Mastery Cap?

90 Undead Priest
I've heard various vague references to the "soft mastery cap". What is it, and why? I understand a soft cap, say in terms of Haste. Many useful spells can't get any faster after 1 second due to global cooldown. But does Mastery just have a point where it offers less per point?
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Shaman
This is worse, than when people ask if there is a crit cap
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
For a healing priest (and most other classes with a viable mastery), no.

For a spriest, the mastery softcap is 0.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I've read a little on disc mastery soft cap and I'll point out what I remember.

Divine aegis can only absorb up to 20% of the casting priest's max health. So if you get enough mastery for a greater heal crit shield to = 20% your health, that's the soft cap.
Edited by Bieberfever on 12/20/2010 2:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
mastery is good for spriests...

they just need 5000 crit and haste first.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Hm. Is that true? Is it intended? It's not indicated ingame in any way.

Assuming it's true: In my current gear, my GHeal crits for about 33k. 20% of my health is on the order of about 20k, maybe a bit more, so about 60% of a GHeal crit. Base DA absorbs 30% of the amount healed; in order to double that to 60%, you'd have to get enough mastery to increase your shields by 100%...which is a massive boatload of mastery. It might be less with better gear assuming a slower scaling of stamina compared to heal amounts.

(Using AA with 5 charges of Eva along with my SP trinket and a few other tricks has been known to give me over 50k GH crits which would produce 15kish DAs, so assuming the 20% of priest's health limitation, the target for being "mastery softcapped" in 346ish gear with AA procs, trinket procs, and other short-term buffs would be on the order of 33%, which would put me near it already...but I don't necessarily think that's a useful "cap" to be concerned with.)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/20/2010 2:37 AMPosted by Leemesgee
mastery is good for spriests...

they just need 5000 crit and haste first.

um, yeah, good luck with that...lol :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]