Tired of going OOM

85 Tauren Paladin
I am not sure why mana is such a huge problem with me since the release of cata.

I've got the best gear I can get for what I am doing and the amount I play. However, in heroics, I go oom about every pull. Basically, the only time this doesn't happen is when the tank is the only one taking heavy damage.

I'm not a bad healer- I just go out of mana quickly. I've been removed from a group because of it and insulted a few times. It's irritating.

Could someone please take a look at what I've got set up and let me know what I could be doing differently?

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You gear similarly to how im gearing, just a tad lower overall i-lvl. Your gear doesnt seem to be the prob.

I have never 00m on any trash pull in heroics yet, only bosses that go badly.

It probably gets down to what spells you are using. Here is what is working for me.

-Judge at every cd. our primary mana regen
-holy light is you generic heal and most mana efficient. use as much as possible.
-holy sock every cd to keep HP charging.
-WoG at 3 hp if only tank is in need of heal. LoD if multiple targets need it (do you best to hit as many people as possible)
-If a person is at or lower than 50% health i typically hit em with a div. illum.
-if a person drops under 25% i hit with a FoL to give them some safety hp before i can get some more healz on em.
-Remember the beacon gets 50% of each heal. So in terms of OVERALL healing done, it is almost always more efficient to heal someone other than the tank. If the tank is doing ok but needs a top-off, heal someone else and let the beacon give you some bonus healing.
-FoL and DI proc HP if cast on the beacon. If you are 2/3 with shock on cd and want to get a LoD off, using one of these two may be a good idea.
-GOTAK is a long cooldown, but can help in aoe situations. Just note that he doesnt heal off LoD and holy radiance, only single target healz.
-Wings work for healz and can give you more bang if you are facing alot of damage.
-Divine plea kinda sucks as it stands, but if you are faced with 00m, 50% healing penalty is worth it compared to zero healing.
-divine purpose is best for when the tank is taking a beating and you need to be chain casting.
*- divine radiance. Dont care for it at this time. Tons of mana. id only use if EVERYONE needs 25%+ healing and are all stacked within range... otherwise you have better uses for the mana.

If you dont want to read the above, I'll repeat what i feel is most important.

-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.

pretty much this
Edited by Slucky on 12/21/2010 3:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
what's your healing rotation?

why are you using mail bracers?
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I would tend to think its less your gear and more your choice of spells. You can't just spam Divine Light like you could in WotLK. Choose your spells carefully. Use Holy Light and Holy Shock when possible instead of Divine Light and Flash of Light since these use almost 10% of your total mana now. The int/spirit leg enchant instead of int/stam would probably help a little too.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
sit next to tank and crusader strike, though not if the mobs/bosses cleave. i generally bring along a druid to innervate me because groups dislike ccing and prefer to tank and spank making me pop loh and guardian on trash. teh best advice imo is do guild runs, use holy light and holy shock whenever possible and try to crusader strike. also i never use DL unless i have the infusion of light proc and use FoL constantly on squishy tanks (im done running heroics as im sick of finding tanks with 120k hp that are in ICC gear.) Slucky, in regardance to your post about using Divine Radiance, im not sure about that as it dosent do much healing overrall and takes ALOT of mana, ill have to try that though you may be on to something ;D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You gear similarly to how im gearing, just a tad lower overall i-lvl. Your gear doesnt seem to be the prob.

It probably gets down to what spells you are using. Here is what is working for me.

-holy light is you generic heal and most mana efficient. use as much as possible.
-WoG at 3 hp if only tank is in need of heal. LoD if multiple targets need it (do you best to hit as many people as possible)
-If a person is at or lower than 50% health i typically hit em with a div. illum.
-if a person drops under 25% i hit with a FoL to give them some safety hp before i can get some more healz on em.
-Remember the beacon gets 50% of each heal. So in terms of OVERALL healing done, it is almost always more efficient to heal someone other than the tank. If the tank is doing ok but needs a top-off, heal someone else and let the beacon give you some bonus healing.
-FoL and DI proc HP if cast on the beacon. If you are 2/3 with shock on cd and want to get a LoD off, using one of these two may be a good idea.
-GOTAK is a long cooldown, but can help in aoe situations. Just note that he doesnt heal off LoD and holy radiance, only single target healz.
-Wings work for healz and can give you more bang if you are facing alot of damage.
-Divine plea kinda sucks as it stands, but if you are faced with 00m, 50% healing penalty is worth it compared to zero healing.
-divine purpose is best for when the tank is taking a beating and you need to be chain casting.
*- divine radiance. Dont care for it at this time. Tons of mana. id only use if EVERYONE needs 25%+ healing and are all stacked within range... otherwise you have better uses for the mana.

-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
Edited by Pokerr on 12/20/2010 10:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/20/2010 10:18 PMPosted by Pokerr

-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.
-Judge at every cd.

Thanks for this post, it really helped. I never knew Flash of Light was such a mana drain, meaning I wasn't aware that there were better heal options besides the other supportive ones.

I really like my pally, but I have found that priests are easier to play without thinking much about healing rotations and such. I will give the advice you guys gave me a shot. Thanks :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
If you sit next to the tank and Crusader Strike, you will go OOM much faster. The Holy Power generation doesn't make up for the fact that you're wasting 10% of base mana to get it. If you REALLY need the extra HP, try using Hand of Reckoning. Much cheaper, and syncs well with the internal cooldown of Blessed Life.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/20/2010 9:09 PMPosted by Luckylucky
I am not sure why mana is such a huge problem with me since the release of cata.

I've got the best gear I can get for what I am doing and the amount I play. However, in heroics, I go oom about every pull. Basically, the only time this doesn't happen is when the tank is the only one taking heavy damage.

I'm not a bad healer- I just go out of mana quickly. I've been removed from a group because of it and insulted a few times. It's irritating.

Could someone please take a look at what I've got set up and let me know what I could be doing differently?

Enchant a few more peices of your gear. Reforge your Mastery Trinket ( The Blood of Isslet) to spirit it will give you +100 spirit. Get Heartsong for your weapon enchant.

Prep for every fight... get 3 Holy power by pre-shocking party members.
Use hand of sacrifice on the TANK... you'll never notice the damage as you heal yourself by healing others.
Judge every chance you get.
Use Aura Mastery with either Resistance or Devotion to help with certain damage types.

My main spells are Holy Shock, Holy Light and WoG. I use Divine Light if the tanks HP is steady and he needs a big heal. Flash is used for the bigger quick heal if lots are taking damage. Use Radience and LoD where needed and when it is efficent.

UNSPEC FROM BLESSED LIFE... put those 2 points in Crusade. Makes you Shock better and 300% better Holy Lights after a mob dies.. awesome for trash.
The 2 points in Paragon is fine, but I like Improved Judgement better. The range is awesome for keeping you mana up as you move.

Doing all the above stuff should make you experience at healing go a long way.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I noticed you took the Glyph of Light of Dawn, OP. Are you doing any raid healing? If not, then drop that puppy for Cleansing or Divinity - Light of Dawn already affects 5 targets, and there will only be five of you in the dungeon.

As to which one to pick... Glyphed, Cleanse costs 11% of base mana, Holy Light costs 9%of base mana, Flash of Light costs 27% of base mana, and Divine Light costs 30% of base mana. My basic rule of thumb is this: If I think that the damage from a disease, poison, or magic debuff is going to end up costing me more than a Holy Light to heal through, then I will Cleanse it. It's good to get into the habit of Cleansing debuffs anyway, though I understand in some circumstances it's more difficult than in others.

If you just can't find time in your frantic rotation to use Cleanse much, then the Glyph of Divinity is at least a quick mana potion, with the bonus of throwing out your biggest heal (which also just happens to result in your biggest Illuminated Healing shield, which in most situations counts as healing you don't have to do.) Unfortunately, it's a mana pot on a 10 minute cooldown.
Edited by Jantilla on 12/21/2010 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote

why are you using mail bracers?

This.

I be t you that if start wearing all plate you'll find yourself 5% more intelligent than before.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
From a quick glance..
- try to get into all PLATE for the plate spec bonus
- on your major glyphs, drop Beacon and LoD, beacon is a waste with a 5min timer and LoD already heals enough people. Look at Divinity and Cleanse
- you need to respec 2 more talents points into Crusade, you're giving away 20% increased Holy Shock dmg (your primary heal) without 3/3 in it.
- Put Divine Protection somewhere easy to cast and use it, cheap, and tank takes 20% less dmg for 10sec, with a 40sec CD, I use this almost every pull
- I always prep, make sure to always have Blessing of Might on, make sure to eat some food with bonuses to spirit or int (seafood gumbo or something like that)
- avoid FoL like its the frickin plague. I use it maybe 1-2 times a heroic. only if a dps is about to drop.
- Judge, Judge, Judge.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It'll get easier when your iLvl goes up about 5-7 points. Just keep at it, use cooldowns every fight, and holy shock every time its up so you can WoL for free.

Like the above person said, get Improved Judgement & Crusade if you can and drop Blessed Life.

Keep mana pots on you.

You aren't the only one with mana issues, but it gets easier to manage as you practice and get better gear.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You should never use hand of reckoning as a healer in PVE except in the most extreme and gimmicky situations.
Reply Quote
12/21/2010 12:18 PMPosted by Mandarb
You should never use hand of reckoning as a healer in PVE except in the most extreme and gimmicky situations.

You can get away with it in normal/low level dungeons. Holy paladins can take quite a beating at those levels, much more than a clothie.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/21/2010 12:16 PMPosted by Rebery
From a quick glance..
- try to get into all PLATE for the plate spec bonus
- on your major glyphs, drop Beacon and LoD, beacon is a waste with a 5min timer and LoD already heals enough people. Look at Divinity and Cleanse
- you need to respec 2 more talents points into Crusade, you're giving away 20% increased Holy Shock dmg (your primary heal) without 3/3 in it.
- Put Divine Protection somewhere easy to cast and use it, cheap, and tank takes 20% less dmg for 10sec, with a 40sec CD, I use this almost every pull
- I always prep, make sure to always have Blessing of Might on, make sure to eat some food with bonuses to spirit or int (seafood gumbo or something like that)
- avoid FoL like its the frickin plague. I use it maybe 1-2 times a heroic. only if a dps is about to drop.
- Judge, Judge, Judge.

There's a couple things I have issues with here.

1) Beacon is a fine glyph. Yes, it's rather pointless if all you do is put your Beacon on the tank and forget about it for five minutes. And, that's as useful a playstyle as it used to be (and much cheaper.) However, with the MASSIVE drop in Beacon's cost, it's just as viable to toss it around the group where healing is needed - which is not always the tank. If you do this, you're not doing anything wrong, and if you don't do it, you're not doing anything wrong. When speaking of major glyphs, it's best to let your playstyle inform your glyph choice (if you never use Lay on Hands, like me, then LoH and Divinity are wasted.)

2) Divine Protection only affects yourself. I have it on my bar, I do use it, and it can be combined with Hand of Sacrifice to reduce tank damage while mitigating some of it yourself. However, you can't cast it on anyone else.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/21/2010 12:18 PMPosted by Mandarb

The game is full of gimmicks and opportunities to use them. I'm not saying to use it on cooldown, but with all the self-healing we do anyway, it's fairly rare that we can't survive three seconds of undivided attention.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
2) Divine Protection only affects yourself. I have it on my bar, I do use it, and it can be combined with Hand of Sacrifice to reduce tank damage while mitigating some of it yourself. However, you can't cast it on anyone else.

Lol, really? Ha.

Checked, I am wrong. Guess we are never as Pro as we think we are :)

- As for Beacon, I get what you are saying, but it would seem odd for anyone to be taking enough damage for me to move it off of the tank. I agree Playstyle comes into account, as it should.
Reply Quote

Does is still trigger the 2 Minute CD that's also triggered by your Bubble, or Hand of Protection?

Pre-Cat wasn't this the ability that was pretty much the Bubble before you got the Good Version of the Bubble?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/21/2010 12:38 PMPosted by Domo

Does is still trigger the 2 Minute CD that's also triggered by your Bubble, or Hand of Protection?

Pre-Cat wasn't this the ability that was pretty much the Bubble before you got the Good Version of the Bubble?

Pre-Cata, yes it was.

It no longer triggers Forbearance, has a lower cooldown, but only reduces damage by 20%. It can be glyphed to affect Magic damage rather than Physical. If you'd like, you can use Divine Shield and Divine Protection together, and watch 20% of that damage you aren't taking be mitigated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]