i have a question to vanilla people

1 Draenei Priest
As others have said we downranked, danced around the 5SR, and timed mana pots for maximum efficiency.

I miss those days.

Well, maybe not the massive pot consumption.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeaaaah i do not miss the pot thing one little bit. So tired of people taking what little gold i made back then by over charging for mana pots! REVENGEEEEE
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The only druid who could put HoTs up was the most geared druid (the most +healing); all other druids' HoTs would get overwritten or would give error messages, because they did not stack. So trying to put up your rejuv would give you a "there's a more powerful spell active" error.

So if you weren't the best geared druid in the raid, it was spam downranked HT, cancelling the cast if it would overheal, decurse/poison, innervate your priest, and rez.

I felt super special on Razorgore when I had to sleep dragon adds, I felt like I had a special job :D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
to me it seems that vanilla healing was quite fun and you had to make decisions at the same time unlike cata healing
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
I really, really miss the FSR.

And with that cast-canceling.

I liked knowing when I should cast and when it would be better for me not to.

It was a more dynamic style of play for me.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
12/17/2010 6:25 PMPosted by Killaelmoo
to me it seems that vanilla healing was quite fun and you had to make decisions at the same time unlike cata healing

This, to me, is bizarrely backwards.

For a druid, Vanilla was constant queueing HT, cancelling if it was going to overheal. That was it (again, unless you were the best dressed, then you could use Rejuv and sometimes Regrowth). Otherwise it was wait to be told to innervate a priest, wait to be told to battle rez, and in fights with curses or poisons, do that, although Decursive also made that pretty mindless.

I don't understand how queueing a single heal over and over and over, for the entire fight, is fun, and Cataclysm healing by comparison is more boring?

Yes, downranking was interesting, but HT4 was generally the go-to rank anyway.
Edited by Keeva on 12/17/2010 6:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
12/17/2010 6:35 PMPosted by Keeva

For a druid, Vanilla was constant queueing HT, cancelling if it was going to overheal. That was it (again, unless you were the best dressed, then you could use Rejuv and sometimes Regrowth). Otherwise it was wait to be told to innervate a priest, wait to be told to battle rez, and in fights with curses or poisons, do that, although Decursive also made that pretty mindless.

I don't understand how queueing a single heal over and over and over, for the entire fight, is fun, and Cataclysm healing by comparison is more boring?

I can't speak for others but it was a matter of control and choice for me.

I was limited by mana but I could choose what I wished to do, when, and how. And that choice directly correlated to my ability to regen mana throughout a fight.

My issue with the Cata model is throughput though, more so than regen.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/17/2010 6:35 PMPosted by Keeva

cata healing isnt fun cuz if you mess up for example group wipes but you could play around in wrath and tbc spam regrown if you want try out different healing healing styles and have fun with how you do but here you have one way you choose to spam nourish or healing touch but it just isnt fun its hard to explain but healing has lost its healing touch that attracted it to me where now i dont even feel like a healer, i feel more like a dps with mana who helps out some. people say gear will help but i dont think it will itll make the situation worse
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
In most of Vanilla if you where healing you where a Holy Priest, or off-heals waiting for a Holy Priest to log on. If you where a Holy Priest outside of an instance, you where waiting for a DPS or Tank char to come along and help you kill anything bigger that a critter.
(If you where a Shadow or Disc Priest you where well loved by your guild, cause if yiou weren't loved they wouldn't put up with you running that spec)

:-)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/17/2010 3:38 PMPosted by Tyrant
In vanilla Druids were only there to buff, innervate the priest and brez the tank. They didn't really contribute to healing in a meaningful way, nor did shamans or paladins.

Pretty much this. Things were even worse when HoT spells didn't even stack.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I've healed MC, BWL, AQ40 (including C'Thun) and Naxx to Patchwirk, all in vanilla, before switching servers and mains with BC.

There was a recount, it wasn't called recount, I forget the name. There was a threat meter, though it was very new when I was in BWL, and not always correct. There was also auto-decursive and even auto-heal mods that picked your target and spell for you and all you had to do was hit one key over and over and over again. I hated that thing and anyone who used it.

Downranking was the in thing to do, along with stacking MP5 and int.

I didn't do it. I always sorta played the way Blizz intended, big, slow, long, efficient heals. Greater Heal was 4 seconds and I used the hell out of it.

Anyone who could heal had to heal -- there were no pally or druid tanks, or any dps. All four classes were very tightly controlled by their raids, and it was not uncommon to have 15 healers in a 40 man raid. There were no heroics, but those of us who felt like raid healing was hell dressed up as a chakllenge would often find ways to make 5 mans more difficult. I did Strat and Scholo five man before the nerf when everyone did them as raids, things like that.

A lot of people act like Vanilla was the Golden Age, but I think they're forgetting some of the horrible things we did to each other and ourselves.
Reply Quote
In addition to downranked heals that others have mentioned...

You could only have one of any type of HoT on any one target. One Renew per tank. A Hot that healed for a higher HPS could overwrite a smaller one. People with lesser gear got their heals stolen a lot.

You cheated the five second rule as much as possible, because it resulted in more mana returns than you could get otherwise.

You had to farm felwood for night dragon's breath. There were 4 spawns in the entire zone and I think a 15 minute cooldown. So yeah.

DPS bandaged a lot. In raids, there were often times when dps had to run out or there was a pause in combat, and mana was just too scarce.

Healers bandaged too, just to save some mana.

Early in vanilla, only people who attacked a raid boss or healed someone who did were in combat. You could keep one person out of combat to rez anyone who died.

Reply Quote
32 Draenei Shaman
12/17/2010 6:42 PMPosted by Aurorae

This, a thousand times.

I could somehow understand, and cope, with tedious regen if the potency of healing spells seemed worth a damn, it simply isn't the case right now.

There's something very whacked about having 5k spell power and your heals hitting for about as much (barely more) than they did at lv80 despite health pools being 5 times as big.
Edited by Ekkio on 12/17/2010 8:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
12/17/2010 8:10 PMPosted by Ekkio

This, a thousand times.

I could somehow understand, and cope, with tedious regen if the potency of healing spells seemed worth a damn, it simply isn't the case right now.

There's something very whacked about having 5k spell power and your heals hitting for about as much (barely more) than they did at lv80 despite health pools being 5 times as big.

Same here.

And that model can be done. And *gasp* that doesn't mean going back to Wrath.

Take me back to BC when the challenge was fun.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
12/17/2010 6:43 PMPosted by Killaelmoo

cata healing isnt fun cuz if you mess up for example group wipes but you could play around in wrath and tbc spam regrown if you want try out different healing healing styles and have fun with how you do but here you have one way you choose to spam nourish or healing touch but it just isnt fun its hard to explain but healing has lost its healing touch that attracted it to me where now i dont even feel like a healer, i feel more like a dps with mana who helps out some. people say gear will help but i dont think it will itll make the situation worse

See if your spam one or two healing spells you are doin it wrong. Idk what spells you have but what i have been reading on the forums is that druids are not the hot healers they were but now they are like priest healers. (only tryin to help)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

See if your spam one or two healing spells you are doin it wrong. Idk what spells you have but what i have been reading on the forums is that druids are not the hot healers they were but now they are like priest healers. (only tryin to help)

Actually they feel alot like the way playing a Paladin always has. Luckily for me my original healer was a Paladin so I can deal with it. TBH across all specs and classes there isn't much difference anymore. If you can play one well you can play another well because the mechanics are pretty much exactly the same, all that changes is the spell names.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I healed with my paladin in vanilla, which was just spamming FoL and cleanse...and a plate healing gear was very hard to come by(I never succumbed to the cloth!) .

Oh, and refreshing 5 min. buffs on every raid member...ugh
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]