Is hit cap still 8% what about Expertise?

55 Draenei Death Knight
Which is more important crit or haste for paladins now?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I do not know i got 10% hit rating. I been trying to find out how much expertise i need
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
8% hit (960 hit rating), 26 expertise or 16 with glyph (781 and 481 expertise rating respectively)

Crit and haste are practically equal, reforge to balance them\ once you're hit/exp capped.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You can mouse over your melee stats on your character sheet to see where you are for the caps.

For raid bosses:
Expertise is still 26 (16 with Glyph of SoV)
Hit is still 8%

Haste is more important than crit atm. However, Hit cap, Expertise Cap and Strength all come in higher than haste.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah but what about mastery?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/20/2010 11:08 PMPosted by Shuzer
Yeah but what about mastery?

It sucks.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
well alright I have been doing this all wrong......
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
When does strength (or does it ever?) take priority over hit and expertise?

I was under the impression you definitely want to hit cap. Missing specials means wasting holy power and procs.

However, it seems like the ret rotation still has empty GCD's. IIRC getting dodged doesn't waste the HP, you get to keep it, but you wasted a GCD. So is sacrificing a LITTLE bit of expertise for strength acceptable (say in gemming)?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/20/2010 11:21 PMPosted by Lylthe
When does strength (or does it ever?) take priority over hit and expertise?

I was under the impression you definitely want to hit cap. Missing specials means wasting holy power and procs.

However, it seems like the ret rotation still has empty GCD's. IIRC getting dodged doesn't waste the HP, you get to keep it, but you wasted a GCD. So is sacrificing a LITTLE bit of expertise for strength acceptable (say in gemming)?

The rule of thumb is to reforge for hit and expertise (using mastery - crit - haste (in that order, but hopefully not haste)) so you can gem/enchant for strength where applicable. Hit and Expertise caps are pretty important though.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
so is there a cap for haste/crit?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/20/2010 11:51 PMPosted by Shuzer
so is there a cap for haste/crit?

Not that you can reach. For now, more is better. If you think you have enough, you probably need more. And you should get some more after that, just to be safe.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
1015 haste would be the minimal benchmark to make spells have a 1 second GCD, particularly with Exo and Holy Wrath in the rotation.

The perfect amount of haste (including JoTP and Wrath of Air totem) would reduce crusader strike to a 3 second cooldown which elitist jerks quote being around 3978 haste.

12/20/2010 11:21 PMPosted by Lylthe
So is sacrificing a LITTLE bit of expertise for strength acceptable (say in gemming)?

If you use the Seal of Truth glyph you should be able to hit the expertise cap through reforging (as Carerra pointed out), I managed to do it easily with greens.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Expertise I have maxed and havent reforged or anything because I thought it would be expensive. But also I have like 20% mastery because I thought that would be useful so now I know to reforge that into hit until capped then work on haste/crit
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Can anyone tell looking at my gear if I will be able to cap hit by reforging?
Reply Quote
In your character sheet there's a little pop up window when you mouse over your current hit percentage/rating that will tell you exactly how much of a chance you'll miss a target. Same with Expertise.

As for reforging to get the sweet spot, you'll have to play about or have a conversion calculator on hand to determine how much of what you need can you get from a dead stat, like Mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
After being hit and expertise capped haste is actually our primary stat. I've tried gemming straight strength and going that route for the extra AP and it always ends up doings significantly less damage than going all haste.

Remember, EJ contradicts themselves when they say "Strength is king (1 paragraph down) 3 second CS CD is the ultimate nirvanah for ret pallys so get haste"... I'm currently at a 348 ilvl and have about 3.2 second CS CD in combat and I do much more DPS then I do when I try to stack all strength.

We need to start getting away from that "strength is king" crap.

Faster ramp up >>> hitting mildly harder.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
P.S.:

Haste > Mastery > Crit (after hit/exp cap of course)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
ug grimm is spreading his disease.

I wouldn't recommend listening to him.

Anyway - as you have already reforged your gear - you have found that you can't reach hit cap. Don't worry though - you will get tons of it once you start regularly doing regular cata dungeons.

Tl;DR: Gem str, ug.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
So.... I am getting gem strenght over haste and crit. do we still need to keep the magical 30% crit number? Does mastery matters?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]