FAQ: Installing & Troubleshooting AddOns

(Sticky)

85 Troll Druid
I am a mature mom-type, so struggle with the computer lingo and instructions that I’m sure is simple and obvious to everyone else. I have been playing wow for years with no difficulties installing and using addons from Curse Client. I have a big ole Mac (so as to compensate for my lack of computer finesse). My addons have gone “poof”. The addon button on the sign on screen in the lower left is also gone. I have checked and curse client (as well as various addons) are located in the addon folder, in the interface folder, in the wow folder. I have updated CC as well as all addons. I had done this 2 days ago and the addons reappeared....for a day. Now what? In simple older mom terms please;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Glamrzilla;

Having a Mac doesn't mean you're computer-illiterate, it just means you have a Mac. Not being a sophisticated user is fine, but if you want to use AddOns it is your responsibility to learn enough "computer skills" to solve some basic troubles. I'll try to explain as best I can for you.
  • Your World of Warcraft game probably lives inside the Applications folder on your Macintosh.

• Inside the World of Warcraft folder is a folder called Interface. This is where your AddOns will live.

• If you have installed your AddOns correctly, when you launch the game and login, there will be a little button in the lower left corner of the screen that says "AddOns."
  • If you don't see this button, something is wrong. [Macintosh Hard Drive]Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/Fane

[Macintosh Hard Drive]
    |----Applications
    |----World of Warcraft
    |----Interface
    |----AddOns
    |----Fane

In the example I use the AddOn "Fane" which changes the appearance of my chat tabs. I like to use it for an example because it's not very complicated. When I download it from WoWInterface.com I get a file called "Fane-1.6.zip" - a compressed file that contains the AddOn.

Your Macintosh computer can automatically open .zip files when you click on them.

You'll get a folder called "Fane" - probably on your desktop - which is usually where people put stuff they're working with. Move that folder (the one called "Fane") into the AddOns folder of your World of Warcraft Folder.

Now usually when someone had AddOns and then suddenly they don't - something strange has happened. Either they updated and it went wrong, or they are logged in as the wrong user, or they deleted/moved/renamed a folder in error. I can't tell what's the case on your end, because I can't see your computer. But - if you have things laid out like the example I have above, you'll be ok. If things don't look like that example, report back.
    Reply Quote
    56 Worgen Death Knight
    I been having problems getting my addons to work. Now I see that you say it should be in C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft. The weird thing is my wow folder is in C:\Users\World of Warcraft (so under user I see a public folder and a wow folder in the user folder.) Also when I click on public, I have no games folder.

I had wow on my computer a while and just installed MOP and started playing again. My operating system is vista.

Do I just make a games file under public and cut and past my wow folder in there? Or is there something else I need to do.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    10/25/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Nagasadow
    Do I just make a games file under public and cut and past my wow folder in there?

That's probably the easiest.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Mage
    04/13/2011 09:33 AMPosted by Ellas
    NVM. Had a head-slap moment when I was making coffee.

What was the solution for you? I am trying to figure the same thing out on my husbands computer we both run the same system and it works fine on mine but on his doesn't seem to want to work.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    11/02/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Anthrakks
    NVM. Had a head-slap moment when I was making coffee.

What was the solution for you? I am trying to figure the same thing out on my husbands computer we both run the same system and it works fine on mine but on his doesn't seem to want to work.

Where is your copy of the game installed? Please provide the entire path.
    Reply Quote
    56 Worgen Death Knight
    Actually I got it to work. I moved the folder and then also I had a double layer (which I checked after reading over the guide again.) Thanks.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    i am having an issue with recount. i have it in the correct folder i know this because i can use recount on my pally. when i switch over to my mage... recount will not come up. any ideas?
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    i am having an issue with recount. i have it in the correct folder i know this because i can use recount on my pally. when i switch over to my mage... recount will not come up. any ideas?

When you login to the game, at the character select screen, click on the AddOns button.

At the top left part of the screen, change the drop down to your Mage's name, then make sure that the box for Recount is checked.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Monk
    So I recently downloaded wow..how do I install my add ons?
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    11/30/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Cheetarra
    So I recently downloaded wow..how do I install my add ons?

The answer is in the first post.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542#1
    Edited by Unkle on 12/3/2012 8:08 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    12 Pandaren Monk
    Guys, i Have Windows 7 and i installed the addons on C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns. still I can't seem to use them.. also im using the free 10 days from WoW yet since its still free then I'm going to buy the Actual MoP patch later.. My friend says he still has his Addons eventhough he's using the same free 10 day version as me.. Please Help. Thanks
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    Guys, i Have Windows 7 and i installed the addons on C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns. still I can't seem to use them.. also im using the free 10 days from WoW yet since its still free then I'm going to buy the Actual MoP patch later.. My friend says he still has his Addons eventhough he's using the same free 10 day version as me.. Please Help. Thanks

You have the Virtual User Store problem discussed in post #3 of this thread.

You really, really, really, really, want to move the entire game installation to a non-protected location.
    Reply Quote
    23 Night Elf Monk
    i just installed wow again and there was no addon folder in the interface file. my game is running smooth but 0 addons can i get some help pls?
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    12/25/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Hînata
    i just installed wow again and there was no addon folder in the interface file. my game is running smooth but 0 addons can i get some help pls?

Read the first three posts again.

Most likely you're using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 and have installed the game in the Program Files folder, which is a protected location, causing your settings and such to be redirected to the hidden AppData folder by the feature called the Virtual User Store.
    Reply Quote
    64 Blood Elf Paladin
    i downloaded them but no addons are showing any ideals how to get them to show in where your toons show
    Reply Quote
    64 Blood Elf Paladin
    i am useing windows 7
    Reply Quote
    64 Blood Elf Paladin
    all my addons are listed but how do i get them to be in the game
    Reply Quote
    88 Undead Hunter
    I have an addon to change the sound of the rifle in the game. I've placed it in the data/sound folder but I don't hear any difference when I use a rifle. Anyone know how to make this work? Just to make things a tad bit clearer, I do have other folders inside the sound folder in fact it would be this order Data/sound/item/weapons/gun If this has to do with it please let me know. Either way I've got only a little understanding of how this works, and by little I mean no understanding whatsoever.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]