Leveling 80-85 as Holy?

I've been really enjoying my Holy Paladin, getting wrecking ball in bgs and being generally unstoppable.

I'm in my 70s now and I can top dps charts just excorcism/HS spamming in dungeons, is this going to be viable for me questing in cata?

Or would it be faster for me to dual spec into Ret/Prot and quest that way?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
More then Viable. I've been steamrolling quests as Holy. I call it "The Facemelter" spec.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i lvled as holy, it was fine up until twilight highlands. where all the mobs went up alot of hp and it took 1minute just to kill 1 mob. ended up duoing it from then on
Reply Quote
Cool, I'll give it a shot then. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Honestly, I'd get a Prot leveling spec. Nothing fun about spamming Exo when you can't drop the mob after a few casts. Prot offers great damage, great survivability, and some fun mechanics. I promise you will get tired of HS + Exo + Exo on enemies with 100k HP.
Reply Quote
12/17/2010 11:12 AMPosted by Shlomo
Honestly, I'd get a Prot leveling spec. Nothing fun about spamming Exo when you can't drop the mob after a few casts. Prot offers great damage, great survivability, and some fun mechanics. I promise you will get tired of HS + Exo + Exo on enemies with 100k HP.

Oh, so Holy takes a while to kill things?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I leveled as Holy from 80-82 and a half, with full BiS 277 gear. I got fed up and switch to Prot because half-way through Vash'jir I was OOMing myself just to kill one mob. It takes forever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Oh, so Holy takes a while to kill things?

About ten Exorcisms or so per mob, interspersed with Holy Shock. Popping Avenging Wrath and Divine Favor on a regular basis speeds it up a bit, and if you have Crusade you can use your HPs for Inquisition instead of Word of Glory.

You have to spec for Exorcism, though, or you'll run out of mana every two mobs. With the proper spec, you never have to stop and drink.

EDIT: And yes, when you're fighting major quest bosses with 100k+ health, it takes a bit longer.
Edited by Seiva on 12/17/2010 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Go dual spec unless you want to nerf your healing abilities for a quasi ret/holy spec. Shockadin IS back after all!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/17/2010 11:54 AMPosted by Impetusin
Go dual spec unless you want to nerf your healing abilities for a quasi ret/holy spec. Shockadin IS back after all!

This is the paladin I'm talking about, should I refer to one of the Shockadin guides in this section, or am I on the right track?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Bump
Reply Quote
12/17/2010 11:39 AMPosted by Eldanesh
I leveled as Holy from 80-82 and a half, with full BiS 277 gear. I got fed up and switch to Prot because half-way through Vash'jir I was OOMing myself just to kill one mob. It takes forever.

What were you doing? I'd take on large groups and still have plenty of mana. I didn't even get rid of the spec until yesterday.

No wait, I know. You skipped Denounce, a talent that you can't skip for a holy leveling spec because, well, you know, you go oom.

Shockadin is definitely viable for leveling. I wouldn't queue for a dungeon with it, but when soloing content, it works fine. Rotation is boring, guys take longer to die (about 3x longer), but it's how I leveled up 80-85.
Edited by Janaire on 12/18/2010 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
It's been fine so far. I even easily killed a few lvl 83 mobs at 79 while messing around, mapping the areas for XP to 80.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
holy dps is fine for questing and what not. its really great with spirit =ing hit rating so you don't miss hell my exo has like a 75% crit rating. at the end of wrath i had 100% crit with it and was out dpsing some people in heroics on single targets that is.
Edited by Stinkyshoses on 12/18/2010 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I found prot much easier and more enjoyable.

With prot you can take on 5+ mobs at a time and actually KILL THEM.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]