Warlocks + Blade's edge arena = OMG

85 Dwarf Paladin
So, I did arenas with a healadin guildie yesterday, some 2v2s. Nothing very serious, we were just doing it for the points. However, I had an experience which, to say the least, was nerve grating.

We fought an arms warrior/affliction warlock combo. Now, I'm like "Well, the warlock is a clothie, so he should go down faster, so I'll target him first."

After about a minute and a half, I realize I'm not catching the warlock, the Arms warrior is doing tons of damage to my healer, and the warrior would probably not heal through my damage so easily. So I target the warrior and he's dead after about 6 seconds. So now, it's 2v1, and my partner is a healer. We're good, right?

No such luck. We eventually beat the warlock. AFTER FIVE MINUTES. Let me explain what would happen:

Warlock puts demonic circle on bridge.
I go up to meet him.
He jumps down.

I can't attack him from there. He can attack me. So I'm forced to jump down. I hit him once, then he teleports back up. I run all the way around back to him to attack him, he death coils me away, then fears me. I trinket the fear, run back, stun him, he trinkets it and howls of terror both my healadin partner and me. Fear comes off, I run back to him, he jumps down. I jump down, my healadin friend stays up. Warlock teleports back up, healadin stuns him while I run back up. By the time I run back up, stun has run out and the warlock is simply running the other way. I catch him, howl of terror. I catch him again, HE TELEPORTS AGAIN AND POPS RITUAL OF SOULS BEFORE I CAN CATCH BACK UP TO HIM.

AD.

INFINITUM.

We eventually killed him. He jumped down when he had about 60% health left, his trinket was on cooldown. I popped avenging wrath and jumped down, stunned him, my healadin buddy jumped down too. I DPS'd the hell out of him and my healadin buddy was casting exorcism. When my stun ran out, my healadin partner immediately stunned him again. Then, it ran out, he teleported back up but my censure managed to finish him off.

This is in no way normal or acceptable. Why are warlocks able to do this? If he had had a healing partner, we might as well have forfeit the match right there and then.
Edited by Stoutfist on 12/15/2010 6:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
GTL
Locks have been doing this since Demonic Teleports inception. How would you suggest they actually fix it? I don't see how they could.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
The problem comes mainly from Soul Harvest healing them. The reason it lasted so long wasn't because I wasn't doing damage to him, it's because he could heal it back quite easily with soul harvest after demonic teleporting out of LoS. Maybe the heal on Soul Harvest is superfluous? Maybe Demonic Teleport needs a longer cooldown? I don't know for sure, but it certainly needs a fix.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Druid
12/15/2010 7:06 AMPosted by Stoutfist
Maybe Demonic Teleport needs a longer cooldown?
Rofl yes, brilliant solution. Or maybe you should just realize that any class has the potential to drag out a 2v1 on most arena maps if they feel like being an !%%%#@!, and just call it a day.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Posted by Flura
[quote="null"]15364262651
Rofl yes, brilliant solution. Or maybe you should just realize that any class has the potential to drag out a 2v1 on most arena maps if they feel like being an !%%%#@!, and just call it a day.[/quote]

At no point in that worthless thing you call a post did you offer a valid retort to what I said. In fact, declaring that "any class" can do that is idiotic. I'm pretty sure I couldn't delay a match nearly indefinitely on my paladin, warrior, death knight, mage or even on my rogue.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Druid
Posted by Stoutfist
At no point in that worthless thing you call a post did you offer a valid retort to what I said. In fact, declaring that "any class" can do that is idiotic. I'm pretty sure I couldn't delay a match nearly indefinitely on my paladin, warrior, death knight, mage or even on my rogue.

Right, my post is worthless. Because you tell us all about how a warlock got you frustrated in a 2v1 on Blade's Edge and then call for balance adjustments because of it. Warlock mobility pre-Cataclysm was below average, and nerfing portal at this point would put them right back in that state mobility-wise (please note that I understand that Warlocks were an extremely powerful PvP class, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make; which is that their mobility was weak).
Reply Quote
6 Orc Warlock
Posted by Stoutfist

HE TELEPORTS AGAIN AND POPS RITUAL OF SOULS BEFORE I CAN CATCH BACK UP TO HIM.

What a nub. He's suppose to drop health stones before the match starts.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Flura, your post IS worthless. You did not explain how that situation is acceptable. And no, "warlocks used to have bad mobility" isn't a valid response. And in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not asking specifically for "NERF DEMONIC TELEPORT". I'm asking for a fix to this situation, and the first one I suggested was Soul Harvest.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
All I got out of this post is that you killed a warrior in 6 seconds...

QQ!!!!

J.k....
A well played warlock is such a pain in the ass. I'd say almost as annoying as mages. Affliction damage is pretty low though (or it was) so....
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Give me a break...demonic circle is our last reliable way to avoyed melee class's. Fear is nothing now, and our other fears have large cool downs. Demonic circle is our last line of defense.

Our health funnel was nerfed severely so we need our soul harvest now.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Posted by Kayolyn
All I got out of this post is that you killed a warrior in 6 seconds...

QQ!!!!

J.k....

A well played warlock is such a pain in the ass. I'd say almost as annoying as mages. Affliction damage is pretty low though (or it was) so....

Yeah, two things to add. First of all, affliction damage DOES need a buff. The damage that warlock did to us was ridiculously low. I felt really bad for him about that.

As for the warrior dying in about 6 seconds... Well, I had popped wings, had three stacks of holy power and hand of light procced twice in a row, as well as art of war. The warrior simply got unlucky, though I'm pretty sure he was also wearing PVE gear.
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
Warlocks do great on Blade's Edge with teleport. Ele shammies do great in EOTS with thunderstorm. Druids of all types do great in WSG carrying the flag.

There's no way to stop abilities from giving certain classes edges in certain arenas/bgs.

And you WON the game against the lock so that doesn't really fit the "locks are broken" premise of your post.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Posted by Stoutfist
<blockquote data-quote="15364262844"><div>Posted by Kayolyn</div>All I got out of this post is that you killed a warrior in 6 seconds...

QQ!!!!

J.k....

A well played warlock is such a pain in the ass. I'd say almost as annoying as mages. Affliction damage is pretty low though (or it was) so....</blockquote>

Yeah, two things to add. First of all, affliction damage DOES need a buff. The damage that warlock did to us was ridiculously low. I felt really bad for him about that.

As for the warrior dying in about 6 seconds... Well, I had popped wings, had three stacks of holy power and hand of light procced twice in a row, as well as art of war. The warrior simply got unlucky, though I'm pretty sure he was also wearing PVE gear.

No, Ret is OP NERF NERF NERF

=P

Probably not a very good team if they didn't both kill the healer. Between the two of them they could CC the healer into oblivion and than go after the poor lil Dwarf (<3).

I was just messing with ya, I think warriors are perfectly balanced (OP when the moons align and abilities proc constantly(More annoying than satisfying)).

________

Yeah, warlocks need help. So do shadow priests now that I think about it.... Only good dot class is ferals lol.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
GTL
affliction damage DOES need a buff.

It definitely doesn't.
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
Evocate used to heal for like 60% - the 40% is a nerf. Soul Harvest's heal is a nice buff to locks, but mages have seen a lot more buffs than locks since WOTLK.

The big difference between soul harvest and evocate is that you have to drop combat before using soul harvest- you can use evocate while in combat.
Edited by Johayn on 12/15/2010 7:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So....

Why didn't your healer just stand by the circle and wait?

"Oh hey, a warlock. I think I'll stun him now as he's casting that spell. Oh, and let's see how he likes exorcism, holy shock, and a judgment. Now he can either stay up here with me chain casting exorcism while my teammate comes up, or he can jump down to my waiting buddy. Either way he isn't doing jack all and I can heal through his BS or bubble as needed. Game over buddy."

You folks wasted 5 minutes of your life because logic and teamwork seem like an alien concept.

Quit complaining that a warlock out-played/maneuvered/thought you and learn some tactics. He would have done that move exactly twice on me and my healer would have been up there waiting for him on the third attempt. See above.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Posted by Zing
affliction damage DOES need a buff.

It definitely doesn't.

Considering he did about 100k damage to me and my healer while I did about 300k while barely being able to keep up with him, I'd say affliction damage might be a tad low.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Posted by Tokenelfpali
So....

Why didn't your healer just stand by the circle and wait?

"Oh hey, a warlock. I think I'll stun him now as he's casting that spell. Oh, and let's see how he likes exorcism, holy shock, and a judgment. Now he can either stay up here with me chain casting exorcism while my teammate comes up, or he can jump down to my waiting buddy. Either way he isn't doing jack all and I can heal through his BS or bubble as needed. Game over buddy."

You folks wasted 5 minutes of your life because logic and teamwork seem like an alien concept.

Quit complaining that a warlock out-played/maneuvered/thought you and learn some tactics. He would have done that move exactly twice on me and my healer would have been up there waiting for him on the third attempt. See above.

He did. Several times. In fact, it's the reason the warlock was at 60% and not at 100% when he jumped down the last time.

My point is that if he'd had a healing partner, we wouldn't even have touched him.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

My point is that if he'd had a healing partner, we wouldn't even have touched him.

And he wouldn't have done enough damage to touch either of you if he had a pocket healer. You guys would probably still be going at it today as it would be a never ending battle. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]