Some small changes to perfect Ret

85 Human Paladin
I've been a ret paladin for 3 or so years now. (Off specced as holy and prot as well).

I played at high levels of PvP throughout WotLK (Dualist multiple times, 100 points away from gladiator in the last season I played)

And I have to say, I actually like the changes to the class. It's more dynamic and fun to play, and adds some much needed abilities to the class . (Rebuke, Long Arm of the Law, etc.)

And although I'm not a huge fan of so much RNG based damage, it doesn't bother me too much.

There are a few things however that make the rotation a little bit clunky.

The way in which holy power is applied, the application of inquisition, and the use of zealotry need to be looked at.

Inquisition is almost unusable in PvP or in short fights, and still clunky in long fights.

IMO Judgement, Auto Attack, Exorcism, and Crusader strike should all guarantee a stack of holy power,

OR Inquisition should work like zealotry and require holy power to use, but not consume it.

Because of the way holy power stacks now, you spend 12 seconds getting your three stacks up for a full duration of Inquisition, and by the time you get a Mastery or AOW proc, or manage to get another 3 stacks for templar's verdict, Inquisition has worn off.

Another idea would be to lower the cooldown of Zealotry to 1 minute. It's a great ability to be sure, but I feel like the reason it's feels so great is because there are some underlying problems to the way holy power is stacked and consumed.

The last idea I have would be to make Exorcism always an instant cast for ret... Without AoW it's already doing less damage, but making it an instant cast would help smooth out the rotation, and give us something to do against kiting classes in PvP.

Sure, long arm of the law helps, but it still takes a while to catch kiting classes and exorcism would give the ability to apply some much needed pressure at range.

Of course I don't think ALL of the above should be implemented... Any single change would help smooth out some of the issues with the class.

anyways... Just tossing around some ideas. I definitely like the changes, but it could still use some small tweaking.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
-The Art of War *
Your special abilities have a [20|40]% chance to make your next Exorcism instant, free and cause 50% additional damage.

In addition, your Seal of Justice allows you to cast Exorcism while moving and to cause the Seal of Justice effect instead of single-target melee attacks.

-Long Arm of the Law *
Your Judgement has a [50|100]% chance to increase your movement speed by 50% for 4 sec. and your Judgement criticals have a [50|100]% chance to grant a charge of Holy Power.

-Sanctity of Battle *
Your Crusader Strike has a 50% chance of granting an additional charge of Holy Power.

-Seals of Command *
Your Seal of Righteousness, Seal of Truth and Seal of Justice now also deal 20% weapon damage as holy each time you swing and causes your Seal of Righteousness to hit up to 2 additional targets.

In addition, your Judgement will always be a critical strike against targets that are stunned or incapacitated.

-Repentance *
Puts the enemy target in a state of meditation, incapacitating them for up to 1 min. Any damage caused will awaken the target. Usable against Demons, Dragonkin, Giants, Humanoids and Undead.

When your Repentance is dispelled or when the target of your Repentance is damaged, that target is dazed for 5 sec.

-Righteouse Crusader (requires Seals of Command) *
Your autoattacks have a [10|20]% chance of refreshing the cooldown on your Hammer of Justice.

-Divine Purpose *
Your Hand of Freedom now removes all stun effects from your target and also makes you immune to dispel mechanics for its duration.

Just a few of my ideas... I hope something changes soon :(
Edited by Lunalia on 12/15/2010 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I really like the Judgment crit idea. Reminds me of the good ol' days.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Yeah, I do too. It would be nice to keep some of our older mechanics.

I have a whole thread that is full of ideas, but one can only dream lol.
Edited by Lunalia on 12/15/2010 9:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
All I need is a low CD for Crusader Strike by default without stacking ridiculous amount of haste. It's a regular strike just like Heroic Strike and all the DK strikes. Never understood the long cool down as it is the only reliable skill we can generate HP.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Yes, with my Sanctity of Battle, I also proposed a 3-3.5 sec CD Crusader Strike.

EDIT
-Eye for an Eye *
Increases the effectiveness of your active aura when you are stunned or incapacitated by [25|50]%, and all magic attacks against you have a [20|40]% chance to cause 50% of the damage taken back to the attacker as well.

To make it suck less. :P

Edited by Lunalia on 12/15/2010 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/15/2010 9:11 AMPosted by Fifthblood
All I need is a low CD for Crusader Strike by default without stacking ridiculous amount of haste. It's a regular strike just like Heroic Strike and all the DK strikes. Never understood the long cool down as it is the only reliable skill we can generate HP.

And it's not like it does insane amounts of damage either... haha.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]