Why Wotlk>Cataclysm

90 Tauren Druid
it seems in cata there is 0 room for error if a dps mess up once he's dead plain and simple which really isnt right it should be room for a error if a dps mess up he gets another chance not oops wow im dead cuz the healer ha d to prioritize his heals and not be able to toss a quick heal out to the dps who stood in one spot for a second too long or half thegroup at like 60-70% for a boss fight and if one aoe spell go off = wipe we need more room for error and you will have less QQers its not hard at all to heal its just very frigging annoying
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
12/17/2010 2:19 AMPosted by Robnwilliams
You enjoy monotony and routine? Can you honestly tell me you don't do the exact same thing for every boss fight? Oh look it's AOE, I better use CoH to handle it. Oh look the boss is hitting hard, better start spamming my heal button. Oh look the boss puts out a debuff, better cleanse it. Everyone has the same answer to any given problem. That is not fun.

No, I don't. I really really hate it, in fact. That tells me that the healing I'm doing now is not monotonous and routine.

As for the gripe about all healers having the same abilities now, well that writing's been on the wall for years. It's unfortunate, but when everyone needs to complain about how someone can do something they can't and Blizzard wants to give the kiddies their candy, it's gonna happen.
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
12/17/2010 2:20 AMPosted by Killaelmoo
it seems in cata there is 0 room for error if a dps mess up once he's dead plain and simple which really isnt right it should be room for a error if a dps mess up he gets another chance not oops wow im dead cuz the healer ha d to prioritize his heals and not be able to toss a quick heal out to the dps who stood in one spot for a second too long or half thegroup at like 60-70% for a boss fight and if one aoe spell go off = wipe we need more room for error and you will have less QQers its not hard at all to heal its just very frigging annoying

It sounds very difficult for you if you have to let DPS die for making one mistake in an entire encounter.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
12/17/2010 2:23 AMPosted by Nidosa

It sounds very difficult for you if you have to let DPS die for making one mistake in an entire encounter.

it seems to me you know a lot about healers and healing well lets see your awesome healer and show your real char instead of hiding behind that crappy dk making claims its fine not boring and retarded and show your healer...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Nah, I stepped into Wrath Heroics and immediately started facerolling. Chain pulling, AoE tanking, no CC, very little regard for positioning, you name it. The only things that people ever mentioned "watch out for" was killing the one poison shooting mob in AN, Shadow Crash in OK, and not getting turned into pudding by the various bosses with Pound, Smash, or some other identical mechanic.

Moments in Wrath Heroics that were hard to heal? Well, Skadi could give you trouble. Zuramat in VH was a bit of a bum card to get for a while. Not the kind of thing that made you really re-evaluate what you were doing, just a "man, that sucks." I guess. Lightning Struck, Volunteer Work, Share the Love, Watch him Die, Zombiefest, and Abuse the Ooze got a bit dicy healing, but Watch him Die was the only one we really needed to work at (more than one wipe.)

Wait, crap, most of those aren't bosses, they're achievements! That's right, only two bosses were actually challenging to heal, the rest were only "hard" when you tried to do it with one arm behind your back, and even then only a very few are considered actually difficult.

Wrath Heroics weren't Heroic. They weren't an extension, an upper version, of the level 80 dungeons, they were the level 80 dungeons. I'm not even sure if I've ever killed Ymiron on normal. I know I killed Skadi on normal... at 74 when a bunch of us were bored with how easy OK turned out to be and decided to tackle some of the "harder" instances. So we went and blew through DTK without sweating, thought about stepping up to Gun'drak, then said "screw it, let's go for all the potatoes" and went to UP.

Wait, no, checked my stats, I've killed Ymiron twice, I think it was earlier this year when we were pushing a friend's alt to 80. It's Occulis, Stratholm, and Halls of Stone that I have never done on Normal. Out of 12 instances in Wrath 25% of them I have never done on Normal mode, and all of those are in the latter half of leveling, presumably dropping pre-Heroic and/or pre-raid gear.

Where was the actual pre-raid gear? Naxx 10. Wait, sorry, I meant Naxx 25! Wait... why does that sound messed up...?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/17/2010 2:29 AMPosted by Robnwilliams
They might as well rename our spells to AOE Heal, generic tank heal, manly tank heal.

i agree with this its whats blizzard is trying to do idk who thought this was a good idea but they should be fired
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
12/17/2010 2:29 AMPosted by ßeôwulf
it seems to me you know a lot about healers and healing well lets see your awesome healer and show your real char instead of hiding behind that crappy dk making claims its fine not boring and retarded and show your healer...

Because, once again, I must be lying to have had the experiences that I have actually had.

I don't post on my main for several reasons. The primary one being that my anecdotes are in fact real and I don't want people to recognize themselves in them. Another is that I hate armory trolls. With a passion. Generally when it devolves to such things, you're talking to a lump of mud anyway. Finally, I just don't think that the validity of logical thought depends on one's abilitiy to prove what one specific character of theirs has done in a video game. If people want to assume the things I'm saying are completely made up, then it's their loss. But then, they want to say in the dark anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/17/2010 2:34 AMPosted by Krystle
Nah, I stepped into Wrath Heroics and immediately started facerolling. Chain pulling, AoE tanking, no CC, very little regard for positioning, you name it. The only things that people ever mentioned "watch out for" was killing the one poison shooting mob in AN, Shadow Crash in OK, and not getting turned into pudding by the various bosses with Pound, Smash, or some other identical mechanic.

Moments in Wrath Heroics that were hard to heal? Well, Skadi could give you trouble. Zuramat in VH was a bit of a bum card to get for a while. Not the kind of thing that made you really re-evaluate what you were doing, just a "man, that sucks." I guess. Lightning Struck, Volunteer Work, Share the Love, Watch him Die, Zombiefest, and Abuse the Ooze got a bit dicy healing, but Watch him Die was the only one we really needed to work at (more than one wipe.)

Wait, crap, most of those aren't bosses, they're achievements! That's right, only two bosses were actually challenging to heal, the rest were only "hard" when you tried to do it with one arm behind your back, and even then only a very few are considered actually difficult.

Wrath Heroics weren't Heroic. They weren't an extension, an upper version, of the level 80 dungeons, they were the level 80 dungeons. I'm not even sure if I've ever killed Ymiron on normal. I know I killed Skadi on normal... at 74 when a bunch of us were bored with how easy OK turned out to be and decided to tackle some of the "harder" instances. So we went and blew through DTK without sweating, thought about stepping up to Gun'drak, then said "screw it, let's go for all the potatoes" and went to UP.

Wait, no, checked my stats, I've killed Ymiron twice, I think it was earlier this year when we were pushing a friend's alt to 80. It's Occulis, Stratholm, and Halls of Stone that I have never done on Normal. Out of 12 instances in Wrath 25% of them I have never done on Normal mode, and all of those are in the latter half of leveling, presumably dropping pre-Heroic and/or pre-raid gear.

Where was the actual pre-raid gear? Naxx 10. Wait, sorry, I meant Naxx 25! Wait... why does that sound messed up...?

so youre saying the day wotlk came out you facerolled the heroics? u walk in chain just healed it blindfolded idk when u started but when i played wotlk for the first time the dungeons were actually hard there wasnt any 10 min run see people like you are talking about when wratrh became a jke when everything wa sgiven to us to let everyone see lich king which helped everyone see the end game content. and if it was so easy why didnt everyone have heroic lk downed? even with 30% buff so before you say wrath was easy think about before the lfd tool(and where is your heroic lk kill since wrath was so easy?)
Edited by Killaelmoo on 12/17/2010 2:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/17/2010 2:29 AMPosted by Robnwilliams

That's not what I meant. Allow me to clarify. The simplest mechanics of PVE are: bad spots that instakill, bad spots to move out of, generic aoe damage, heavy aoe damage, generic tank damage, heavy tank damage.

As a resto druid...
Bad spots that instakill: obviously cannot heal
Bad spots to move out of: let wild growth take care of it, regrowth when I get clearcasting
Generic aoe damage: let wild growth take care of it
Heavy aoe damage: Tranquility or treeform lifebloom spam, whichever isn't on CD
Generic tank damage: lifebloom, insert nourish if your gear blows
Heavy tank damage: lifebloom + rejuv, swiftmend as needed

I have no options. If this happens, then do that. AKA, routine. Simplicity. Every fight is exactly the same. Maybe it's just a resto druid thing, but I highly doubt that. Toolboxes were a lot more versatile in WOTLK, and it's sad to see all your spells lose so much potential and being brought into routine. They might as well rename our spells to AOE Heal, generic tank heal, manly tank heal.
No, toolboxes in Wrath weren't more versatile. They were less important. All the spells were basically the same, it either saved one person's life or more than one person's life. That's about it. There was so right answer spell half the time, there was just using a spell on the right person. Going through an instance only using Regrowth? Whatever. It's just cosmetic. You can use Healing Touch exclusively if you want, it doesn't matter.

As a Resto Druid in wrath...
person who is dead: don't heal
person who needs healing: heal them
person who doesn't need healing: heal them ('cus, you know, maybe they'll need it in a second)

The distinctions you've listed above, different paces and sources, is already more diversity than Wrath provided in the vast majority of encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/17/2010 2:44 AMPosted by Robnwilliams

So, Qing with a group of organized players who you know know what they're doing is somehow equivalent to pugs? If you're going into a dungeon with 4 other intelligent players there should be no errors and only fight mechanics. At that point, everyone playing perfectly is supposed to be the challenge of it. There were a few fights that even with a group of organized players were rather challenging - the shadow orb boss in violet hold comes to mind. Doing this with a pug was anything but possible. I vividly recall many violet hold heroic dailies stopped in their tracks. Also, let's not forget wrath heroics were each scaled to a different difficulty. Halls of Lightning comes to mind.

oh and lets not forget halls of reflection getting a pug to complete that was night mare when it came out and few weeks after that
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
12/17/2010 2:44 AMPosted by Robnwilliams
So, Qing with a group of organized players who you know know what they're doing is somehow equivalent to pugs?

Why should they be? PuGing was never particularly frequent before WotLK. It only became an option because skill WAS NOT A FACTOR in large part.

Apparently Blizzard did not feel that the "lowest common denominator" model was working for them. It sure wasn't working for me, and I hope they don't decide to return to it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]