Cataclysm Raid Cherry

90 Human Paladin
Cataclysm has been out a little over a week and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Cataclysm raiding thus far.

Props to Good Game for clearing 7/12.
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Mage
So far it's a lot of fun. It's nice to actually have challenging content for once. I don't envy the healers though.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Everything so far is Wrathy. We have next to no gear and are clearing content at a decent pace. I'm hoping the end instance bosses offer a little more than 30 minutes of learning.

Reply Quote
89 Worgen Warrior
Only thing we tried so far was the Tol Barad duder on a whim (I had hit 85 hours before and was clearly the dead weight of the group). We got the fight mechanic down after like one wipe and we basically were gear checked at 20% or so. But it was a helluva lot more fun then anything I did in wrath.
Reply Quote
12/17/2010 2:10 AMPosted by Thorrgrim
Only thing we tried so far was the Tol Barad duder on a whim (I had hit 85 hours before and was clearly the dead weight of the group). We got the fight mechanic down after like one wipe and we basically were gear checked at 20% or so. But it was a helluva lot more fun then anything I did in wrath.

Sheer optimism will pull through. Unless you mean you enjoy stand and spam Brutallus-like encounters which are undertuned. In which case it makes sense you did nothing as fun as that in Wrath.

Cataclysm so far is probably pretty similar in difficulty to ICC the opening week. The main difference is the ongoing joke that 10 man is in some way as difficult as 25 man. Every beginning-level instance fight is relatively a joke and much like some of the easier content in Wrath as Rated said. Some of the end bosses though are much easier as far as tuning goes than the fights you had to accomplish to get to them.

Overall it's set to be challenging and a good waste of time as we go into hard modes. This is assuming they don't add some % buff that ramps up over time trivializing the content immensely to the extent mechanics are overlooked.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Actually, as expected, 10 man seems Wrathy and easy. 25 man seems far harder. Just compare the Ascendant Council on 10 and 25. It's a complete joke on 10 man and a nightmare on 25. Yah, they really did a good job balancing everything /rolleyes
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If GG can do it that says a lot about the raid design
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
12/16/2010 4:22 PMPosted by Rated
Everything so far is Wrathy. We have next to no gear and are clearing content at a decent pace. I'm hoping the end instance bosses offer a little more than 30 minutes of learning.

I don't think that 'wrathy' is the right term to use for it... I clearly remember full-clearing naxx in my first week of raiding it on 25 and most fight mechanics couldn't kill you and therefore could be ignored by half the raid.

The fights so far aren't exactly all really difficult *cough*MALORIAK*cough*, but at least the new encounters can wipe the unprepared a few times over and it will take less serious guilds multiple weeks to clear out. The raiding so far has been much more challenging than any wrath normals, and I'm really looking forward to heroics.

Again, wrathy isn't the right word...wotlk raiding was full of either recycled loot pinatas or a single wooden circle for months and the only bosses with interesting mechanics were too easy to be memorable. Its not completely perfect, but its certainly much, much better than wrath was.

Also gratz to the gg guys for always being 1 step ahead of us after our 2 realm 1sts on Halfus and Valiona/Theralion.
Edited by Virral on 12/17/2010 11:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/17/2010 7:24 AMPosted by Arij
Actually, as expected, 10 man seems Wrathy and easy. 25 man seems far harder. Just compare the Ascendant Council on 10 and 25. It's a complete joke on 10 man and a nightmare on 25. Yah, they really did a good job balancing everything /rolleyes

Complete joke on 10 man yet a nightmare on 25? Yet you haven't completed either....?

Sorry but try beating the content before you talk down about it. There's definitely more thought that goes into positioning on 25, but to say it's a joke on 10 man is funny.

Don't think it needed to be pointed out that there's no possible way 10 and 25 will ever be evenly tuned. Chimaeron is likely harder on 10 than 25 (bit of an educated guess)... but that's probably the case with every healing centered fight of all time. Crying about how they said it would be evenly tuned when everyone knew it wouldn't be is boring.

The only problem with the current tuning is the lack of a distinguishing factor as far as which difficulty it was completed on. Don't act as if certain fights aren't harder on 10 than 25 man.

Edit for example: Fights like 4 tower FL were much much harder in 10 than 25 man and fights in general that pick one player to perform a certain task are harder in 10. Having a demolisher focused on FL 10 meant losing near half your dps... 25... not so much.
Edited by Dntsoproyo on 12/18/2010 2:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Wrath handed you a full kit of epics out of the gate. As far as I am concerned that is the only difference. for everyone who doesn't agree... just pretending the burning crusade epicness is back doesn't make it true.

I have hope and will keep playing because I am a nerd, but that is the only reason
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I've done the content on both 10 and 25. We got it to 4% on 10 man and then said okay, we know the fight. We're doing it on 25 man. We have had 5 sub 1% wipes on 25 man because of how retarded the fight is with 25 people and a melee heavy comp. Try not being so derogatory and high headed.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
12/17/2010 7:24 AMPosted by Arij

One fight that is harder on 25 does not make the entirety of the 10 man progression path easy and is a complete generalization. As much as they are trying to make the fights balanced on both, there will be some fights easier or harder on one than the other, its impossible to achieve that perfect balance on every encounter. It just cant be done.

However, they have made it so the difficulty is matched if you take the ENTIRETY of a raid instance as a whole so that the differentiations even out.

Its annoying how many 25 man guilds are so angry over the fact that 10 man guilds who may have the skill but not the numbers can finally have some credibility in raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
u guys and your stuff.. u break me down
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Warrior
12/18/2010 2:56 PMPosted by Virral

Its annoying how many 25 man guilds are so angry over the fact that 10 man guilds who may have the skill but not the numbers can finally have some credibility in raiding.

I saw this coming when I read about the single lockout at the end of wrath. Ever since We Ankh absorbed the old Halite raid group we never had the numbers to run our own 25s. Doesnt really bother any of us, for the most part we all hated 25s anyway. Seemed like you always had about 10 people that knew what they were doing with a extra 15 window-licking morons there to make things more complicated. So we focus on running a good 10 man group
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Looks like its time for progression threads to be remade on server forums: One for 25 and one for 10.

What fun.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
12/19/2010 10:46 AMPosted by Galvinias
Looks like its time for progression threads to be remade on server forums: One for 25 and one for 10.

What fun.

...lolwhat? Way to miss the entire point of shared lockout and drops, and the entire point of the argument in this thread for that matter.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
12/19/2010 11:00 AMPosted by Virral

What fun.

...lolwhat? Way to miss the entire point of shared lockout and drops, and the entire point of the argument in this thread for that matter.

Way to miss the point of what I'm saying.

Blizzard wants both to viable paths of progression. The reason for the shared loot and ilvl of the gear was to make it so one does not appear to be "better" than the other. 25s for those who prefer larger raid comps, and 10s for those that prefer smaller ones.

Thus, my point still stands. For the guilds who are working on 25s its nice to see what other guilds are doing in the 25 man arena, an for those who want to go the ten man route its nice to see how those who choose that route are doing.

Judgement, for instance, is doing 25s once the holidays end. And I would be interested in seeing how guilds are doing in 25s on this realm.
Reply Quote
wowprogress.......... The less people publicly share about their progression the better. Don't need ICC 2.0 where there's 52 guilds and pugs near tied for 1st and they all feel like they're actually good at this game.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue

Way to miss the point of what I'm saying.

Blizzard wants both to viable paths of progression. The reason for the shared loot and ilvl of the gear was to make it so one does not appear to be "better" than the other. 25s for those who prefer larger raid comps, and 10s for those that prefer smaller ones.

Thus, my point still stands. For the guilds who are working on 25s its nice to see what other guilds are doing in the 25 man arena, an for those who want to go the ten man route its nice to see how those who choose that route are doing.

Judgement, for instance, is doing 25s once the holidays end. And I would be interested in seeing how guilds are doing in 25s on this realm.

All that would do is cause guilds of differing playstyles to b*tch at each other about who 'deserves' their standing because they raid a certain way that they think is 'harder' rather than accept that all raiding is the same. Want proof? Look at the forums here and on mmo champion when the shared lockout/drops were announced. SO MUCH CRYING.
Edited by Virral on 12/19/2010 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior

All that would do is cause guilds of differing playstyles to b*tch at each other about who 'deserves' their standing because they raid a certain way that they think is 'harder' rather than accept that all raiding is the same. Want proof? Look at the forums here and on mmo champion when the shared lockout/drops were announced. SO MUCH CRYING.

I'm pretty sure the guilds of worth would be mature enough to realize what's going on though.

Essentially, my plan would count on people to be mature :) Scary as that sounds.

[Ninja edit] It also works to the effect that with shared lockouts there IS two viable progression paths for those who choose to focus in a certain area over another.
Edited by Galvinias on 12/19/2010 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]