Do you casters need spirit?

85 Human Priest
Ok. I've been in three groups now, once with an arcane mage and twice with warlocks who insist that spirit is a DPS stat for them.

The explanation I got from the arcane mage was that it was based around his mastery (the more mana he has the more damage he does). I don't remember what the warlock said.

Is this ACTUALLY the case? I thought spirit was supposed to be the healer stat in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
2 Draenei Shaman
Spirit is for hybrid casters only, including DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
12/20/2010 5:14 AMPosted by Cristalle
Spirit is for hybrid casters only, including DPS.

"Hybrid casters" as in, druids, priests, shaman, and paladins, only?

Ok, so... what's the convincing argument to beat these people over the head with who keep taking my spirit gear? It's happened three times in two days, so it's pretty common already.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Mage Armor and Life Tap don't scale from spirit anymore. It's completely wasted on both mages and warlocks in combat. Mages' mana regen is based off of maximum mana (Int) and warlocks' is off of maximum health. Unless, of course, there's something I've missed.

http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=mage+armor#abilities
http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=life+tap#abilities
Edited by Snozberries on 12/20/2010 5:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
2 Draenei Shaman
Molten Armor crit doesn't scale on Spirit anymore either.

12/20/2010 5:21 AMPosted by Moleculor
"Hybrid casters" as in, druids, priests, shaman, and paladins, only?

Yes. those classes use it for healing obviously and the damage specs have talents that convert Spirit into Hit rating.
Edited by Cristalle on 12/20/2010 5:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
Spirit does absolutely nothing for mages and locks.

Oh wait, it takes away itemization from our actual dps stats on gear. So I guess it does do something, in a negative sense that is.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Spirit is for healers, period.

But if I see a piece drop that has better other stats then what I'm wearing and the healer doesn't need, then I need.

Spirit can also be reforged.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
12/20/2010 6:59 AMPosted by Gracktar
Spirit is for healers, period.

But if I see a piece drop that has better other stats then what I'm wearing and the healer doesn't need, then I need.

Spirit can also be reforged.

spirit isnt just for healers period. Its for spriests boomkins and ele too.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
You should prob explain to the mage/lock that int increases mana pool not spirit... though some probably wouldn't listen anyways....

But yea I have had the same issue and I just really don't get it :(
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
spirit is about as useful for a warlock as hit is for a holy paladin. they are trying to ninja, pure and simple. the rampant ninjaing is why i only get 1 piece of gear for every 8-9 heriocs.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Hey I lost a trinket to a healer for his "dps off spec." I have only seen that trinket once.

So all your spirit are belong to me.

>:[
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Enjoy your votekick, then.

Elemental Shaman, Balance Druids, and Shadow Priests may roll on spirit gear.
All the healer specs may roll on spirit gear. It's polite to give the healers priority, since the hit cap isn't quite as critical for you as it is for the healer to not run OOM during a boss fight.

Mages and Warlocks... get your dirty hands OFF of my spirit gear. No, you don't get to roll against me because "lol ms upgrade" just like I don't get to roll on hit gear.

- A Healer
Reply Quote
If it's an upgrade, it's an upgrade.

If you want guaranteed loot, don't run randoms. You've only yourself to blame here.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
Mages/Locks shouldn't be rolling on spirit gear

Healers shouldn't be rolling on hit gear

Spriests/Ele/Moonkin are allowed to roll on both.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman
12/20/2010 11:13 AMPosted by Cyberpolice
and I wouldn't be rolling on that gear if it couldn't be reforged.

you can reforge spirit?
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
12/20/2010 9:05 AMPosted by Krinon
Mage armor regenerates 3% mana ever 5 secs plus your spirit so I really have not made it a priority but I can see if you don't prefer to use mage armor you will need it for mastery damage increase.

Spirit has literally no effect on your combat regen as a Mage. Zero, zilch, nil, none.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
12/20/2010 9:56 AMPosted by Middboss
spirit is about as useful for a warlock as hit is for a holy paladin. they are trying to ninja, pure and simple. the rampant ninjaing is why i only get 1 piece of gear for every 8-9 heriocs.

Warlocks must really like spirit in this case.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Mages and warlocks get virtually nothing from spirit. No mage or warlock should ever roll on spirit gear, no matter how big an upgrade, if a hybrid class wants it.

All spirit does for mages and warlocks now is increase passive out-of-combat mana regen. This is worthless for mages who have free food and should be eating whenever they are out of combat and not at full. And it's worthless for warlocks who have their 30-second cooldown evocate like ability + life tap.

Essentially, spirit is no longer a mage or warlock stat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]