Holy Pally thoughts, for what it's worth

85 Draenei Paladin
Let me start out by saying I am probably the average player who has done raid content, just not in the first week of an expansion.

I have also been playing a Holy Paladin since BC launched, so that's...a couple of years and while it doesn't give me "vanilla" experience, I think a couple of years is sufficient.

There is no doubt that healing expectations are much different now than they were in WOTLK, however changes to Holy Paladin's have been made for quite some time now and each class has (at various times over the years) come to the boards raging over changes made to their classes. Think Warlock's when they went from being almost first in dps to...well..lower on the charts.

1. Personally, I do not like the holy power mechanic. That doesn't mean it doesn't have value or that it won't grow and evolve over time. It just means I'm not a fan at the moment.

2. Just when I was working around the new holy power mechanic, the tower of radiance nerf encouraged me to rethink my trust in Blizzard who for the most part has brought me a lot of fun in this game. I had learned how to maximize the holy power generation and then it was whapped with the nerf bat. It also made me think I might retire Morcia and play something else until they "fix" holy paladins.

3. Holy Paladin's are still one of the best healing classes out there however and the only way you can stay in the game, stay in your class and have fun...is to stop trying to play WOTLK in Cataclysm because in doing so you're only going to disapoint yourself.

4. Stack spirit...for now. On everything you can. Dislike it, complain about it to anyone who will listen...but do it. It has made a huge difference in my ability to have mana at the end of heroic boss encounters.

5. Stop using heavy mana cost spells on every pull. Stop. It's a hard habit to break yes, but stop. You can no longer carry bad tanks or dps by spamming flash. Stop. Don't do it.

6. Refrain from running heroics until you understand that DPS and tanks are learning how to play their rolls as well. Keep in mind they have been conditioned over two years to play their classes a certain way. Most everyone is in a state of transition right now...learning and educating themselves. They are in the same boat we are.

7. Refrain from running pug heroics until you have grown a great deal of patience. They are hard. You're going to die and you're going to die a lot. If your perception of playing this game is that you are supposed to, entitled to one shot every encounter, you are suddenly playing the wrong game.

8. Communicate. Blessed is the person who asks questions, who works with the other people in the group.

9. Realize that at some point leaving a bad group is an option. When you've wiped 15 times on a boss and nobody is "getting the message" just accept it, leave and go mine or something. Accept that some folks just aren't going to be able to progress.

10. Have some faith in Blizzard. It's obvious they are watching, reading, and looking at the numbers. They have said this week they were doing this and right now they are happy with what they're seeing. Let's trust them a little that they might have an idea of what they're doing. We don't have to like it or love it, we need to deal with that idea.

The game has changed and we all need to change and adapt with it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Good post. Very much what is going through my mind too. Since the last nerf to ToR, I sort of feel like the rug got pulled out from under me again. I don't plan on doing many heroics unless it's with guildies, and I'm just going to stack spirit to mitigate the need for using Holy Power based heals unless I need an LoD or emergency WoG.

One other thing I've run across. Make sure to get in the habit of judging the boss. Right now @ 85, it's giving me back like 3.5K mana, so over the course of a fight, that's a nice chunk.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/17/2010 1:48 PMPosted by Olafson
Good post. Very much what is going through my mind too. Since the last nerf to ToR, I sort of feel like the rug got pulled out from under me again. I don't plan on doing many heroics unless it's with guildies, and I'm just going to stack spirit to mitigate the need for using Holy Power based heals unless I need an LoD or emergency WoG.

One other thing I've run across. Make sure to get in the habit of judging the boss. Right now @ 85, it's giving me back like 3.5K mana, so over the course of a fight, that's a nice chunk.

Stacking spirit helps...I'm just not sure if that is what Blizzard has really intended for end game content. Basically by stacking spirit you're losing, haste, mastery etc. and I can't imagine that would be ideal.

Edit: I have always been in the habit of judging since back in the day doing so meant heals for people who were whacking the target...so having judgment for the haste bonus and the mana refund...well, it gets put into the rotation, probably more out of habit than anything else.
Edited by Morcia on 12/17/2010 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
12/17/2010 3:09 PMPosted by Morcia
Stacking spirit helps...I'm just not sure if that is what Blizzard has really intended for end game content. Basically by stacking spirit you're losing, haste, mastery etc. and I can't imagine that would be ideal.

You are supposed to stack it to what you are most comfortable with. That, with haste as well. If all you want to do is just stack spirit, there just might be a cutoff point where it is pointless. But for now, it's to where you are most comfortable.

For me, that's going to be around the point where every holy light I cast, I get 3000 mana back for regen.

Keep in mind haste will take some of that off everytime you increase it, so again, stack "both" to what you are most comfortable with.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/17/2010 3:27 PMPosted by Economics

You are supposed to stack it to what you are most comfortable with. That, with haste as well. If all you want to do is just stack spirit, there just might be a cutoff point where it is pointless. But for now, it's to where you are most comfortable.

For me, that's going to be around the point where every holy light I cast, I get 3000 mana back for regen.

Keep in mind haste will take some of that off everytime you increase it, so again, stack "both" to what you are most comfortable with.

Hadn't quite thought about it that way...makes sense though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
12/17/2010 1:20 PMPosted by Morcia
6. Refrain from running heroics until you understand that DPS and tanks are learning how to play their rolls as well. Keep in mind they have been conditioned over two years to play their classes a certain way. Most everyone is in a state of transition right now...learning and educating themselves. They are in the same boat we are.

I quoted this part because I really, really think it's important for us all to remember. I just got done reading a thread in the damage dealer forums that did a good job of explaining the frustration that dps have right now - particularly in regards to good vs. bad AoE.

An excellent and thoughtful post OP - we need more of these right now =).

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/17/2010 3:29 PMPosted by Tuffadin

I quoted this part because I really, really think it's important for us all to remember. I just got done reading a thread in the damage dealer forums that did a good job of explaining the frustration that dps have right now - particularly in regards to good vs. bad AoE.

An excellent and thoughtful post OP - we need more of these right now =).

I just saw a post from a tank who came here thanking healers for putting up with him and dps. We need more of this mentality.

Thanks for the response.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The most important advice:

Don't Panic!

I had gotten into a comfortable "priority" system of healing my Normal instances when the latest Hotfix came down. I was pretty worried the next time I zoned into an instance.

Its definitely a different feel now, and I'm using more mana, but its adaptable if you give yourself some time to adjust.

I would also Second the notion that this is not the end of our tuning. I think having our primary AoE heal on an 18 second CD (3 HS), or being prohibitively expensive (3 FL, HS+ 2FL), is not the goal. It certainly won't make for a very good Raid-healer, and I would avoid that role for the moment.

I could see the HL + ToR being reverted, but with a short CD added to LoD. That or reducing the Holy Power cost to 2 charges for a full power LoD, but not having its healing transfer to the Beacon target. The current change feels like a band-aid.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
I would also Second the notion that this is not the end of our tuning. I think having our primary AoE heal on an 18 second CD (3 HS), or being prohibitively expensive (3 FL, HS+ 2FL), is not the goal. It certainly won't make for a very good Raid-healer, and I would avoid that role for the moment.

I don't think pallies are meant to be good AOE healers. We are good multi target healers though, and that's what the beacon is intended for. To push heals to the beacon while we are patching up other people. And with PotL, what is pushed to the beacon is very near to what we cast. Barring overhealing, pallies are actually one of the most efficient healers in the game, even after nerf.

I actually fell victim to the LoD way of healing the night before the nerf, and it was incredibly easy to heal, if everyone followed the mechanics. I understand the nerf and why it was done, but there are ways around it, and WoG is once again my goto holy power spell.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]