Anyone else think mastery sucks?

91 Undead Priest
I've only 85'd 2 t00ns, my warrior and this priest. I shadow spec'd during the grind and thought mastery sucked for the minor additional shadow orb damage, but I find it useful for my 2h axe arms Warrior. Now that I'm done grinding for the most part I'm ready to start gearing towards healing again, and I find that mastery still sucks ... at least for Holy Priest. All those mastery points for an extra couple/few percentage points of healing over time? Any other priests feel the same way? I'm thinking stacking crit would be far more effective ... opinions?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Only class/spec's I've found mastery to be badass is Frost DK and Ele Shaman. Resto shaman mastery is crap. Utter and total
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
EoL accounts for about 10% of my healing. That's not insignificant.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Unless I'm a complete idiot I was under the impression that Holy's Mastery (which does in fact, SEEM to suck right now) was suppose to stack i.e. - *cast heal* echo of light buff applied for 300 per second *cast heal again* echo of light buff "updated" to 600 per second....and so forth, I could see how this could be overpowered (if it is true that this is the way its suppose to work) but Blizz would cap it at a certain number just like divine aegis is cap'd at 15% (not sure if that's the right number) of a person's health. So echo of light would also be cap'd at maybe 5% of someones health....who knows.

-Edit - and like Elethia is saying, by looking on recount after you've healed a heroic, echo of light is normally 4th for me under Holy Word: Serenity...this also depends the amount of aoe dmg being taken...etc.
Edited by Aimze on 12/18/2010 10:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/18/2010 10:46 PMPosted by Thunderhelm
Only class/spec's I've found mastery to be badass is Frost DK and Ele Shaman. Resto shaman mastery is crap. Utter and total

odd, our best throughput stat after hastecap points is crap? hmmm.
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
My Holy (Priest) Mastery accounts for 10% of my healing in most Heroics. Seems decent to me.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Resto shaman mastery = bad
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/19/2010 1:50 AMPosted by Shamabanana
Resto shaman mastery = bad

/facepalm.

only bad shaman think it's bad. it's either our best or second best throughput stat depending on where you are for haste value.

Why shaman think it's bad is beyond me...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Holy priest and disc priest masteries are good. Shadow priest is total garbage, though.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
so mastery is good for shaman BUT only if you are about to die read the stat it blows
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
12/19/2010 2:15 AMPosted by Shortcircuit
so mastery is good for shaman BUT only if you are about to die read the stat it blows

"Not 100%" != "About to die"
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/19/2010 2:15 AMPosted by Shortcircuit

/sigh + /facepalm

target below 80%? mastery stronger than crit for aoe heals
target below 62%? mastery better than crit for single target heals
target below 44%? Mastery strongest stat period

Consider how often you heal someone below 62%. And consider how often you will be healing people at the 44% mark. You would be a fool to avoid mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Paladin holy mastery is largely considered worthless; our healing style encourages not healing the tank directly, so the shield often goes on a target that won't take damage within the next few seconds. It also just doesn't prevent as much damage as crit (Our next worst stat) can heal. I expect it to become more viable as overall throughput increases; the marginal utility of further haste will at some point not match the marginal utility of the mastery that increases its effectiveness proportional to haste.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Mastery stats on gear is good for reforging. Thats about all mastery is good for.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Ok bust my balls i still say mastery is a joke and this game is suppost to be fun and ok i get it some of you enjoy it but i dont and if i had to guess about 70% of players hate this new make the healer go crazy style of healing feal like i need to take pills after playing this new fun and very awsome style of game play. LOL
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It amazes me how many resto shaman continue to think that the resto mastery is actually something good. It is, and will remain unless changed, the worst of our 5 stats in both heroics and raids.

Lets think for a minute exactly how many times during a raid or guild 5 man, that deep healing comes into play at its full power. Now lets consider how many times haste comes into play. (Every heal for those of you having trouble) How about how many time a little bit of spirit, or hell, even some crit.

Its time to wise up. Int->Haste->Spirit->Crit->Mastery is your stat line for now. Please learn it, and please stop spreading misinformation.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
^ been reading that everywhere weard how 1 person says 1 thing a 50 other say somthing else mastery is not good for all classes resto shamans = bad haste int crit that saves fights not 4 sec cast and a chance for deep healing to kick in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]