be lucky to pull even 9k.

The entire Fire spec is designed around critting (more than ANY other spec in the game) so much, 20% crit rates have flat-out broken the spec. There are hardly any ignites rolling, Living Bomb is our only DoT (our Mastery increases DoT damage rofl), Combustion is frustrating, there are no mana returns, the list goes on and on.

Now, I know that Fire will gain huge strength as the expansion goes by and crit rates increase. But is that really intended? Warriors were extremely gear dependant and you addressed with rage normalization. How did you address Fire's ridiculous thirst for crit? Mages who are leveling as fire also feel the same way, the crits just don't happen often enough.

I would be completely fine with this if we had another spec to jump to. Sadly, Fire is still ahead of Arcane and Frost.

Since we're trying to be constructive here, I suggest a solution following a simple guideline: The longer you go without critting, the more likely crits will become. A bit like the old combustion, but it's always in effect.

E.g. Each time you cast Fireball and it doesn't crit, the critical strike chance of the next Fireball increases by X%. Stacks up to X times. When you finally do crit with Fireball, you lose 1 stack. Values can be played with, but you get the idea.

This can be a talent of glyph, or could simply be tied into something that Fireball always does. This talent/glyph/whatever will degrade in value as the Mage's gear gets better, which is exactly the point - To normalize the crit rates between endgame gear and starting gear.
Edited by Stupefy on 12/14/2010 6:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Because as you level, your gear is the same, but hit/crit/etc ratings need more per point.

t10 at lvl 80 is better than lvl blues at 85.
Edited by Sessa on 12/14/2010 6:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
TCS
12/14/2010 6:44 PMPosted by Sessa
Because as you level, your gear is the same, but hit/crit/etc ratings need more per point.

I didn't know that! Thanks Mr. Obvious.
t10 at lvl 80 is better than lvl blues at 85.

Then how are other specs seeing an improvement in DPS compared to what they did at 80? T10 at lvl 80 is NOT better than blues at 85. I have over 2000 more spellpower, my spells hit far, far harder. But the clunky mechanics of the Fire spec are rendering that "damage boost" essentially useless, instead going backwards in actual damage done.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Then how are other specs seeing an improvement in DPS compared to what they did at 80? T10 at lvl 80 is NOT better than blues at 85. I have over 2000 more spellpower, my spells hit far, far harder. But the clunky mechanics of the Fire spec are rendering that "damage boost" essentially useless, instead going backwards in actual damage done.

Which specs exacltly? None of them is the answer.
Edited by Rawkstar on 12/14/2010 6:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Blue heroic gear plus crafted epics can get your raid-buffed crit rates up to 35-40%. This set has not been optimized, but it does have 16.9% hit, so it's not too far off:
http://manoutoftime.org/misc/sc403/mage/Blue_346/basic.html#Mage_Fire_Blue_346

From there, I expect your crit rates should fluctuate up and down by maybe 5% (up as you gear up, then down when you hit the next tier and get some crit suppression happening). So crit-based performance variance shouldn't be too huge once you're there.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
pst, all specs are doing less damage at 85 than at 80

seems backwards and doesnt make much sense, but it is true.

my demo warlock could pull 13-14k without the icc buff, now hitting 10k is a struggle and a half.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
It could be a couple of things, you will need alot more crit hit and expertise to reach the cap and it scales so you lose quite a bit each time you level up but i think it is also because they want the opposite effect to Wrath where damage skyrocketed and healthpools only slightly increased. The opposite is happening in cata my Health pool increased by 20k when i dinged 85 in grim batol.

you should see an increase once you have obtained raid gear or maxed out 346 with some crafty reforging.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're comparing results from the last tier of gear of an expansion where the devs admitted that everything went up too high, against the first tier of gear of an expansion intended to rein it all back in.

You're not going to like the answer, but "Gear progression will fix it"
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/14/2010 7:08 PMPosted by Scythias
It could be a couple of things, you will need alot more crit hit and expertise to reach the cap

This guy is right. You have no expertise at all.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/14/2010 7:29 PMPosted by Pizzashark
Stat deflation will do that to ya. I know yall carebears didn't care about the stat inflation while you killed your scripted dragons, but it was doing terrible things to the ability to balance PvP. Of course, PvP isn't balanced now... but at least it'll have the ABILITY to be balanced now that stat inflation is under control.

You're joking, right? You have worse arena ratings than I do and I play with my girlfriend.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
That says a lot about your girlfriend.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/14/2010 7:52 PMPosted by Medieve

That she's a better player than Pizzashark?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
12/14/2010 7:52 PMPosted by Medieve

I'd say, she sounds pretty cool.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
My PvP arms has 5.51% crit chance YEAH.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
with this crappy ungemmed, unenchanted gear I'm breaking 10-11k dps on heroics regularly as destruction when rng and my awareness of Improved soulfire helps
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]