Why punish healers for DPS standing in _____?

Here's a crazy idea:

Wouldn't it be a nice change if we could take some of the fire, goo, blue stuff, red stuff...etc and rather than having it almost always be damage maybe make some of it an re-applying debuff to Str/Agi/Int/Spirit while standing in the fire.

I think that if you hit them where it hurts (the meters) it will:
a) Be more visible as to who's being bad.
b) Share around the responsibility rather than having the healer shoulder most of it.
c) Make my mana pool happier.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
It sounds like training wheels on a kids first bike. I like it... but..it reminds me of training wheels ( for the dps).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Then what would I do with all the free time I would have?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
I kind of thought this is why priests got "Life Grip"
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I like it...reduce dps for standing in fire..that'll get them moving.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/17/2010 3:44 PMPosted by Snowfox

if it were an instant cooldown.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
12/17/2010 3:40 PMPosted by Thurgan

Depends on how long you can last with just keeping the tank up. If you have to spend another 2 minutes on the fight due to dps debuffs, can you last that long?

That's a possible mana pot/trinket/cooldown addition, so most likely, but you have to take it into consideration.

And also, this is a decent idea, but what if the tank gets hit with it? Because their dps plays a good portion in their aggro holding.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

if it were an instant cooldown.

I've been pondering making it a macro something along the lines of:

%t had their butt saved from a suicidal death!
/cast Leap of Faith

Just as a sort of "reminder" plus a little shaming.
Edited by Snowfox on 12/17/2010 3:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
You aren't being punished. If they die, it isn't a healer fail -- it is THEIR fail. We aren't the only ones responsible for keeping the group alive and successful anymore. When they fail to CC or interrupt or move out of avoidable damage, that is on them.

We pay for their mistakes now. Just like they have paid for ours. It is a greater measure of responsibility for every member of a group now, thats all. Not a punishment.
Reply Quote
83 Goblin Shaman
Don't heal them, let them die, rez them...

It's the only way to "teach" them. If someone is standing in crap for a couple of seconds, assume it was an honest brain fart and heal them up. If someone is standing in crap every other pull and expecting you to just heal through it like you would have in WoTLK - don't heal, or keep them at a very low percent and tell them to eat up after the pull.

I know it sucks, I know it slows things down; however, you cannot keep taking responsibility for their actions and then complaining when they do not play well. Make them responsible; by blowing your mana bar to keep them alive when they play poorly you are shifting the blame to yourself when you go oom and someone dies (or the group progresses slowly as you sit drinking every pull).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
no, its true...people get pissed off when they die for any reason....since its the healers job to put the red stuff in your bar, we are automatically blamed when that bar goes empty.

No matter if they stood in this or didnt move from that, they have and will always blame the healer when they're dead.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/17/2010 3:40 PMPosted by Thurgan
Here's a crazy idea:

Wouldn't it be a nice change if we could take some of the fire, goo, blue stuff, red stuff...etc and rather than having it almost always be damage maybe make some of it an re-applying debuff to Str/Agi/Int/Spirit while standing in the fire.

I think that if you hit them where it hurts (the meters) it will:
a) Be more visible as to who's being bad.
b) Share around the responsibility rather than having the healer shoulder most of it.

Thoughts?

I would love that. It would make pugging a hell of allot better, instead of the ignorant dps blaming me for their death and then pointing the finger at me "omg this healer sucks I died" it would be "hmm... when I'm not in this I do bigger numborz! (light-bulb)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Here's a crazy idea:

Thoughts?

I think standing in something like that will apply the ultimate debuff to Str/Agi/Int/Spirit, namely DEATH...
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I like the idea on lifegrip coz lord knows I fudge it sometimes, what is really awesome, and this happens more often than I care to admit, is when I forget to switch from the tank when I cast lifegrip, I may or may not have been directly responsible for wipes based on tank positioning due to this >.>
Reply Quote
Just be be clear this wouldn't replace ALL fire / green stuff etc. Just want to shift some of the blame off the healer.

As for the tanks it could also be used to make threat matter again! (win-win). They are usually good at moving out of the fire anyway I find. :)
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
I would prefer that easily-avoidable damage just 1-shot DPS.

Oh you made a mistake? Its your repair bill.

Being dead is one hell of a DPS debuff.

The fact that DPSers don't die right away gives them the idea that the healer should have kept them up.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
12/17/2010 4:08 PMPosted by Dreddnought

I don't know who you run with, Snowfox, but the idiots that we sometimes find in the LFG queue won't ever learn and are more likely to ninja-pull and drop group than take the criticism because (and I swear this happened, I just wish I'd screenshotted it) I've heard a DPS say to a Resto Druid "ur DPS suxx u need 2 step up @#*@%."

There are far too many Floor Tasters using the LFG Tool, sadly, and none of them will ever read this.

I run both pugs and this guild I sort of fell into.

Maybe I've just been playing too long or pugged too much... but I've always sort of known groups to do that, even back in classic and throughout all the expansions.

I think players got used to being able to just power through such things in wotlk though, and that's the real issue here. Where once upon a time two ticks would have been death, it became four ticks, and we could save them handily... then all that got reset to where groups needed to cc, needed to have situational awareness... but those skills had atrophied.

So now healers are having to deal with that again, but it isn't the first time we've had to. I've always considered dps suicidal. What was once people stand in green gas in scholo is now void zones in cata.

What should Blizzard really do about that though? Nerf everything to an extreme... or give time for player skill or player gearing to catch up? I tend to think time, but some people seem to want to faceroll heroics in pugs this very minute.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]