Did you play ret in TBC and Classic?

81 Human Paladin
For me, vanilla ret was a little more fun than BC, and BC and pre-4.0 Wrath were more fun than now. People complain about vanilla like it was torture, but it wasn't that bad for me since I was in a casual guild. And I still did pretty dang well in MC considering the spec's limitations. :P

I agree with the folks who say PvP was fun in vanilla. Server only BG's had longer queues but there was a greater sense of community. I seriously miss the multi-day old school AV's and world PvP of those days. In outstanding gear, a ret pally could have quite a bit of fun playing as an actual mace-wielding defensive and offensive hybrid-- various world PvP vids of Judgement pallies with Sulfuras pretty much prove that point.

Ret today is not a paladin anymore, IMO. Right now it just feels like an experiment.
Reply Quote
68 Human Priest
How many of you had mini game add ons that you played while playing your paladin?

Also keep going on with the nostalgia about vanilla.
Edited by Imthehealbot on 12/17/2010 12:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret blows, roll prot and hope it will be fixed in the future patches.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
I've been a Ret pally since my first day of Classic WoW (patch 1.5) . I had lots of fun leveling up. The combat system didn't bother me too much back then because I had nothing else to compare it to. I would not like to go back to buffing every five minutes and resealing every 30 seconds though.

I remember loving the "double bubble" technique. In BGs I'd pop divine shield and heal myself and teammates to full, then I'd pop blessing of protection right after and heal some more. Melee were screwed against me.

I had some good friends and a good guild that let me be flexible...until it disbanded *snif*. 10-man Scholo runs were fun (it was one of my favorite dungeons) and I remember being so pleased with myself for having 3 pieces of lightforge and upgrading the bracers to the epic soulforge version lol.

But then I ended up in a guild where I was forced to heal and I never got any gear because our itemization was so screwed up. I remember starting to raid LBRS & UBRS and it was just not fun for me anymore. I got burned out and quit that horrible guild (which completely ruined raiding for me which I haven't since), took a break from WoW for a few months and when I came back I went to my low level mage and just pvped with different alts I made at lower brackets.

I eventually came back to my pally and just pvped with him. Got him to Sargeant, got my mage to Knight, and a couple other alts to Private status on the old pvp rank system. I was so close to the next pvp rank on my mage when they took away the old ranking.
Edited by Factor on 12/17/2010 12:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've been burning with courage and justice! Also spending more time on the consoles than WoW. That and so many fun anime to watch.

Lots of the old crowd left. D: Less and less people showing interest and more and more people trying to get me to go to off-topic. So my random threads mostly are on my realm forums. They're mostly full of gaming/anime news though. So now I'm doing the horrible thing known as Archaeology, listening various music and alt-tabbing to read forums. Also reading the forums when I'm not playing. Looking for fun threads to post in.

What have you been up to?

I'm also doing Archeology and trying to adapt to this tauren crap...Friends bribed me into faction hopping, I miss being human :(

I miss the old forums, well, before my ban anyway lol.

You should boot 'em back up. There's too many stiffs these days and I'd rather have the old feeling back of the forums. The daily threads, the morning threads, the pokes at each other. That's something about the Vanilla forums I miss as well.

They were awesome.

Oh, as for another fond Pally memory. I was lucky to be the guilds Bubble-Puller on Garr, so much fun!
Reply Quote
Scholo

That place will forever be engraved in my mind. Not because of how many times we ran it. Not because of the 10 man stuff. All because of one of the most backward runs a few of us ever did in the place.

We had a Shadow Priest, a Holy Paladin, a Ret Paladin (me), a Prot Paladin and a Rogue. The Rogue was on his way from Stormwind. So what did we do? We started without him. No big deal, right? Well if we were smart it wouldn't have been.

We had our Holy Paladin tanking. I was trying to heal. The Prot Paladin was DPS'ing his heart out and the Shadow Priest was trying to help me heal and CC with Mind Control. When our rogue buddy got there he remarked "What the hell is wrong with all of you..?" We kind of realized what we were doing after that.

That place will forever be engraved in my memory because of that incident.

We also almost set the record for a UD Strat run once when they were doing that timing thing as a Fury Warrior, Holy Paladin, Ret, Hunter and a rogue. We were near the end though and we wiped. So sad. D: I blame our warrior. If in doubt, blame him.

... BECAUSE HE'S EVIL. He got me killed/stuck in BGs SO MANY TIMES.

We were in WSG once. (Keep in mind, this is when I had Satellite internet so disconnecting was very common for me) I had grabbed the Horde flag. Warrior tells me "Follow me! I know a great hiding spot until we get our flag back!" So I follow him. He leads me behind a tree. Requires odd jumping to get there. He gets out just fine. When we get the flag out... I couldn't get out. I was stuck with the horde flag behind a tree for like, five minutes.

Another WSG game I DC'd in the middle of the field with the flag. I got back on, vent reconnected and I was met with our friendly Holy Paladin going "Yzak... you are forever banned from carrying flags." I asked her how long and in chat "NEVER EVER AGAIN!"

They apparently kept me alive the whole time it took me to log in again wondering why I stopped in the middle of the field.

Man... I really do miss those days. I remember winning an AB against a premade by like, 10 points with them and we were all just yelling in vent "HURRY! POINT! COME ON!" "CAP IT!" "COME ON!" <Alliance wins> "YES!" "EAT THAT!"

And the fortress of totems. Oh god. D: There was a Shaman who made premades on our realm who would camp the flag room in WSG. I swear, they were all shamans who just put down totems and camped the room hoping for kills. You'd head up top, look down below and TOTEMS. TOTEMS EVERYWHERE!

I remember I was an engineer back then. I tried to MC the flag carrier once and BoP him to retake the flag. Did not work so well. It backfired and I was his ally. Holy Paladin was with me and so it was 2v1. She was like "GG YZAK. G FREAKING G."

We also had a total unison moment. We were defending stables and two Warriors charged us. One charged her and one charged me. We were like, in perfect unison beside each other. We both sealed and auto-attacked. We both were 50%~ life so we healed each other at the same time. We both stunned the warriors at the same time and judged them. We dropped Consecration at the same time. We even finished it off with Hammer of Wrath at the same time. It was beautiful.

I remember I was riding through STV with the warrior friend. We encountered a literal raid of level 40s. There had to be at least 30 of them. We took out a good 20 of them before they got us. We raced back to our bodies and owned the rest and the rez'ers after that though.

That same warrior got stuck on the rock in the middle of BRM in the lava. We don't know how he made it that far. He charged some priest and lagged out. Next thing we hear in vent "Guys... help me." We look and "HOW THE HELL?!" We swam out, made a line of Paladins/priests and healed his ass back to land without a single death.

Oh the memories. Oh the giant post...
Reply Quote
82 Human Paladin
I was ret back then. I would sit in Shat trying to get groups for regulars, When I told them I was Ret they loled and left the group, then told me to go holy. After a few weeks of that I just switched to PVP and had the most fun I've had in wow.
Reply Quote
Y'know...all this talk of Scholo...

I remember the day I completed the first steps of my epic mount quest. I was more excited for it than I'd ever been about anything else in this entire game.

The Paladins on my server in Vanilla were all really tight knit, it was pretty cool. I announced it in trade and there were just pools of Paladins congratulating me and offering to help. Hell, even one of my idols as I was leveling offered to help.

A five Paladin run for the chains of my quests in dungeons. I will never forget. I think that's why I fell in love with the class and can't let it go. The original brotherhood that bound us.

Before you ask, it was a PvP server. There's something about the older Paladin players man.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I played on my pally wavetactic (still my main) and uhm i had more fun as ret in tbc then i can ever remember even wotlk or cata. Although i like cata im really disliking the ret tree. Seal twisting gave me something to do although switching seals and judging took mana we didnt have. I still remember my first time in Kara i was 2nd dps right under a rogue. Supposely ret was broken but i was young and ignorant and had no idea what i was doing. from level 50-58 i was in plaguelands grinding mostly to abuse my exsorcism which could only be used on demon and undead. Also cant forget joining my first real raiding guild and doing Tempest keep i just rememebr having like 5 tanks and having to cc also alot of deaths for melee :D . TK was 25 man and i was 4th dps on reaver fight woulda been second but i died cuz i pulled aggro although i have no idea how since we had blessing that reduced threat by 30%. most people neglected ret pallies its so sad cuz i was actually somewhat successful considering i was in pvp gear for all those raids because i couldnt find anything better. I just remember having like 6 blessings and we gave a 3% crit raid buff and prot couldnt tank anything but adds.
Reply Quote
68 Human Paladin
Every pally I hear ever talk to says "Five minute blessings, 30 second seals" and it's so true. Far and away the worst part of playing a paladin of ANY tree.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i just miss the days when everyone was noobs and clicking , when you entered a BG there was always one or two asking how the honor systemps work , i miss the days when we all backpaddle clicking everyspell wondering what spell im gonna do right now looking for the spell on my bar realising it isn't and i had to open my spellbook to click on my danm seal of wisdom -_- i miss these days =3
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I miss the days when judgment was exciting =/
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Mmmm ret back in classic wow, the 30 second burst attacks in pvp were fun with hand of rag.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
12/17/2010 12:51 AMPosted by Yzak
Scholo

That place will forever be engraved in my mind. Not because of how many times we ran it. Not because of the 10 man stuff. All because of one of the most backward runs a few of us ever did in the place.

We had a Shadow Priest, a Holy Paladin, a Ret Paladin (me), a Prot Paladin and a Rogue. The Rogue was on his way from Stormwind. So what did we do? We started without him. No big deal, right? Well if we were smart it wouldn't have been.

We had our Holy Paladin tanking. I was trying to heal. The Prot Paladin was DPS'ing his heart out and the Shadow Priest was trying to help me heal and CC with Mind Control. When our rogue buddy got there he remarked "What the hell is wrong with all of you..?" We kind of realized what we were doing after that.

That place will forever be engraved in my memory because of that incident.

ROFL!! That's hilarious!

And the fortress of totems. Oh god. D: There was a Shaman who made premades on our realm who would camp the flag room in WSG. I swear, they were all shamans who just put down totems and camped the room hoping for kills. You'd head up top, look down below and TOTEMS. TOTEMS EVERYWHERE!

That sucks lol

I remember I was an engineer back then. I tried to MC the flag carrier once and BoP him to retake the flag. Did not work so well. It backfired and I was his ally. Holy Paladin was with me and so it was 2v1. She was like "GG YZAK. G FREAKING G."

LOL, I used to be an engineer back then too and had that happen to me once. I also remember when the Gnomish Death Ray helped me get plenty of kills.

Oh the memories. Oh the giant post...

You started bringing back more good memories as I read it!

There was one incident where I was about level 53 and was running through Tirisfal with a 38 dwarf priest guildie to run him through Scarlet Monastery and we came across this flagged 58 tauren warrior. He kept taunting us so we finally decided to attack him. Much to my surprise that warrior got owned lol. The dwarf was off to the side throwing me little mini-heals and when the warrior tried to go after him I just used BoP on him and then proceeded to kill him. We lol'ed and then ran off to SM. Right before going into the instance portal, I just happened to turn around and saw that the warrior had followed us and was coming full speed. I lol'ed at him and jumped into the instance.

As for gear, I never had the best gear, but I was happy with my blues (and one epic lol). I remember that chest piece Plate of the Shaman King dropping (in LBRS I think) and I won it and was so happy. I kept it for a long time until I got the Grand Marshal's chest piece when that lovely golden 60 pvp gear became available for honor.

And I agree that pallies back then kinda stuck together more. The only viable spec was holy and even as ret you were still a good healer, so when you tried to do anything else you were looked down on. There were always pallies willing to help you with the epic mount quest. I had a group of 3 or 4 pallies when I did mine.

I also remember the forums back then. All the trolls (Ellia) that used to say we'd never get a strike because we weren't meant to dps because it was a pure class's job. We weren't meant to main tain because it was a warrior's job. Just stay in the back with the priests and heal and you are the last one on the list for any gear when it drops too because everyone can do your role better than you.
Edited by Factor on 12/17/2010 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
*raises hand* More stories to come later when my comp ain't dying and I get a break from work.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Gearing up for Karazhan by running BGs was oh so much fun. /sarcasm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]