Prot Paladin Mana Issues?

85 Undead Mage
I'm wanting to roll a prot paladin, but a friend of mine swears up and down that prot paladins are 'ruined' because they are OOM 99% of the time. After running a few dungeons with him, I noticed that his mana bar is almost always empty, so he's not making this up.

However, since I can't seem to find anyone else on these (or any other) forums, i'm thinking its probably a player problem rather than a class problem.

Any tanks able to shed some light on this situation?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/16/2010 4:34 PMPosted by Serrahn
I'm wanting to roll a prot paladin, but a friend of mine swears up and down that prot paladins are 'ruined' because they are OOM 99% of the time. After running a few dungeons with him, I noticed that his mana bar is almost always empty, so he's not making this up.

However, since I can't seem to find anyone else on these (or any other) forums, i'm thinking its probably a player problem rather than a class problem.

Any tanks able to shed some light on this situation?

Heh, tell him to not use Cons.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I use Cons all the time, mana has rarely been an issue so far.

It really just comes down to the player, Mana is only an issue if you are doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Protection paladins have a pretty easy mana regeneration mechanic (two of them, actually).

One is that everytime you judge, you'll regenerate 30% of your base mana over 10 seconds.

The other is Sanctuary: Each time you dodge or block, you gain 3% of your maximum mana.

If you judge frequently, then you generally shouldn't have mana issues.

Consecration without any talent points in Hallowed Ground CAN be temporarily expensive. However, you should still be able to recover the mana whenever you need it, and putting even one point in Hallowed Ground should extinguish any mana concerns even if you use it frequently.

I recommend Glyph of the Ascetic Crusader and not using Hammer of the Righteous over Crusader Strike in single target situations, though (where mana return from Sanctuary is reduced compared to AE pulls).
Edited by Angelique on 12/16/2010 4:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been OOM one time in all the Cata dungeons I've run so far. I just keep Judgement on cooldown, and don't use Consecration on every pull. I don't even need to use Divine Plea all that often, and mana is not a very big issue for me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Don't worry about it, mana issues for protection paladins haven't been around ever since 4.0.1 came out, though you might have some slight mana issues if you haven't specced into hallowed ground and use consecration whenever it's off cooldown. (I have hallowed ground 2/2 so consecration only ever costs about 4k mana).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Tell him to use his Judgement, it returns mana. I have noticed if I start mashing buttons and not really paying attention to what I'm doing my mana drops off but if you stick to the 939 rotation then my mana stays about 70% after long fight, and that is using Cons.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, something else: In certain leveling dungeons you CAN run into mobs that mana burn (Mana Tomb, Nexus, for example). But at those levels, threat is rarely an issue, so you can use Seal of Insight to counter them (Seal of Insight has a mana proc and returns 15% base mana when judged).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]