FAQ: Installing & Troubleshooting AddOns

(Sticky)

85 Night Elf Druid
I have an imac and this is my first time trying addons and nothing works. I dunno what to do. ): *extends worgen armses for the exchange of comforting snuggles due to addon related trauama*
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Hey guys

So I've been reading Forums everywhere and I've tried multiple things to try and get my missing add on button back but nothing has worked. So I have been playing WOW this year for a while but with no add ons because my button is gone. I have reinstalled WOW but that didnt work, I have reinstalled my add ons but that didnt work either. I have also tried to reset user interface but that did not work either. I just need a step by step help guide to get my add ons back because it would make my life so easy!

:( Please help me! I'm so Add-on deprived

--> Bighitz all day

Read the first two posts. They are your guide to correctly installing AddOns.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
05/17/2012 11:36 PMPosted by Vinya
have an imac and this is my first time trying addons and nothing works. I dunno what to do. ): *extends worgen armses for the exchange of comforting snuggles due to addon related trauama*

Read the first two posts. They are your guide to correctly installing AddOns.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Hey Unkle!

Thanks a bunch...I followed everything they said before but this time looked closely at the pathway and the add ons and found the problem! My addons had an extra folder between the actual add ons and the folder containing them so that was an easy fix. Also instead of being in the USER folder my WOW stuff was in Documents/Public/Games not User/Public/Games.....SOooooooo everything is all fixed and I have my addons back!!

Thanks a Million!

-->Bighitz all day
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
I have npc scan in my addon folder and it works properly, and shows up in the addon list at the bottom left of my screen, during the character selection menu. Thank You BTW, but i recently downloaded recount and its not showing up in the addon menu??? Any solution or problems with the program, that you are aware of?I downloaded it from curse.com just like 3.5 million other people
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
05/23/2012 02:19 AMPosted by Vexatìon
I have npc scan in my addon folder and it works properly, and shows up in the addon list at the bottom left of my screen, during the character selection menu. Thank You BTW, but i recently downloaded recount and its not showing up in the addon menu??? Any solution or problems with the program, that you are aware of?I downloaded it from curse.com just like 3.5 million other people

This usually means you have the "folder in a folder" problem. It is the most common reason why your AddOn won't load. If you have an extra folder layer in the mix, your AddOn won't load.
[C:]
|----World of Warcraft
|----Interface
|----AddOns
|----Fane1234567 <-- Extra Folder. Bad folder. No biscuit.
|----Fane
Edited by Unkle on 5/23/2012 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ive downloaded my addons and placed them in the right folders, they have the right paths and everything. But it's still not showing up. Also, instead of "World of Warcraft" the folder is labeled World of Warcraft Trial- will this make any difference?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542?page=1#2

12/16/2010 10:26 AMPosted by Unkle
● If you're using a Trial client, you can't use AddOns.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'm having some issues with AddOns with my new rig.

Upon logging into WoW for the first time, the game did NOT create an Interface or AddOns folder. I have tried to create my own, but they do not work.

When WoW installed itself, it put its location under Libraries - Documents - Blizzard Entertainment - World of Warcraft, if that means anything.

And, under the World of Warcraft tab, the only four items that are listed are a folder named Logs, two WoW Downloader Tools, and a wow-Patch.MPQ, whatever that is.

Please help.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
@Yinian: Move the entire game directory to something like C:\Users\Public\Games.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
are we doing some additional tech help with this?

if so i have an issue with my addon on my macbook pro

applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/ and i have all the Darnell files in there... am i doing something wrong?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
@Who: See your other thread.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
i have a problem with an addond that doent show up in the game, i've read some of tue common issues but none of them apply to my case.
1-the game is in c/users/public/games/WoW and i dont have any other copy of WoW in my computer
2-My addons are in c/users/public/games/WoW/interface/addons so i didnt misplace them and also the addon doesnt have no extra folders, inside the interface/addon/addon_name folder are the .lua files and folders like XML, Locale and UI folders that make the addon work
3-The addon is out of date but i checked the box to load out of date addons (i have other out of date addons that work perfectly) but the addon doesnt appear in the interface> addon tab when im playing.
4-obviously im not using a trial account and i dont have another addon folder in my pc.

Can anyone help me? the addon is Necrosis, a warlock interface addon. It's very old and hasn't been updated for a couple of years now.
P.S:idk if it has something to do with my addon problem but everytime I log in it asks me to type my battle.net email even when i've checked many times the "remember account" box before.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
1. If you're using the version from 2008 it's just not going to work.

2. The most recent version I can find of Necrosis LdC
  • http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/necrosis-ld-c
  • Make sure this is the one you're installing.

06/20/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Milogkarasu
    P.S:idk if it has something to do with my addon problem but everytime I log in it asks me to type my battle.net email even when i've checked many times the "remember account" box before.

This problem tells me that your WTF folder contents are probably set to "read only" or that your playing on an account on your computer that does not have write permissions to the folder where WoW is installed.
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Druid
    Ok i have them in this folder C:Users>Public>Games>World of Warcraft>Interface>Add Ons

They aren't working the button isn't even showing up on my log screen do you know why?
    Thanks in advance
    Edited by Trnsformer on 6/27/2012 5:59 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Make sure that you did not copy the download file into the add-on folder. If you have, then none of your addons that you have placed that way will work. You need to open the download link and copy all the files inside into your addons. the key is seeing if there is any numbers or letters after the file name. ex: postal = correct but ex: postalv456 = incorrect. with the incorrect way is when you have the download folder in there instead of the actual file. It can be very tricky with add ons that are only one folder. Hope this helps. :)
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Shaman
    Ok i have them in this folder C:Users>Public>Games>World of Warcraft>Interface>Add Ons

They aren't working the button isn't even showing up on my log screen do you know why?
    Thanks in advance

- Extracting your AddOns

AddOns are delivered in compressed files to save space on hosting sites servers and to reduce the amount of time it takes you to download them. They are commonly in .zip format with some .rar format files. Windows and Macintosh computers have native support for .zip files. If your AddOn is compressed in .rar format, you will need another program to open them. Your web browser may also be able to open compressed files for you automatically after they are downloaded.

For Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 users I suggest 7-Zip.
    ● http://www.7-zip.org/

For Mac OSX users I suggest The Unarchiver.
    ● http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

When the AddOn is extracted, you should have a folder that is named the AddOn’s name.
    Example:
    I’m downloading the AddOn Fane from WoWInteface.com.
    - I get the compressed file Fane-1.6.zip.
    - After I extract it I have a folder called Fane. This folder contains everything I need for the AddOn.

Some AddOns have sub-folders inside their main folder. This is fine, and you should leave them there.

Some AddOns are called one name, but are really multiple AddOns delivered together. When this happens, you download a compressed file that has several folders in it.
    Example:
    I’m downloading the AddOn AtlasLootEnhanced from WoWInteface.com.
    - I get the compressed file AtlasLootv6.01.01.zip.
    - After I extract it I have a folder called AtlasLootv6.01.01 .
    -Inside this folder are several folders:
    AtlasLoot
    AtlasLoot_BurningCrusade
    AtlasLoot_Cataclysm
    AtlasLoot_ClassicWoW
    AtlasLoot_Crafting
    AtlasLoot_WorldEvents
    AtlasLoot_WrathoftheLichKing
    These folders, not the AtlasLootv6.01.01 go into my AddOn folder.

- Where to Put AddOns Once You’ve Extracted Them

AddOns belong in the following folder: World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns
    Examples:
    - Windows XP
    C: \Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\

- Windows Vista or Windows 7
    C:\Users\Public\Games\ World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\

- Mac OSX
    [Macintosh Hard Drive]../World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/

Put the folder you extracted into the correct folder for your operating system.

Correctly installed, my example AddOn, Fane, looks like this:
    ● Windows XP
    C: \Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Fane

[C:] (or which ever drive you have the game installed on)
    |----World of Warcraft
    |----Interface
    |----AddOns
    |----Fane

● Windows Vista or Windows 7
    C:\Users\Public\Games\ World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Fane
    Windows Vista or Windows 7
    |----Users
    |----Public
    |----Games
    |----World of Warcraft
    |----Interface
    |----AddOns
    |----Fane

● Mac OSX
    [Macintosh Hard Drive]../World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/Fane

[Macintosh Hard Drive]
    |----World of Warcraft
    |----Interface
    |----AddOns
    |----Fane

The most common issue with why your AddOn won't load.
    If you have an extra folder layer in the mix, your AddOn won't load.
    |----World of Warcraft
    |----Interface
    |----AddOns
    |----Fane1234567 <-- Extra Folder. Bad folder. No biscuit.
    |----Fane
    Edited by Unkle on 7/5/2012 12:36 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    2 Human Warlock
    I am very new to the game and just curious which addons are essential to good game play and user friendly.
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Shaman
    07/07/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Biziatch
    I am very new to the game and just curious which addons are essential to good game play and user friendly.

Not to be unfriendly, but this is the wrong thread to get AddOn recommendations.

The best advice I can give you is this;

Decide what feature is missing from the stock user interface that you would like to have. Once you've identified that, you can start to look for an AddOn that provides that feature (within the contraints of the UI/AddOns limitations).

I would sugest searching WoWInterface and Curse.
  • http://www.wowinterface.com
  • http://www.curse.com
  • Reply Quote
    86 Human Paladin
    Yep, it was the file name. Thanks, Unkle!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]