Searching the forum

85 Human Paladin
Why does this web site not allow me to search the forum posts for those which might be relevant with regard to what I want to know?

For example, when I key the word "Libram" the search function displays a long list of Librams and refuses to search anything else.

What I want to know is: What is a Libram? Why would I want to use one? How are they used? Can their effects be removed or reversed?

But the lousy search function won't allow me access to potential answers for those questions and Blizzard is clearly unprepared to answer them, insofar as they have removed the original documentation for the game from their online websites and have failed to replace it.

So, tell me then why I should continue playing WoW?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So. A feature is not what you wanted, and you feel it's stupid enough that you should just quit?

In the future, bookmark http://www.wowpedia.org. That's your encyclopedia.

- Corylyn/Wynnoa, Wyrmrest Accord
Reply Quote
12/16/2010 6:42 PMPosted by Corylyn
So. A feature is not what you wanted, and you feel it's stupid enough that you should just quit?

The man has a point. I mean, wtf do I care about gameplay? Blizz, please fix your forum search.

Also, give us sigs or smell ya later.
Reply Quote
82 Goblin Mage
Umm. I type libram in the little box in the upper right. Then, I click on the little tab that says "Forum (274)" to only look at the 274 results on the forum. I could also click on the tab that says "Items (75)" to look at items, or whatever else (All - Arena Teams - Characters - Items - Forums - Guilds)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/16/2010 6:29 PMPosted by Dyeimiadeya
they have removed the original documentation for the game from their online websites and have failed to replace it

I'm going to assume that you're either completely new to the internet, or just very dense.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Libram_%28relic%29

Wowpedia is a recommended website by Blizzard. There's no need for Blizzard to have every little piece of information about the game on their website when Wowpedia (which shows up on the first page or two of a Google search, had you actually put effort into that) has more information than you could possibly imagine, all updated and maintained by the players themselves.
Reply Quote
12/16/2010 6:29 PMPosted by Dyeimiadeya
Why does this web site not allow me to search the forum posts for those which might be relevant with regard to what I want to know?

Could also have something to do with these forums being new, and there not being any posts yet that contain the information you want.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
@Corylyn: No, I am reconsidering whether to continue playing WoW because finding out anything about many features of the game requires far too much time and effort, whereas a RULEBOOK with a PROFESSIONALLY-WRITTEN INDEX would reduce that burden considerably. (Have you ever used one? They beat "keyword search" hands-down.)

During the past four weeks, I have met three former WoW players, and among the reasons that each one quit playing was that "it takes too much time". One specifically said that he had to spend more time using the forum than the time that he spent playing the game. Another reason which they all mentioned was "the hostility of veteran players toward those who aren't", and I can't say that they are wrong about that. Can you?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/16/2010 6:51 PMPosted by Wërth
Umm. I type libram in the little box in the upper right. Then, I click on the little tab that says "Forum (274)" to only look at the 274 results on the forum. I could also click on the tab that says "Items (75)" to look at items, or whatever else (All - Arena Teams - Characters - Items - Forums - Guilds)

When I type "Libram" (without the quotation marks) in that little box, the us.battle.net/wow/en/forum software does not display a tab (of any size) that says "Forum (274)" or "Forum" anything else. It only displays a list of Librams by name, and choosing one does not display any forum post(s) about it. Perhaps you are thinking about some other web site. ;-)
Reply Quote
62 Gnome Mage
No, it does for me.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=libram

All (504) Arena Teams (2) Characters (87) Items (75) Forums (338) Guilds (2)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
@Icedragon:

Both of your assumptions are wrong, of course. *Wikipedia* was and is based upon fundamentally wrong assumptions about knowledge and learning, too, but that's a topic for another time and place.

Thanks for the reference to wowpedia.org, though. I have also read the content, such as it is, on wowhead.com. Neither one tells me what I need to know about Librams, or at least not what I need to know to resolve the problem that I've encountered (neither has anyone who has replied to my message so far).

But there seems to be a hint in the way that the content on wowpedia is arranged. If it means what it apparently implies, then there is probably a bug in the game software.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/16/2010 11:50 PMPosted by Jakjak

Could also have something to do with these forums being new, and there not being any posts yet that contain the information you want.

You certainly could be right about that. If there are no Forum posts in the search results, though, the Search feature should inform the user of that fact so that we don't waste time and effort trying to figure out what is, or is not, happening when we use the Search feature.
Reply Quote
62 Gnome Mage
Librams are Paladin-specific relics. Relics replace Ranged Weapons for Druids, Paladins, Shaman, and Death Knights. Prior to Patch 4.0.1, they typically gave significant bonuses to a single spell rather than a general stat bonus of ranged weapons; for instance, they might reduce the cost of [Holy Light] or increase the damage done by [Divine Storm]. This functionality was changed in preparation for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

So, basically, they just give stats bonuses. They don't attack or do damage, they just increase stats like stamina or strength, etc.

They USED to increase damage for a single spell, but that looks like it was changed to just stats boosts.

I'm not sure what question you have been asking that you claim isn't being answered, though. Are you asking what are Librams? What is the problem you are having?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/30/2010 7:51 PMPosted by Frosteez
No, it does for me.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=libram

All (504) Arena Teams (2) Characters (87) Items (75) Forums (338) Guilds (2)

Using that URL produces a page that I haven't been able to get by using the Search feature on the home page.

Be that as it may, after slogging through the first few "results" of the KEYWORD search, it is clear that the forum software uses an ineffective, obsolete search algorithim which was news 40 years ago. I know because I read the news about it back then. :-) Some fool thought that s/he had found the ultimate answer to "search" in "Computer Science" and it was incorporated into every software development library in the USA, thus it has been a plague upon us all for 40 years.

However, using Keyword Search is almost always very time-consuming and you have no assurance that any of the "results" will in fact contain the INFORMATION for which you are searching. That is the problem, namely, that the software searches documents for a "keyword" and not for "information". You would think that people would have realized by now that Larry Page and Sergy Brinn have proven quite well that they have a better idea, wouldn't you?
Reply Quote
62 Gnome Mage
Funnily enough, google gives me the same nonsense for results :) I guess the forums here haven't been active enough for there to be info about Librams?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fus.battle.net%2Fwow%2Fen%2Fforum%2F&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=#sclient=psy&hl=en&lr=&source=hp&q=Libram+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fus.battle.net%2Fwow%2Fen%2Fforum%2F&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=ca05a7bb65e82229

That's a crazy link, but basically, search google for:
Libram site:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/

To be honest with you, yes, the forum search sucks. But I can always find info with wowpedia and other sites if needed, and if not, just create a new thread about it.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
We need help understanding your situation. Could you please describe to us what a "professionally written" index entry would look like for the book that would contain the instruction that you HAVE TO PRESS ENTER TO MAKE THE SEARCH GO, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER SEARCH BOX ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET so that we can learn?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/30/2010 8:27 PMPosted by Dyeimiadeya
using Keyword Search is almost always very time-consuming

I'm shocked that you've lasted this long on the internet, considering searching for things is so difficult for you. If you're going to stroke your ego over a forum search for an online game then you have deeper issues to sort through, hopefully with a "better" algorithm than a keyword search.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
@Frosteez:

I've spent a lot of time & effort to respond to your questions in #14, but the forum software does not display either of the two messages that I have written. I don't know whether it will display this message either. Suffice it to say that I think that I now know why the game software won't install the Libram of Truth in the Relic socket, but apparently the forum software won't let me tell you about it. :-(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Why didn't you just ask the people on this forum your question about libram's instead of being a drama mama about search protocols on a month old forum?

Or just asked in trade chat.
Reply Quote
I'm smelling a heaping pile of PEBKAC somewhere in the vicinity of this thread.

12/31/2010 1:56 AMPosted by Grimmelbeard
Why didn't you just ask the people on this forum your question about libram's instead of being a drama mama about search protocols on a month old forum?

Also, this.
Reply Quote
97 Undead Warlock
I'm smelling a heaping pile of PEBKAC somewhere in the vicinity of this thread.

Also, this.

Gotta agree with this! If it's that big a problem for you, QUIT, ALREADY! Apparently, things aren't working out the way you think they should. Some people are like that.
Edited by Glimflashy on 12/31/2010 8:13 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]