FAQ: Installing & Troubleshooting AddOns

(Sticky)

90 Orc Hunter
Help! I was playing, and something popped up saying that their too many problems with the addon or something like that. and no addons r working
help plz
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i guess i didnt do itt right i just transfered my addons to the interface folder but i cant access my addons in the game i really need some help
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
So my issue is, I have downloaded several addons such as Decursive, Healbot, Recount, DBM, and atlasloot. These are all very common addons which i've used before on my last laptop(I have a macbook now). Well after placing the files into my interface>Addon folder only DBM and Atlasloot are showing in my addon menu at the character select.

I know that I placed them in the addon folder correctly so that shouldn't be an issue.
I also was completely exited out of WoW when I DLed and placed them into the addon folder.
I made sure I downloaded the most recent copy of each addon.

I can't seem to figure out why they aren't even showing up.

I was able to DL Skada instead of recount and Skada worked fine. But I then tried to DL combustionhelper and again same issue as Decursive, Healbot, and Recount.

Any help will be very appreciated!!!

Thank you
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The addons are not listed when i press the addon button. I'll give you an example of decursive that I downloaded as i read this.
Downloaded Decursive 2.7.0.5 which is for version 4.3 released in Febuary. The newest ones are betas so I didn't use them

This is what is inside the Decursive Folder

Bindings.xml
Dcr_DebuffsFrame.lua
Dcr_DebuffsFrame.xml
Dcr_DIAG.lua
Dcr_DIAG.xml
Dcr_Events.lua
DCR_init.lua
Dcr_LDB.lua
Dcr_lists.lua-1
Dcr_lists.xml
Dcr_LiveList.lua
Dcr_LiveList.xml
Dcr_opt.lua
Dcr_Raid.lua
Dcr_utils.lua
Decursive.lua
Decursive.toc
Decursive.xml
doc (FOLDER)
embeds.xml
iconOFF.tga
iconON.tga
Libs (FOLDER)
LICENSE.txt
loc_lists.txt
Localization (FOLDER)
OldChangeLog.txt
Readme.txt
Sounds (FOLDER)
Textures (FOLDER)
Todo.txt
WhatsNew.md.txt

I moved all those files to my Addons folder

MacIntoshHD>Application>Worldofwarcraft>interface>addons

Close the window and start up WoW.
When I open my addons list at the Character select, Decursive is NOT listed there at all.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Help! I was playing, and something popped up saying that their too many problems with the addon or something like that. and no addons r working
help plz

You clicked the button that disabled all your addons.

At the Character selection screen, click the AddOns button. Then click the "Enable All" button.

PLEASE NOTE: You will get the same error message again, most likely because you have one or more addons which are out of date or broken. You will need to troubleshoot to find the ones that are broken.

My suggestion to you is to make sure you have the most recent version of all of your AddOns, downloading them from Curse.com or WoWInterface.com or the AddOn author's website.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
08/03/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Tallenough
i guess i didnt do itt right i just transfered my addons to the interface folder but i cant access my addons in the game i really need some help

This sounds like you've incorrectly extracted/installed your AddOns. Please read the first two posts again. This is not a step you can skimp on. You must follow the directions carefully.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
The addons are not listed when i press the addon button. I'll give you an example of decursive that I downloaded as i read this.
Downloaded Decursive 2.7.0.5 which is for version 4.3 released in Febuary

Uumelen - The line I emphasized in the quote tells me that you have incorrectly extracted and installed your AddOn.

I'm guessing you have the "folder in a folder" problem that I talk about in the first post:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542
[Macintosh Hard Drive]
|----World of Warcraft
|----Interface
|----AddOns
|----Decursive 2.7.0.5 <-- Extra Folder. Bad folder. No biscuit.
|----Decursive
Edited by Unkle on 8/15/2012 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2010 10:26 AMPosted by Unkle
● If you're using a Trial client, you can't use AddOns.

I don't think this is true any longer.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
08/24/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Hershe
● If you're using a Trial client, you can't use AddOns.

I don't think this is true any longer.

I'll have to try it out by firing up a trial and seeing how it goes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Unkle, you're the best!

For the first time in years I've had trouble with my wow so I looked it up online. I just had to sift through some of your super helpful posts and presto! I have my addons back. Thanks for your clear and concise instructions :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
08/31/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Hatshepüt
Thanks for your clear and concise instructions :)

You're most welcome.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I had loads and loads of trouble trying to get my Add On button to appear. I'm not a fan of the client, and do not work for Curse.com, but I installed their client and it did *something* to fix my Add On folder, so now I have an add on button once again.
Reply Quote
40 Goblin Priest
Ok so i downloaded an addon i put it in the addon folder now what do i do?
Reply Quote
40 Goblin Priest
Wow this is so complicated none of it is working for me.
Ok so i downloaded 7.zip thing from the site i extracted the files and put them in my folder i open the folder and i click on one of the things inside the folder and it says "The file type is not supported or the file type has been damaged" please help im so confused
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i cant find the addon button on my caracthere screen and all my files are being instaled like this C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Recount-v5.0.4a_release so i dont know if u cant guive me an issue to that probleme ty!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
09/09/2012 11:43 PMPosted by Edjo
i cant find the addon button on my caracthere screen and all my files are being instaled like this C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Recount-v5.0.4a_release so i dont know if u cant guive me an issue to that probleme ty!

You have incorrectly extracted and installed your AddOn. You have the "folder in a folder" problem that I talk about in the first post:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542
[-- Your Computer's Hard Drive]
|----World of Warcraft
|----Interface
|----AddOns
|----Recount-v5.0.4a_release<-- Extra Folder. Bad folder. No biscuit.
|----Recount (and other folders)
Edited by Unkle on 9/12/2012 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Wow this is so complicated none of it is working for me.
Ok so i downloaded 7.zip thing from the site i extracted the files and put them in my folder i open the folder and i click on one of the things inside the folder and it says "The file type is not supported or the file type has been damaged" please help im so confused

It's not complicated, really. :) Re-read the first post again, carefully.

If you have Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 - you don't really need 7zip or WinZip to extract .zip format compressed files, but they are much more feature-rich and capable than the built-in tools.

Mac OS X also has native support for .zip format compressed files, but the UnArchiver is again, much more powerful.

A compressed file is a way to combine and shrink multiple items into one easy to download package. When you get an AddOn from wowinterface.com or curse.com you're downloading all the parts of the AddOn in one compressed file - usually in .zip format. Inside the file you download is your AddOn.

For example the file "Recount-v5.0.4a_release.zip" that I just this second downloaded from curse.com contains a folder called "Recount" which has several sub-folders and bits included in the Recount folder to make up the AddOn.

The part you need to copy to your World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns folder is the folder called "Recount." I covered all of this in the first post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm having trouble getting my addon to appear, and I've been doing it successfully for years, exactly the way you describe.

I did a fresh install a few days ago to prepare for MoP, and I'm suspecting my problem is that I'm running Windows 7, but the game installed to Program Files not Users. Now that I've been playing for a couple of days, can I move the files or do I need to re-install again?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I'm having trouble getting my addon to appear, and I've been doing it successfully for years, exactly the way you describe.

I did a fresh install a few days ago to prepare for MoP, and I'm suspecting my problem is that I'm running Windows 7, but the game installed to Program Files not Users. Now that I've been playing for a couple of days, can I move the files or do I need to re-install again?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1536706542#3
Now, prior to WoW 3.0, the game happily installed itself in the Program Folders file and caused all sort of headaches when people upgraded to Windows Vista or Windows 7 from Windows XP. Now, the game will offer it install itself in C:\Users\Public\Games to avoid this hassle. But, if you upgrade from Windows XP make your life easier, and move WoW from the Program Files folder to Users\Public\Games before running WoW for the first time.

You can just copy/paste the whole folder. You will need to update your launcher's shortcut properties to reflect the new location.
Edited by Unkle on 9/26/2012 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]