Why punish healers for DPS standing in _____?

85 Undead Priest
12/17/2010 3:48 PMPosted by Snowfox

if it were an instant cooldown.

I've been pondering making it a macro something along the lines of:

%t had their butt saved from a suicidal death!
/cast Leap of Faith

Just as a sort of "reminder" plus a little shaming.

Yes, yes I like this. So many new text macros! Lightwell, Leap of Faith, Don't stand in !##! save my mana... so many possibilities! :P
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
12/17/2010 4:56 PMPosted by Seditia

Yes, yes I like this. So many new text macros! Lightwell, Leap of Faith, Don't stand in !##! save my mana... so many possibilities! :P

Well, be careful if you do that. The truth is nobody really likes chat spam.

In practice I'll probably just stick to life gripping them out of danger zones and not do the chat portion... but who knows... I might keep that macro around for particularly suicidal dps.
Reply Quote
12/17/2010 3:40 PMPosted by Thurgan
Wouldn't it be a nice change if we could take some of the fire, goo, blue stuff, red stuff...etc and rather than having it almost always be damage maybe make some of it an re-applying debuff to Str/Agi/Int/Spirit while standing in the fire.

I like it blizzard would never do it cause then they would have dps in here crying but i like it.
Let the dps shoulder some responsibility without making the healer feel like he's done a bad job when someone dies.
Cut them where it hurts Recount
Reply Quote
12/17/2010 3:58 PMPosted by Tinkertots
Don't heal them, let them die, rez them...

I do everything but the last part, am i mean by making them walk back in shame for standing in crap? didn't think so.
Edited by Bahska on 12/17/2010 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
83 Dwarf Rogue
I honestly want to strangle DPS who stand in the bad stuff and then blame the healer for not keeping them alive.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
12/17/2010 5:07 PMPosted by Snowfox

Well, be careful if you do that. The truth is nobody really likes chat spam.

In practice I'll probably just stick to life gripping them out of danger zones and not do the chat portion... but who knows... I might keep that macro around for particularly suicidal dps.

Yeah I just posted that because of all the posts ive read in diff threads about people wanting to create chat macros. i currently use none myself. i just do it all verbally over vent :P im not crazy enough to pug haha.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'm pretty sure recount can tell you exactly how people die (even has a nice time log of their health pool). Simply look at the log and call people out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
if they stand in fire i have macro say youre in fire get or no heals some listen other call me all types of name but those are the ones who get no heals and run back everytime whilst everyone else is fully healed and rezzed thats why i became a healers so i can be a ass if thats anything i like about cata its that i have a bigger reason to ba ass to people
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I was under the impression that a dead DPS does no DPS, which hurts them on the meters.

Also, I've found that DPS get remarkably good at getting out of the fire when their HP gets low. And if they aren't, well, dying several times will be a good lesson to them. I'm not panic-healing a DPS that won't learn. On the other hand, I WILL heal a DPS that, even if they're a bit slow, gets out of the fire before they die.

Being a shaman helps of course since I heal for significantly more if they're hurt badly.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
They've already done that in some places - The Prime Guards right before his Bug-ness in HAN had a Drain power buff.

Now if they turned a void zone into a combination of Drain Power and Corla's "X stacks then bad happens", that'd be huge incentive - You're doing less & less damage with a debuff that your healer can't dispel, and then if you just sit there and let it stack up to X, you simply die instantly. No drain on the healer's resources, just on the player being dumb.

If you want it to be an interesting mechanic, you can make the stacking buff also reduce damage AND healing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
This is basically what the fungal boss in Old Kingdom does. There should be a few more of those.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
They have these it doesn't solve the problem. Assuming we are talking about someone stupid enough to stand in fire that will actively KILL him, this is how this pans out:

DPS does not realize he is doing crap dps because he has no damage taken and happily does 1k dps while standing in the goo. Fight takes 4x as long. Healer OOM anyways after a much longer fight so is even more annoyed. Tank dies to OOM.

I prefer people just dying. At least they get the negative feedback. The recount jockeys aren't the ones standing in fire most of the time, especially now.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
12/17/2010 3:58 PMPosted by Tinkertots

It's the only way to "teach" them. If someone is standing in crap for a couple of seconds, assume it was an honest brain fart and heal them up. If someone is standing in crap every other pull and expecting you to just heal through it like you would have in WoTLK - don't heal, or keep them at a very low percent and tell them to eat up after the pull.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/17/2010 10:56 PMPosted by Laur

It's the only way to "teach" them. If someone is standing in crap for a couple of seconds, assume it was an honest brain fart and heal them up. If someone is standing in crap every other pull and expecting you to just heal through it like you would have in WoTLK - don't heal, or keep them at a very low percent and tell them to eat up after the pull.

if they stand in poison repeatedly i let them die and they ask for a rez i say i dont have that spell
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My advice to all healers is a macro that /yells warning your team members to not stand in AoE damage, then wait 5 seconds and if they are still taking damage you let'em die. It's only in WoW you dont live and learn.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]