Making healing fun again

87 Dwarf Paladin
So they wanted to make healing more fun to play, well they have some sick idea of what fun is.

I have played since MC days, and have three healers, I loved healing, however I'm thinking of giving it up all together if this healing doesn't get fixed very soon, I dread healing now.

health pools dubbled, mana pools however did not, the cost of spells shot to the moon, o and my favorite my heals are healing for less, with more damage coming in.

Please if you want to make stuff challenging stop taking it out on the healers, these soft enrage timers are just stupid for 5 man heroic, the boss has to be dead before I run out of mana. So if one dps stands some place they shouldn't of we don't kill the boss because of the mana I wasted keeping them alive. they need to allow for a little forgiveness, as it stands right now there is none.

I'm not saying to nerf the heroics, just boost my mana pool, reduce the cost of spells, (this base amount of mana is just stupid, as my mana pool goes up so does the cost of the spell, worst idea ever,) and finally make the expensive heals actually heal for a good amount, 20-30k doesn't cut it. I shouldn't have to cast three 30k heals which is about 24k mana as it stands, which is almost 40% of my mana pool, just to recover from having to move at the wrong time. Do triage they say, well that works on the DPS, but not the tanks, they actually have to stay alive.

Here is how it is, I keep reading where they think healing is fine, when its not, you cant compare top end players to the casual, sure content is easy to them, but this is over kill to the casual players. I'll give it another week of gearing up, but at the end of that time if healing is not fixed I'm going to switch to strictly DPS only.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
qq. Never finished Ulduar. Never finished ICC. Healing is fine. Casual =/= bad
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't see what the big deal is with healing. I've been running heroics for the past 5 days wearing absolutely TERRIBLE gear and the ONLY time i ever really have any problems healing are on fights that have A LOT of aoe damage, or a fight like ripsnarl in deadmines.

what you need to do is stop healing people who are stupid. heroics are meant to be hard and unforgiving. we're not supposed to be face rolling the content like we were at the end of Wrath and quite frankly, the new heroics and instances are amazing.

TL:DR don't heal people who stand in fire.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
p.s. this will help ;)

http://www.bandagespec.com/2010/12/10-tips-for-cata-healing-on-pally.html#more

Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Paladin
so your opinion doesn't even count.

and if you are healing 5 man heroics in !*@@ gear, then you are being carried by others, so your opinion doesn't count, yeah and thx for the healing advice, think ill listen to people who actually have constructive feedback as opposed to trolls
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
INC
I feel it important to say that as a new holy priest (as my Wrath healers were druids and a disc priest), I am having a lot of fun. I am making mistakes because I don't know my class perfectly. I am having to select spells to use instead of spamming the 2 or three that work. I tell people to pull big groups so I can "train" for cata dungeon healing.

And you might laugh at that last point, but cast times, mana costs and the like were proportionate shifts, so in effect, I am certain that I am healing relative to the new content. And I am having fun. And no, I am not just spamming "heal".

So, I think you really have to consider "why" healing is not fun (for you). Because for me, healing is fun. Wrath healing, not fun.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
If your ret gear is just as good as your holy gear, you need to run more normals.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Healing got so boring and monotonous in Wrath. I healed ICC 25s in holy and and I did was sit there with beacon on the tank and spammed holy light on the raid. No one could beat me on the heal meters. People were wondering why I was out healing the druids. So they thought the druids sucked. It was hilarious. But still boring. All I did was 1 spell. I could sit there hitting it over and over, and read my book. YAAWWWNN.

I switched to prot/ret in 4.0 and haven't tried holy since. But since getting 85 and hearing how much trouble healers are having, I've been working on a heal set. And from the healers I've seen in heroics, Pallys have been the best. They almost never oom, and never let anyone die. And from the healing strats, I've read sounds like they have a wide variety of healing techniques now. Which is what Blizzard has intended to do with healing in Cata.

As for the worst healer, I would have to say that falls on Disc Priests. Cata seems to be about a lot of aoe dmg to groups. Disc priests are just not designed to handle the group heals. At least I have yet to see one that knows their class well enough to do so.

Blizzard wants you to think about the spells you are using. For example, Ret us to be a faceplant on the keyboard and you could pull 6k dps. Now its complicated. Its about stacking up hp and bursting out procs. Sometimes I can push out 10k, but other times I'm waiting for the procs. Each class has been redesigned so you have to think about what spells you are using. Healers are no different. There are no real rotations anymore. Each situation is different. Adapt! L2P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I healed my first heroic yesterday, and it was a success for 2 reasons... The group i was with was great, and i understand how to heal.

If dps are taking damage to the point that you have to take your focus away from the tank, and heal them and then going oom in the process, guess what, its the dps fault, not you or the game. Even in normals that ive run, ive told the dps flat out "if you die, its your fault, learn to help me keep you alive, im not burning my mana for you"

All you guys that are complaining, just stop and learn, or quit.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/17/2010 10:03 AMPosted by Syramun
Healing got so boring and monotonous in Wrath. I healed ICC 25s in holy and and I did was sit there with beacon on the tank and spammed holy light on the raid. No one could beat me on the heal meters. People were wondering why I was out healing the druids. So they thought the druids sucked. It was hilarious. But still boring. All I did was 1 spell. I could sit there hitting it over and over, and read my book. YAAWWWNN.

Pre nerf it wasn't like this. It is now. Spam HL, judge every 6 sec, DL the tank when taking a lot, and LoD when you have 3 hps.

That's it.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Im a really big fan of normalizing our healing coefficients not mana consumtion. I think this is where blizz kinda missed the boat. If they looked at each classes spells and adjusted that overall strength in relation to its function THAT would have effectively done what they are asking of us without all the headaches.

One proposal was to set heal values based on the % of a players health. So i cast healing touch that is our nuke heal that will heal for say 40-50% the players health. But a filler like nourish would only heal for 30-35% but carry its function to refresh the HoTs on someone.

The only issue with my proposed model would be LVL based. A low lvl healer under that system would be able to heal a higher lvl with the same effectiveness unless some sort of cap was in place. Or adjust the values where INT adds to the spellpower but not so much it makes a instant cast take someone near death to full.

The main issue everyone is complaining about is the lack of freedom to cast or weave certain spells and feeling restrained mana wize. This proposed idea would effectively kill 2 birds in one stone without major changes to class talents etc. Imo, mana should only be a "slight" issue not a boom or bust thing. If they wanting to balance heals for both PVP and PVE i really think this model would work for them but alas im not a dev so not much i can really do on that front.

Ultimatley i kinda feel blizzard open a can of worms that really didnt need to be so drastic. But again, im not a dev and really have no clue on their future plans for anything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/17/2010 10:19 AMPosted by Oakthorne
Im a really big fan of normalizing our healing coefficients not mana consumtion. I think this is where blizz kinda missed the boat. If they looked at each classes spells and adjusted that overall strength in relation to its function THAT would have effectively done what they are asking of us without all the headaches.

One proposal was to set heal values based on the % of a players health. So i cast healing touch that is our nuke heal that will heal for say 40-50% the players health. But a filler like nourish would only heal for 30-35% but carry its function to refresh the HoTs on someone.
That's an absolutely terrible idea because then healing throughput wouldn't scale with healer gear, meaning that there would be less incentive for healers to improve their gear.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I'm having a blast. I have to triage, resource manage, stay aware of potential damage sources, interrupt, and CC at the same time. It's more exciting then DPS. Dunno why people are complaining so much*. It's awesome.

*unless they suck and can't do that many things at once.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I agree with balancing the coefficients a little more, not based off the targets health as was said earlier, but making our spellpower count a little more towards each spell. Like if healing touch gets 50% of our sellpower, make it 100. it shouldnt take 5+ healing touches to heal a dps =/ and on a more comical, but still pathetic, note...wild growth heals for less than its mana cost
Edited by Draigar on 12/17/2010 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]