How to maintain mana in Holy Priest.

70 Draenei Priest
All right guys dont go flash heal crazy everytime someone takes 100 damage. Believe it or not that move HEAL that so many call a piece of crap is actually very conservative and effective. All right so what I do is give keep Chakra(A talent point ability you achieve later on) on as often as I can remember (Believe me it has a purpose). And depending on how you activate (Via Heal, Smite, or prayer of healing.) have an effect on how this move will benefit you. these little 10 or 20 sec bonuses help. plus your holy word chastise will completely change what it does(from damage to heal).

And pay attention to the power of the healing spells you use it will heavily influence which spell you should use depending on your situation. Big pulls use you Power Word Shield (pay attention on the rate of absorption and how much it can absorb and time your healing
)on the tank and any lighter armored people taking damage(which may happen on a larger pull) and depending on the rate of the DPS they are taking inflluences which spell you should use.

I know some people will absolutely and stolidly disagee with my method and say flash heal is the only worthy move in the preist's expansive spellbook, but truthfully if you don't agree don't use this method. It may seem intricate or difficult but your teammates relly on your ability to heal and to continue to be able to heal through a larger fight.

Thank You for reading
Appreciate it ...Volos
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
What did I just read?

For Holy, Flash Heal is only viable when health is very, very low. Otherwise, it's heal. Heal.

And Heal.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't know of anyone who is arguing that you should be using Flash Heal for anything but the most desperate situations.

No one is saying that.

As for Power Word: Shield... it's not terribly effective, and rather pricey mana wise. It's really not worth using in any but the more desperate situations, just like Flash heal, and occasionally as a preventative when you know someone is going to be taking heavy damage very soon.

Heal is great. I'm actually finding it more effective to spam the hell out of it even if it's not really necessary - between trinket procs, enchant procs (heartsong, darkglow), Renew and Chakra refresh, the occasional free Flash Heal, and Holy's mastery, over-healing with Heal actually ends up giving me more mana than not casting at all.

Chakra: Heal, Renew on tank, spam Heal on the tank and occasionally DPS, use free Flash heals and Holy Word: Serenity on the DPS as needed and at the end of the pull, I'm at full mana. Granted, that only works out exactly like that on pulls with a smart group that don't take unnecessary damage, but still...

Had a group ask how I managed to keep my mana pool full with so much over-healing - the vast majority of over-healing was from Heal on the tank. It's pretty crazy.
Edited by Karalun on 12/19/2010 5:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Heal is great, but boring. It's one of the few few spells I use now as a holy priest. It's so boring...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
90% cast time(9note not amount healed) is using heal .. it feels like a frickin manual HoT, i swear ..

why are we maintaining a 7k hp/2.3s mana HoT? why not just call it .. Renew 2 .. and get rid of "renew"
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
It's called Healbot for a reason.

1. Spam Heal on the tank
2. DPS need to be topped off? Spam Circle of Healing or Prayer of Healing
3. Tank needs more heals at this point, spam Hea-
4. You're OOM
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/19/2010 5:14 PMPosted by Goldmender
It's called Healbot for a reason.

1. Spam Heal on the tank
2. DPS need to be topped off? Spam Circle of Healing or Prayer of Healing
3. Tank needs more heals at this point, spam Hea-
4. You're OOM

If you're running out of mana like that, you're doing something seriously wrong. Or you're exaggerating to a remarkable extent.

Are you trying to top everyone off to 100%? Don't do that. It's a waste of mana - heal them to a comfortable point depending on the fight and let the HoT from mastery work on them a bit as you go back to the tank.

There's no reason to spam CoH or even PoH to top people off. CoH isn't mana efficient enough to use for "topping off" - it's good for when the entire group is near death and you need a bit of breathing room to cast PoH. PoH is more efficient, but it's still not a spell you want to use to "top" people off. PoM is great to use during AoE in addition to PoH - just gotta make sure enough people are taking damage to justify the cost.

If the AoE is over and it's primarily the tank tanking damage, don't even use PoH, use single target heals (Heal, Serenity, procced Flash Heals, Greater Heal) to further up their health bars between heals on the tank.
Edited by Karalun on 12/19/2010 5:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/19/2010 5:09 PMPosted by Goldmender
Heal is great, but boring. It's one of the few few spells I use now as a holy priest. It's so boring...

It seems like most WOLK-era healers liked casting any spell they liked at any period because they liked hearing the sounds and graphics or something.

And no, Heal is not all you cast in any situation.

DISC:
PoM
PWS every 12 sec
PoH when AOE healing
Penance off cooldown
Smite instead of Heal (if Archangel)
Inner Focus + Flash Heal or Greater Heal

HOLY:
HW: Serenity off cd
HW: Sanctuary off cd (when needed)
PoM
Renew to refresh in Chakra Serenity
Lightwell

This "only cast Heal" myth is old now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]