The Size of Azeroth (In-game)

85 Night Elf Druid
***Edit: I added a few things to the bottom of the post in response to some questions. :)

So while me and my wife were driving home tonight, we were talking about World of Warcraft. Through various tangents, we arrived at the question of: "Exactly how big is Azeroth?"

Well, we set off to measure it.

We started out in Westfall at a specific tree and used a 40yard range spell to measure the distance from me (at the tree) to her. Then I moved 40 yards beyond her in a straight line from the tree. We reached a benchmark of 200 yards from the tree. I returned to the tree, mounted, and flew towards her in a straight line which took exactly 8 seconds. So, while flying I move at 200yards/8sec = 25 yards per sec.

For those of you curious, I fly a 280% speed mount. As a side note, using this data we determined 280% flying mounts move at approx 51.13 miles per hour. (25yards = 75 feet. 75 x 60sec = 4500 feet per minute. 4500 x 60 min = 270,000 feet per hour. 270,00 / 5280 = 51.13 miles per hour.)

So, taking this another step further, I again mounted up at the Westfall tree and rose straight into the air. I flew off in a level straight line for 76 seconds. 76 sec x 75 ft/s = 5700 feet flown in 76 seconds. 5700 ft = 1.079 miles = 1.738 kilometers.

I then measured this distance out (from the tree to my stopping point) with the fullscreen map of the Eastern Kingdoms. It was 1.8 cm.

To determine the scale, I did:
1.738km = 1.8cm

1.738/9 = .19311 kilometers

.19311 x 5 = .965 Kilometers or, 965 meters.

1 cm = 965 meters. Approx.

Then I measured out the distance from Booty Bay to the northern tip of Eversong Woods on the same map and determined it to be 20 cm exactly. So, Eastern Kingdoms at it's longest is 965 meters x 20 = ~19.31 kilometers. (Or 11.9994 miles)

Taking that measurement with me to the Halls of Lightning, I checked out the holographic globe of Azeroth (just prior to the area with Loken). According to that globe, which I assumed to be "real time" (Titan technology), Eastern Kingdoms (at it's longest) could circle the globe just about 2.5 - 3 times along the equator. While only an estimation, holding Titan technology to be fairly accurate, I would venture to say the World of Azeroth is roughly 50-60 kilometers in diameter. Approx.

**********Edits:
--Size of Kalimdor:
"Ok, Kalimdor clocks in at 19.8cm from the northern tip of Winterspring to the southern end of Uldum. Roughly 19.107 km. Or, measuring from Teldrassil (again, northern tip) to Uldum: 21.8 cm. Roughly 21.037 km."

---Map Scale Determination:
"Just to clarify, I broke down my original measurement of 1.8cm into 1/5th of a cm then multiplied it by 5 to give me the number of meters in 1 cm. This part seemed to throw some people." :(

"I used the current map as of 4.0.3a. Assuming there are no longer any areas we cannot access since flight was introduced (excluding instances. Instances change size once you enter them), everything should now have the same scale regardless of whether you're flying through a city or not (For example, Westfall could not be twice as large as it is now without also doubling its' representation on the map. 1cm in Westfall cannot equal any number other than ~965 meters). If I was able to ascertain a scale anywhere on the world map, all other areas should have an identical scale."

--For the "scale world" people:
"Another thing to mention: If Azeroth were on scale in size to the size of Earth. It would take roughly 487.02 hours to circle it once on a 280% speed mount (51.13 miles per hour). Or 20.29 days."
Edited by Javid on 12/17/2010 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I'm impressed, but dang. Got alot of spare time on your hands? Or do you and the missus always do these kinds of things for fun?
Reply Quote
42 Troll Mage
I love you and this small world of ours
Reply Quote
80 Human Death Knight
The game world as presented isn't to scale with the actual world of Azeroth. After all, Goldshire village doesn't consist of a dozen people. Everything is shrunk down for the purposes of play.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
12/16/2010 8:00 PMPosted by Javid

To determine the scale, I did:
1.738km = 1.8cm

1.738/9 = .19311 kilometers

.19311 x 5 = .965 Kilometers or, 965 meters.

1 cm = 965 meters. Approx.

Head exploded around here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It's a small world after all.
Reply Quote
Azeroth better be made of some dense stuff to have earth-like gravity on its surface.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I was wondering about that myself.
Reply Quote
30 Worgen Warrior
My mind just melted
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Game scale is just small. 1/1000 on average is the scale.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Yea, like tohers have said, the game is scaled WAY down for convenience, it wouldnt be fun spending 30 days /played going from 1-60 because of how god dman big the world is.

I eman SW alone is suppsoed to have thousands of people, but you can only enter like, 2 houses.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
12/16/2010 8:06 PMPosted by Lunius
Azeroth better be made of some dense stuff to have earth-like gravity on its surface.

It's made of the brains of WoW's players. Dense enough?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I understand why it's scaled down. I just felt like measuring out for the fun of it.

Just kind of amusing that Eastern Kingdoms is only 12 miles long. And it has all that content in it! :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
12/16/2010 8:06 PMPosted by Lunius

This is a joke right? A warrior in full plate can jump over a cow. A COW!!!

Also falling from a cliff only to land and still be alive, eat some food and do it again?

No no we must be on some moon or something. This @@!@ ant right
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
While this is all a microcosm of sorts, an approximation of the actual world, it's a beautiful and cozy way to see it all. Imagine if we had a national park this size to come and live role play in,... hehehe. I love this game.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Another thing to mention: If Azeroth were on scale in size to the size of Earth. It would take roughly 487.02 hours to circle it once on a 280% speed mount (51.13 miles per hour).

Or 20.29 days.

I'll keep my small world.
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Priest
Brain explosion
Reply Quote
60 Goblin Warrior
12/16/2010 8:16 PMPosted by Argonisia

It's made of the brains of WoW's players. Dense enough?

So it's made up of mostly imaginary objects?

i lol'd

But this impressed me a lot.
I'd always wanted to do this but now i don't have to :D!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]