@Cataclysm Healing - What isn’t fun for me

85 Blood Elf Priest
Let’s get the disclaimer stuff out of the way. This is just my perspective. It is not any more or less valid than any other shared in this thread or any other. If you are going to post in this thread, please keep the posts to sharing your perspective and not debating the merits of someone else’s.

The designers were clear in their intent. They wanted two primary changes from Wrath 1) make mana matter and 2) make healers diversify spell choice. The objective of both changes was ostensibly to make healing more fun.

For me, healing is definitely not more fun. I spend the majority of the casting seconds in any encounter casting the least dynamic spell in the game Heal - it’s a long cast time and hits with the same punch as my granny. Instead of spamming PwS, I am now spamming Heal. Is there not a way to have a model where we don’t spam any button? I would love to use all my tools roughly the same amount of time - save for those with CDs for obvious balance reasons.

I don’t think that is what really bothers me about the new healing model though. I think what really bothers me is that a healer is actually encouraged to heal as little as possible. Because mana is the most important concern for any healer; the best healer is the one that conserves that resource as much as possible. I can’t imagine why one would want to play a DPS class if your primary goal was to use a finite damage pool as efficiently as possible. What makes every other role fun is knowing how to use your tools, on what target, at what time, as quickly as possible. That is where I wish healing was. IMO, it is not.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
mp5 is a really big gripe for me.

a second gripe is that my spells are too weak to do anything to people..

as they get more stamina my spells stay the same

a small increase of spellpower with intellect is like pissing in the wind
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
The Jury is out for me.

I spent awhile lurking the forums, watching as others reached 85 on their healers, ran the dungeons, and came back with their reviews. The reviews decided me on running my shadow offspec, and that's what I've done.

Untill last night, when the guildie healer (holypal) wanted to gear up his mage, and I got picked to heal. (long story short, ran to the AH and bought a few pieces of spirit gear, knew i couldn't do it in my dps crap). We ran Stone and...I dunno, I was in half healer and half dps gear, and yes we wiped more than once (Both because I failed on the heals and because cc got screwed)....I never oomed, surprisingly, but...There really was no option beyond chakra heal and renew, with GH used liberally, and letting my hubbies squishy dps dk die to keep everybody else up....

I dont mind prioritizing heals, conserving my mana, nor the difficulty (which maybe should be bumped cause I really shouldn't have been able to keep up healwise when my gear was so screwed. The Wipes from my fail heals was because i just flat out missed the heal, wrong target, and was plain and simple tard actions that the next try were avoided and we pulled through. But...I guess, I dont like having what essentially feels like a rotation. Renew, Chakra: Heal, GH, Guardian Spirit (for the landsliding health of a dps but "I have to watch the tank for 10 more seconds" moments.) were all that was used....I expected that there would be more use for all my holy toolbox, and instead everytime i tried using one of my other tools, we'd wipe, or I'd have to scramble to get people back up...

As I said, my Jury is still out, I aint geared for heals right now, I've only done it once last night in a regular dungeon, and I'm a lowly 81.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I'm enjoying it so far in heroics, except for the automatic "Blame the healer" mode that players default to when they stand in fire or fail to interrupt.

I'd like to have 1 more low-mid cooldown healing toy to weave in, maybe just make Unleash Life worth a damn. That would make the healing a bit less monotonous, because my healing goes something like this in a non-emergency situation:

Earth Shield
Riptide the tank
Healing wave X 3
Riptide the lowest health DPS
Healing wave X 3
Healing wave X 3 (earth shield if needed)
Riptide the tank
etc...

Using anything else is a severe detriment to my mana, but the monotony is made up for by the hectic moments. So much stuff to interrupt/ground/purge/hex/bind/earth elemental tank in every instance. I swear I save at least 30K mana a pull interrupting things that the DPS would ignore.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

...but the monotony is made up for by the hectic moments.

I agree with this, but i also feel at the same time that during those hectic moments (like the pull which was placed just wrong enough that just as we finished it, a patrol was right on us, frigging adds spawning everywhere nonstop, and by the end I was running on fumes but still had all my cool downs.) It was both awesome in that i pulled it through, still had my cds ready to regen more mana and could have kept going, but it was also sorta off...It simply just a good shifting of "rotation", which isn't nothing to raise my nose at i guess, that made me feel more robotic and less engaged in the action.

That's part of why my jury is still out, it had it's awesome moments, but even the awesome moments felt stiff and hemmed in.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Nothing has been fun in Cata for me. I feel like a Skinner rat doing less than boring tasks in order to get a "reward".

Run around the maze again to get a reward.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Mage
My perspective for a druid -
HoT's consume WAY too much mana based on the mana consumed and the heal provided
HoT's healing output has not been increased based on the massive increase in health pool and the effective HoT of the spell
MP5 - man - that blows - even with 90k mana I burn thru it like it was nothing and innervate is just a drop in the bucket.

Parking the druid and sticking with the shammi for healing. Similar gear on both (blues some purple) but the shammi doesn't seem to has as tough a time with mana. I'm sure this will get fixed. QQ all you want - People will just stop playing and when that happens and subscriptions fall off bliz will act.
Edited by Brokencross on 12/18/2010 9:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I do NOT like the new healing model one bit. Particularly how it has gimped pvp healing with respect to damage. I know resil will help balance this somewhat. I am patiently waiting to see what kind of effect that has; however, I have my doubts that it will resolve the issues.

fyi. main is a priest
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I dont like healing now and I especially dont like how the changes are making people treat each other. Healers are refusing to top people off after a fight now. Healers are letting people die out of necessity and then being kicked out of the group for it. I hear people every day state that they just got kicked from a PUG for "bad" healing. People are constantly telling healers that they are bad, or they need to learn to play. Its not a very fun community right now, worse than it was before. So between the new healing "style" and the way its making people treat each other I am now DPS!

M
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Healers are refusing to top people off after a fight now.

If I'm drinking after a bad fight (usually the only cases in which a DPS doesn't end a pull topped off), I don't want to heal you up and drink again, you should be eating food, healing yourself, or bandaging while the healer drinks. I 100% disagree that this is a problem, its like DPS who spit in a raid's face after a wipe by waiting for a healer to run back to rez them, I won't rez those people (unless they state that they need to go AFK before we run back).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/18/2010 7:59 AMPosted by Silvers
. What makes every other role fun is knowing how to use your tools, on what target, at what time, as quickly as possible. That is where I wish healing was. IMO, it is not.

Agreed. I have posted something similar a couple of other places:
Priests have always had the largest toolbox for healing. Still do. But I spend about 85 -90% of my time using Chakra/Heal. It is like having a closet full of beautiful silks and satins and having to wear plain white cotton 85-90% of the time. Perfectly serviceable, gets the job done, but not much fun at all. For all that their "intent" was to get healers to use their full range of spells, from a priest perspective, they have done the opposite. In the name of mana conservation, they have locked us into using our most "efficient" spell for the majority of any given encounter. And that takes away the fun factor almost completely.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/18/2010 8:58 AMPosted by Bekyna
As I said, my Jury is still out, I aint geared for heals right now, I've only done it once last night in a regular dungeon, and I'm a lowly 81.

Just a heads up, 83 to 84 is where the reality check sets in. Your mana costs will almost triple, yet your spellpower increase will be absolutely minimal. So generally, it will cost you three times the mana is does now to cast a spell that will heal for about 100 more points.

I have been hearing (and this may be a load of bull) that level 85 healers cant heal ICC anymore. If anyone knows for certain or can back this up, I would be interested in knowing if that is the truth.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

Just a heads up, 83 to 84 is where the reality check sets in. Your mana costs will almost triple, yet your spellpower increase will be absolutely minimal. So generally, it will cost you three times the mana is does now to cast a spell that will heal for about 100 more points.

I have been hearing (and this may be a load of bull) that level 85 healers cant heal ICC anymore. If anyone knows for certain or can back this up, I would be interested in knowing if that is the truth.

My heads is up :D. My lurking has already told me that I've not gotten to the stage where we start to see the difficulties being spoke of; thats why I said my jury is still out...Even being a lowlevel, with mixed dps/healer gear (currant gear with healer robe instead) I would have expected to have issues with Stone. I know if I was 70 trying to do regular dungeons with heavy dps armory and little heal gear I would have been boinked in trying to keep anybody up for any length, ooming would have been a huge issue I'm sure...So, not having a mana issue, in a cata dungeon, while lowlevel, in the wrong gear....Yeah, that's keeping my jury out on it. It says something is definitely skewed if my only issue is that wipes are caused I picked the wrong spell, or wasted time trying to heal mobs (yes, i did do that twice O.o)

The ICC I have heard and I saw the stats....Noe Vs 85 or something like that was the thread name...I'll see if I can find it an link

Edit:

Well since i can search for my previous posts, i cant find the thread, but if you can...just check my previous post log; I responded to the thread.

I did find this one, but it hold no stats, just a relay of information: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1532043279
Edited by Bekyna on 12/18/2010 11:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
It's one thing to make mana matter.....fine do that. But to make our spells hit like wet noodles on top of that is just miserable. If a spell is going to cost an arm and a leg it should at least hit like a damn truck. I despise having these gimped heals. It makes one really feel useless in pvp. Can I have real spells now? Please?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/18/2010 7:59 AMPosted by Silvers
Is there not a way to have a model where we don’t spam any button?

This would be possible, were it not for the new highly punitive mana usage laws, which are more important to the devs than class diversity among healers.

For me, the fun and flavor of playing a resto druid was gutted. The mobility and HoT playstyle is what made a druid a druid. It was a lot of fun to me. I play a priest and resto shammy, too. They've been fun, but their own unique way.

Now, however ... they just blend together, because the game they're playing is the same. They have their fun toys, but I can't play with them freely. It's like being on a strict diet, and only getting to eat the occasional treat. Most of the time, however, you're just starving.
Edited by Droogs on 12/18/2010 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Now, however ... they just blend together, because the game they're playing is the same. They have their fun toys, but I can't play with them freely. It's like being on a strict diet, and only getting to eat the occasional treat. Most of the time, however, you're just starving.

This was a really nice analogy and it very much sums up my feelings on healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/18/2010 9:08 AMPosted by Denki
I'm enjoying it so far in heroics, except for the automatic "Blame the healer" mode that players default to when they stand in fire or fail to interrupt.

I'd like to have 1 more low-mid cooldown healing toy to weave in, maybe just make Unleash Life worth a damn. That would make the healing a bit less monotonous, because my healing goes something like this in a non-emergency situation:

Earth Shield
Riptide the tank
Healing wave X 3
Healing wave X 3
Healing wave X 3 (earth shield if needed)
Riptide the tank
etc...

Using anything else is a severe detriment to my mana, but the monotony is made up for by the hectic moments. So much stuff to interrupt/ground/purge/hex/bind/earth elemental tank in every instance. I swear I save at least 30K mana a pull interrupting things that the DPS would ignore.

You call this fun?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
12/18/2010 9:08 AMPosted by Denki
Using anything else is a severe detriment to my mana, but the monotony is made up for by the hectic moments.

Maybe it could be engaging, instead of monotonous, and also hectic.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I'm a fan. It just takes a bit of getting used to. You can't keep everyone topped off all the time or get them from 10% to full in a few casts. It actually requires a bit of thought if you wanna stretch your mana pool (i.e. you can burn through it and still end with mana if everything goes well, or you can stretch it out in case things go wrong and you need to burn heavy heals) and once people get familiar with the instances it becomes much less hectic to heal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]