FAQ: Installing & Troubleshooting AddOns

(Sticky)

100 Draenei Shaman
01/14/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Eledrian
i downloaded them but no addons are showing any ideals how to get them to show in where your toons show

The first three posts in this thread cover what you need to do. Read those first.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I have an addon to change the sound of the rifle in the game. I've placed it in the data/sound folder but I don't hear any difference when I use a rifle. Anyone know how to make this work? Just to make things a tad bit clearer, I do have other folders inside the sound folder in fact it would be this order Data/sound/item/weapons/gun If this has to do with it please let me know. Either way I've got only a little understanding of how this works, and by little I mean no understanding whatsoever.

You'll need to refer to the install instructions for your particular package. These sorts of AddOns make use of what's called an "override" file. This means that you have a file that has the same path (which means the list of folders and sub-folders to reach that file) and name as one of the game's built-in files. You don't normally see these extra files because the game looks inside one of its .MPQ files to find it.

TOTALLY MADE UP EXAMPLE FOLLOWS, none of these file names/paths are actually from the game.
Say the sound you want to replace is located in Sounds\Monster_Sounds and is called Really_Big_Monster_Growl.ogg. This file is usually located inside Assets001.MPQ.

In order to replace or override that sound, you would make a new folder in your WoW folder called "Sounds" and then a folder inside that called Monster_Sounds. Inside the Monster_Sounds folder you would make a new file called Really_Big_Monster_Growl.ogg.

Now, when the game goes to play that sound, it will use your file instead of the one in Assets001.MPQ.

The install instructions for your override should give you the path and file you need to create in order to change the sound.

Please be aware that you can only make these changes while the game is not running.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Hunter
I did all of this, I added a new folder and put in the correct directory but I'm still not hearing any change of the sound for my gun. If it helps the addon I have been trying to install is "M1 Gun Sounds"
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
01/17/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Axjetvv
I did all of this, I added a new folder and put in the correct directory but I'm still not hearing any change of the sound for my gun. If it helps the addon I have been trying to install is "M1 Gun Sounds"

The problem in this case is that the sound files are in .wav format which was fine when this addon was release 2+ years ago. Now however, the game requires .ogg files. You'll need to convert those .wav files into .ogg files yourself.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Hunter
I did that also but even then the sound didn't change
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I did that also but even then the sound didn't change

This really needs its own thread.

Then most likely the paths have changed and the paths you have from that file are incorrect. It's possible to find the new paths in the useful list compiled by Bluspacecow and Eisa.

See: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13194-5.0.5beta2.html
Reply Quote
My problem is this: Addon button works but most of my addons that i want are not available under the interface option. If i mouse over the game menu, it will show my the memory being used to run them, but most are not available there. I have made sure that under the addon button at character select that all are enabled for all toons and so on, and even out of date, but most still do not show up under interface or if i try to activate them. I know they work ro others, my SPY progame isnt available for me, but i see others using it.

Would appreciate any assistance, please.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Not all AddOns use the Interface screen from the game menu for their options. Check the download page for a description of your AddOns and any instructions on configuring them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
How can i get the minimap buttons to show? Specifically for skada and silver dragon? Had them before but had to do a reinstall and now they are gone after reinstalling add-ons Add-on tab on character load screen shows and add-ons are enabled. Managed to get dbm button on minimap to show thru /dbm options. Ty for any help
Reply Quote
I'm having a little bit of a problem here. My girlfriend and I are both using macs and have installed addons through the curse client, and they worked perfectly fine. After coming back from a break from wow we've noticed that her addons no longer work, they dont even show up in game. Everything is fully up to date too and we've tried reinstalling. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
How can i get the minimap buttons to show? Specifically for skada and silver dragon? Had them before but had to do a reinstall and now they are gone after reinstalling add-ons Add-on tab on character load screen shows and add-ons are enabled. Managed to get dbm button on minimap to show thru /dbm options. Ty for any help

You'll want to check the settings for your specific AddOns. I believe Skada options can be accessed by clicking on the title bar of a skada window. SilverDragon has a Broker plug-in (included) that is supposed to make a minimap button if you don't use some other Broker container (like Chocolate Bar, etc.)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
02/23/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Jaelbeight
'm having a little bit of a problem here. My girlfriend and I are both using macs and have installed addons through the curse client, and they worked perfectly fine. After coming back from a break from wow we've noticed that her addons no longer work, they dont even show up in game. Everything is fully up to date too and we've tried reinstalling. Any ideas?

Does the AddOns button show in the lower left of the character screen? If not, no addons are correctly installed.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
im trying to install bagnon,postal,selljunk and recount and the addon button isnt showing up? i had addons before then i toke a break from wow and when i came back they were gone and i reinstalled them and redownloaded wow even and its still not working? can i please have some help. thanks.
Edited by Mythror on 3/4/2013 9:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
im trying to install bagnon,postal,selljunk and recount and the addon button isnt showing up? i had addons before then i toke a break from wow and when i came back they were gone and i reinstalled them and redownloaded wow even and its still not working? can i please have some help. thanks.

Please re-read the first two posts in this thread for complete instructions.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Mage
All my addOns where working fine until patch 5.2 now when my addOns are enabled the game freezes on the load screen when the load bar becomes full and I have to close the game out. When I disable them I can get on fine. All of them are up to date and I am really confused about why my game wont load with them enabled. Any ideas or help? Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
@Sürii - I think you probably have some corrupted or overly large saved variables for some of your addons (like Recount or Auctioneer) that are preventing the game client from loading int a timely fashion. Try the following;

1. Make a copy of your World of Warcraft/WTF folder. Put it somewhere safe. This is your backup.
2. In your World of Warcraft/WTF/Account_Name/Server_Name/Character_Name folder, look for the SavedVariables folder.
3. Sort the list of files there by size. The largest ones will be for addons which store lots of data like recount or auctioneer. Delete the largest files and try logging in again.

You will lose some historical data or configuration options when you do this, which is why I told you to make a backup copy.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I don't know if I have installed it correctly but I have been try to apply super guild invite and I haven't had a add on button on my character screen what am i doing wrong here?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I don't know if I have installed it correctly but I have been try to apply super guild invite and I haven't had a add on button on my character screen what am i doing wrong here?

When you don't have an AddOn button on the character screen it means the addon isn't installed correctly.

Please read the first three posts in this thread which cover how to install AddOns correctly.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Hunter
Ok I installed a AddOn Pet Tracker for the first time and put it in the Program Files(x86) for Windows 7 64. Yes I know this is the wrong place to put it and I try to move it to the correct folder

C:\Users\Public\Games but it says that that folder does not exist. My addon work fine even though it not in the recommended place but I have no addon button. I am very sorry if this has already been discussed and resolved.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Ok I installed a AddOn Pet Tracker for the first time and put it in the Program Files(x86) for Windows 7 64. Yes I know this is the wrong place to put it and I try to move it to the correct folder

C:\Users\Public\Games but it says that that folder does not exist. My addon work fine even though it not in the recommended place but I have no addon button. I am very sorry if this has already been discussed and resolved.

Your AddOn stuff is being re-directed to the Virtual User Store - a hidden folder. Why? Because in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 the Program Files and Program Files(x86) are protected folders. Unless a program has been given elevated permission by the Administrator (or a user with administrator level access) it doesn't have permission to write to files in those folders. To make sure that older programs could still function properly Microsoft made a set of hidden folders where data gets 'redirected' when a program tries to write a a protected location.

WoW was originally designed for Windows XP, and to be "self-contained" - meaning it did all its work and stored all its data in its own folder.

If things are working for you now, you needn't worry about changing them.

If you want to be able to see hidden folders *How to Show Hidden Files/Folders:

1. Click the Start Button, and choose "Control Panel" from the menu.
2. Choose "Appearance and Personalization."
3. Under "Folder Options" choose "Show hidden files and folders."
4. Click the "View" tab.
5. Find the item labeled, "Hidden files and folders" and click the circle next to "Show hidden files and folders."
6. Click the "Apply" button.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]