How do YOU learn new dungeons?

100 Blood Elf Hunter
I usually read up on them first. I think twice in WotLK the dungeon finder put me into dungeons I hadnt read up on thanks to requeues with a good group. In those 2 folks were nice enough to explain any special things to watch for.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Trial and error for me, its much more fun that way.
Reply Quote
Just go in and hope for the best, I learn patterns rather quickly, I don't like to cheat and read sites that have battles scripted out for me.

I don't really think in the old days of knights, every army fortifying a castle, had a scroll hanging on their gates telling the invading army exactly how to defeat them.
Edited by Kaldvaer on 12/16/2010 5:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
My Normal policy is "kill boss, kill adds, avoid dangerous stuff."
Reply Quote
I'm really slow at leveling... so I go with friends who explain the fights before hand. =)
Reply Quote
91 Orc Hunter
I ran a dungeon last night with a tank that was new to the dungeon and gave him 1 sentence instructions before each pull. I'm not sure why people don't help out more. It makes the experience much more enjoyable and quick.

Before this tank though we had a douche bag tank and he kept overpulling and not listening. If you ask nicely and act in a reasonable manner, people should help you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Youtube works for new players.

I like trial and error best though
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I think there is a way to teach new players the skills needed to do dungeons, such as CC, stepping out of fire and threat management.

For the last quest in Mount Hyjal, you have to help Cenarius, Malfurion and another shaman drive back Ragnaros into his realm. Ragnaros does various things like send adds to interrupt their castings, and also the fire wall. I thought that it is an ideal, safe environment to teach new players about dungeon skills.

What Blizzard could do, is design encounters during solo questing to teach new players these skills.

The firewall that Ragnaros does teaches you how to avoid fire in dungeons.

The encounter could be changed so that a boss mob channels a spell at your ally, and an emote will appear saying "Interrupt boss' channeling spell to free your ally" or "Handle these adds that are attacking your ally using CC or tank them". This teaches new players about using interrupt spells and CC.

The encounter can also have an NPC tank a mob, and warns you not to exceed his threat limit. This teaches new players about aggro management.

There is a lot of potential in events like the Cenarius one.
Edited by Goldbrand on 12/16/2010 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Adepts tend to Heal. CC them.

Anything with the word 'caster' in the name is nasty. CC it.

Elementals can be Banished and/or Feared. Only if you have the glyph for Fear.

Demons, likewise.

If the ground changes colors, move.

If something is falling on you, move.

Stay away from edges.

Smoke is bad, don't go in it.

Turn the boss away from the DPS and healer.

Reply Quote
Community Manager
12/16/2010 5:17 PMPosted by Atavian
Trial and error?
Hope someone else has been there before?
Study online sites?
Watching encounter videos?

My personal approach -- which is by no means canon -- is a healthy combination of "trial and error," "study online sites," and "hope someone else has been there before." While I prefer not to spoil the visual experience too much, if I'm about to take on more difficult content (like a new raid boss, for example), I'll sometimes watch encounter videos, too, just to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

Trial and error is certainly my favorite method, though (provided that I've some base understanding of the encounter). I feel that I'm able to learn more by making mistakes, wiping, analyzing what went wrong, and then trying something new rather than simply walking into a dungeon and knowing all the mechanics outright. I can get a better feel for what I should be doing and, perhaps more importantly, what I shouldn't be doing -- which I think makes me a better player and a more groovy person all around.

Again, that's just my personal preference, and the idea of wiping more than once may not always mesh well with the other players I group with -- especially if they have a greater understanding of an encounter than I do. If that's the case and they're able to just tell me where to go and what to do, I'm happy to defer to their wisdom, even if that means I don't get to learn the fight the way I prefer. For me, running dungeons is all about working together, and -- hey! -- I can always go and wipe with my friends some other time if I'm really jonesing for a repair bill. :P
Edited by Lylirra on 12/17/2010 12:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
Most times I'll just OCD the boss' cast bar and buffs. If he starts doing something with nova or smash in the name, I'll move out, stuff like that.
...cool, i follow blue text
Edited by Magnatos on 12/16/2010 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
Judge thread of mobs based on their names and crowd control appropriately.

Wipe, check recount to work out what mobs do what. Repeat until boss.

Attack boss, check what it does, repeat until complete.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I like to first run dungeons as DPS since I find it much easier to focus on the fights when I don't need to stress out over health bars.

I read Wowhead boss info first, but I can never remember that crap once I'm actually in there.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I'm not the type of person who enjoys torturing others with my crappiness, so I don't do the new dungeons.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
I have to say, I always find it fun the first time a whole group has never done a certain boss b4. The uncertainty and surprise, and sometimes mayhem that follows is great!
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I fake it till I make it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I generally figure stuff out through close and careful observation, then doing what i think will yield results.
Reply Quote
I learn fights hands on. I can go into a fight I've never done before and figure out exactly what i need to do or where i need to go based solely on visual clues and past experiences. If I get debuffed with something I quickly hover over it to see what it says. With blizzards new method of linking boss skills in the chat log this is even easier for me to learn things on the fly.
Reply Quote
42 Troll Mage
Watch a video before hand, then dive on in and hope for the best.

Wiping is the best way to teach nublets.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]