How do you deal with all the spells?

86 Blood Elf Paladin
I recently hit 85 and the handful of new spells we got is throwing off my whole setup. I feel like I have to redo my UI and I'm running out of keybinds. How do you guys deal with all the spells we have acquired?
Edited by Celebrated on 12/18/2010 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
well i usually forget that ancient kings exists, and almost never pop inquisition unless its a boss fight, and only use the AOE HoT if the healer sucks.

Other than that, my set up is 1 for CS, 2 for judgement, 3 for TV, 4 for Rebuke, E for hammer of wrath, second mouse button for Exorcism, and first mouse button for cleanse (PVP only really) Everything else is just click as they have long CDs or don't need to be spammed.
Edited by Rorlt on 12/18/2010 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Merc stealth keyboard.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I use the WASD key configuration and bind 1,2,3,q,e,z,x,c,r,f,g, all my mouse keys and then rebind those keys a second time holding shift. It takes a while, but eventually it's like typing or using a game pad.

On a side note, Rorit, if you're a ret paly, you really should consider using sacrifice and heals more often. Ret pallys are designed to be able to heal others and can help prevent a healer from having to nuke heal during heavy dmg cycles. Likewise, if a healer is getting cced or forced to move a lot by boss mechanics, there may be times when you may be all the healing the tank is going to get. I'm not advocating you spend a lot of time on it, but what does an aoe hot really cost you in the long run? a GC?

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We do have a metric s#*t-ton of spells now. It's been tough to keep them all straight. As a Shockadin, I usually use some combination of Shock, Exo, judgement, Inquisition, and CS (for the holy power to keep Inq up 100%)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/18/2010 4:27 PMPosted by Ryus
I use the WASD key configuration and bind 1,2,3,q,e,z,x,c,r,f,g, all my mouse keys and then rebind those keys a second time holding shift. It takes a while, but eventually it's like typing or using a game pad.

On a side note, Rorit, if you're a ret paly, you really should consider using sacrifice and heals more often. Ret pallys are designed to be able to heal others and can help prevent a healer from having to nuke heal during heavy dmg cycles. Likewise, if a healer is getting cced or forced to move a lot by boss mechanics, there may be times when you may be all the healing the tank is going to get. I'm not advocating you spend a lot of time on it, but what does an aoe hot really cost you in the long run? a GC?

You should consider moving movement to ESDF if you're using a conventional keyboard, as it opens up two extra quick access buttons (A,W) to the left.
Reply Quote
12/18/2010 4:27 PMPosted by Ryus

Sorry but WoG is situational and isn't even worth typing about.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
We still don't have that much..

But keybinds.. I'm at.. 30-40 or something binds.. And still working out some kinks.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
SY
12/18/2010 5:40 PMPosted by Aeste

But keybinds.. I'm at.. 30-40 or something binds.. And still working out some kinks.

Ummm, how could you possibly have that many functioning binds?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/18/2010 6:38 PMPosted by Harani

Ummm, how could you possibly have that many functioning binds?

Base letters/numbers, shift+, and ctrl+. It's more difficult to do with a conventional keyboard (but doable), but if you have something like I use, or a gamepad, it's not far fetched at all.

If you do a search for Merc Stealth, it's the keyboard I use. It has a built in gamepad separate from the conventional keys, with conveniently located buttons (such as shift, ctrl, tab, etc..) for gaming.
Reply Quote
I wish I could bind ctrl, but it's just too hard to reliably hit that and another key for me. So I have about three or four abilities that I click ~once every fight and between twenty and thirty key bindings.

I just set up my less-than-geared prot spec yesterday and was surprised: I got away with a lot less bindings than on holy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Naga razer mouse ftw between that and my logitech g13 gamepad i have a boatload of empty keys, even with different mouts/non combat pets assigned to different keys lol.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/18/2010 5:14 PMPosted by Crozius

You should consider moving movement to ESDF if you're using a conventional keyboard, as it opens up two extra quick access buttons (A,W) to the left.

I'm thinking of doing that myself, but I'll have to reconfigure quite a few things. Plus I'm afraid it'll mess up press the numbers.

Did it take you a while to get a feel for it? Because two extra buttons is really 8 if with Shift, Ctrl, and Alt as well.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/19/2010 10:46 AMPosted by Marwynn

I'm thinking of doing that myself, but I'll have to reconfigure quite a few things. Plus I'm afraid it'll mess up press the numbers.

Did it take you a while to get a feel for it? Because two extra buttons is really 8 if with Shift, Ctrl, and Alt as well.

I don't use it now because I use the Merc Stealth, which has a built in gamepad with awesomely located buttons. When I did use it, it didn't take too long to get used to it. The sooner you change it up, the sooner you get used to it though, so you might as well leap!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Keyboards? Get yourself a Belkin n52te. Google it and grab something for the drool.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/18/2010 5:14 PMPosted by Crozius

I've been fooling around with my keybinds since the 4.0 pre-Cata patch. I've been using the WASD format for years, but I'm about to try the ESDF format and hope for the best. It's gonna be rough for a while and I just got used to my new keybindings.
Reply Quote
48 Blood Elf Paladin
i know im an insanly low level and everyone is gona quote your to freaking low level to evan be in this fourm you ediot and i dont realy know how many useful spells there are ut i would just pick my favorites and fil bar 1 with them thenn the other bars could be the less important spells uess you want the expanded ation bar crap to clutter your screen
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/19/2010 11:40 AMPosted by Tankforhire
Keyboards? Get yourself a Belkin n52te. Google it and grab something for the drool.

This, 100 times this. I was already using a razer naga and a standard keyboard so I felt like I was doing pretty well on keybinds, but since switching to an n52te + razer naga I could never go back. I already had my abilities keybounds before, but many abilities required some finger contortions using alt/ctrl/shift and would eventually lead to my hand getting a little sore after an hour or so. With the n52 I have more keybinding options, and it's way more comfortable, hand never gets sore now. I assigned the very bottom left button on the n52 to shift, so I can easily hit it with my pinky and press any of the other buttons doubling my keybinds, one of the buttons on my naga is assigned to control modifier, giving me another further set of binds with the n52 for things like seals/auras. It's also really cool being able to handle the movement functions with just your left thumb instead of dedicating wasd to movement. After like a week or two of using it there won't be any going back to keyboards.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]