Healer, Heal Thyself!

81 Blood Elf Priest
Hey,
sorry that this thread isn't about how bad healing is bjorked and how I quit because blizzard suxors.

So,
there I was in a random dungeon, tank lets a mob through, I take some damage, I am down to about 50% health, everyone else in the group is at 100%, I have about 12,000 mana and... I throw a renew on myself. Sure I could have used a bandage, but I had LOTS of mana and the tank was moving fast. Well, the tank has a fit, I mean a TOTAL 12 year old little girl hissy because (he says) healers shouldn't heal themselves. Ok, so I am only level 76, maybe its different at the level cap, I am always willing to learn. So I ask "why not?", the tank just keeps ranting that I am a noob. "so should I just die?" "stop being a noob!"

Anyway, so educate me. Is it "ok" for a healer to heal herself or not? If not, why not, and what SHOULD I have done?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/19/2010 5:28 PMPosted by Ysill
because (he says) healers shouldn't heal themselves.
There's only one logical response to that:

Lol, wut?

Seriously. In a lot of situations, the Healer should even be prioritizing himself over the tank. You just had the misfortune to run with one of the crazies; ignore him.
Edited by Karalun on 12/19/2010 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
healer > tank
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yeah, don't take healing advice from a lowbie tank who can't hold aggro. Ideally, you're #1 or #2 healing priority in a five man, depending on factors such as the tank's ability to recover from "oh #*!%" situations and the presence of a potential off tank/kiting class in the party.

Realistically, I often find myself at dead last priority simply because I have faith in my ability to get out of the fire. While I'm not alone here, that doesn't mean I shouldn't heal myself if I need to. Next time, take your pick of /facepalm, /kick, and /ignore. They're all suitable for your situation.
Reply Quote
This isn't the top of the list of stupid things I've seen people say in PUGs, but it's fairly close.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
The correct response is: "You're right, I shouldn't have had to heal myself."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I have to laugh that you are even asking this question. Seriously, if you don't know that it is okay to heal yourself, over the rants of some kid, then geez, wait until you hit the higher content.

Glad you are enjoying healing, and as for whining about it, it is actually fine until around 84/85, and with guilds (some)/friends it isn't too bad. Running with PUGs is where the crap fest is and if you can avoid it, I STRONGLY recommend it.

Peace.

PS stay away from BGs too until they fix that pile as well.
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Priest
I have to laugh that you are even asking this question. Seriously, if you don't know that it is okay to heal yourself, over the rants of some kid, then geez, wait until you hit the higher content.

Yeah, its hard to disagree with you. But this dood started his butt kicking (of me) the instant I cast the renew on myself. If felt like he had an addon to alert him to my alleged transgression. So that made me think "hey, maybe I am missing something." I mean its POSSIBLE that there is something that I don't know.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The correct response is: "You're right, I shouldn't have had to heal myself."

lol'd
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
In wise words long passed down....

1) If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
2) If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
3) If the DPS die, it's their own damn fault.

Ideally you would not have to heal yourself cause the tank will keep you protected from all but unavoidable damage, but sometimes it happens. If you don't keep yourself alive the party isn't going to be progressing.

That said, if you plan on healing you need to learn up front that LFG is full of idiots.

Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
You could use binding heal, healing you and the tank at the same time, potentially ripping apart the fabric of his mind in an amazing display of awesome! What could he say to that?

Also, at 85 anyway, Binding Heal has greater HPM (healing per mana) efficiency than renew, so there you go! (edit: unless you have all the renew talents and the glyph, then it's slightly worse.)
Edited by Wuf on 12/19/2010 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/19/2010 6:34 PMPosted by Ysill
Yeah, its hard to disagree with you. But this dood started his butt kicking (of me) the instant I cast the renew on myself. If felt like he had an addon to alert him to my alleged transgression. So that made me think "hey, maybe I am missing something." I mean its POSSIBLE that there is something that I don't know.

You know, in that context your original comment isn't so absurd, and I apologize for trivializing it. You thought, this guy is clueless, but on the off chance, let me check with the healing forum.... Can't fault you for that.

Tank was clueless. If you PUG, you will find a lot more of him than any of us want to acknowledge.

Peace!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Wow, I've hear and seen a lot of laughable things in dungeons, but I havent't heard that one yet. I would have had a great time with that tank.

But seriously, depending on what's going on in the run, healing is usually healer>tank>dps. You can't help anyone if you're dead.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
LOL!

Yes, obviously you should heal yourself. You're actually a higher priority than the tank, if you're in any danger of dying anytime soon. Tank's an idiot, doesn't know anything you don't know :)
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Healer > Tank > Good DPS > Hunter pet > Bad DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/19/2010 8:00 PMPosted by Paulise

I like this better lol
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
12/19/2010 8:00 PMPosted by Paulise

You would think so but at the moment most groups are controlled by:

Bad DPS > Bad Healer > Bad Tank > Good Healer > Good DPS > Good Tank

Why is LFD a complete nightmare at the moment? ^

The best healer and tank in the world can't drag 5k DPS 'stand in the fire/how do I not get hit by the cyclone' timmys through vortex pinnacle, that's why your group broke up.
Edited by Ikt on 12/19/2010 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]