Enhance Shaman - Threat Reduction

90 Draenei Shaman
Hi Guys,

Need a little bit of advice, besides holding off on my priority queue and letting threat drop, is there any other way I can reduce threat without compromising DPS?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I thought that windshear doesn't offer threat reduction any more, just interrupts?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
It still lowers threat, it even says so on the TT.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Thanks, need to read me tool tips again lol
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Get a better tank and ask friendly hunters and rogues to misdirect/tricks up front as well as periodically during the fight? In our heroics our tanks haven't had any issues with holding threat, but I always misdirect them before each fight. On the contrary, our tanks have been holding threat to the tune of me not even inching up on the threat meter even while pulling 13k+ dps in the heroics.

If you don't have a hunter or rogue in the group then it's a compromise between you and the tank. That's all there is to it. If your tank is generating enough threat to keep you off the top of the threat list on a single target fight then the tank isn't doing so well. With adds, well, that's always a dicey situation, particularly with tanking cooldowns, but that's always been somewhat of a problem. It's just much more pronounced now that we're doing content that's difficult.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Misdirect and tricks don't really do #!!* anymore. Its a temporary threat boost that is good as a buffer at the start of the fight, but thats all it is. Once the buff is gone the threat decays away, leaving the tank with however much threat he has built.

I have been fairly lucky, well, kinda...you could say you make your own luck and I tend to bring my own tanks with me for heroics, but regardless, my tanks are pretty good at taunting back if I rip a mob off them.

That said, Wind Shear reduces your threat not by a ton, but every little shock helps...nearly every mob in the game now casts something. Try and interrupt every cast you can, healers will thank you for it cause the mob will do less damage, tanks will thank you cause it makes controlling the mob easier and you won't have as much threat. The ability isn't on the GCD, so it won't even hurt your damage all that much. Hell even if you are fighting something that doesn't cast, shocking it every cooldown won't hurt you all that much still.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Posted by Rheavon
Misdirect and tricks don't really do #!!* anymore. Its a temporary threat boost that is good as a buffer at the start of the fight, but thats all it is. Once the buff is gone the threat decays away, leaving the tank with however much threat he has built.

I have been fairly lucky, well, kinda...you could say you make your own luck and I tend to bring my own tanks with me for heroics, but regardless, my tanks are pretty good at taunting back if I rip a mob off them.

That said, Wind Shear reduces your threat not by a ton, but every little shock helps...nearly every mob in the game now casts something. Try and interrupt every cast you can, healers will thank you for it cause the mob will do less damage, tanks will thank you cause it makes controlling the mob easier and you won't have as much threat. The ability isn't on the GCD, so it won't even hurt your damage all that much. Hell even if you are fighting something that doesn't cast, shocking it every cooldown won't hurt you all that much still.

That's the point.

Wind Shear's threat reduction isn't enough to be noticeable and it compromises your ability to interrupt when it is needed. Spamming wind shear is not helpful.

@Op. Just stop dps if threat is becoming a problem. Better that than ripping aggro or having wind shock on cooldown when you need it to interrupt.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
walk out of melee range and heal something.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]