Rogers ISP, WoW, and you!

80 Tauren Druid
http://torrentfreak.com/rogers-bittorrent-throttling-experiment-goes-horribly-wrong-101213/
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Rogers-New-Throttling-System-Cripples-Speeds-111830

How does this affect you?

Well, Rogers hasn't yet entirely whitelisted WoW traffic. So if Rogers detection system decides to target you, WoW traffic will also be dropped, which will disconnect you from WoW.

How can you tell you've been targeted? You'll likely experience high latency before you disconnect. It'll seem like everything is working for everyone else, just not you. Everyone else's abilities would work, but yours will either lag or simply not do anything.

Are there any definitive tests that can prove this is happening to you? I'm afraid not. Because the throttling is only dropping certain packets, pings and tracerts are completely unaffected.

What can you do about this? Not a whole lot, unfortunately. Word on the street is Rogers has decided to just update their network management policy to include this new throttling technique. What you can do once that happens is either cancel your services with Rogers (you can argue that since they changed their policy, you don't agree to it and thus don't have to pay the early termination fee), or call in and ask for compensation because you haven't been getting what you were paying for. When I initially purchased the service from Rogers, I expected to get the full speeds, within reason. Because of this new throttling technique, that has not happened and so I deserve compensation.
If you know anyone that has Rogers internet service, tell them to call and ask for compensation as well. The more people that call in and make a stink about it, the better the chance of Rogers changing their ways.

What can you do to lessen the impact of this new system? Invest in a VPN/Tunneling service. One thing Rogers does not do is modify VPN traffic. There are many cheap VPN services out there (Even free, but they're far less stable). I personally have a separate computer I use to download on so I can run that through a VPN and everything else is completely unaffected (WoW doesn't "support" VPNs, and you are likely to get a few password resets due to Blizzards anti-hacking detection system, but it's better than being constantly disconnected.)

What you need to keep in mind however, is just because you're on the Rogers network and you are experiencing disconnections, it will not always be due to this throttling.

To read more on what people are doing to combat this, go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24822306-Extreme-Plus-Utorrent-Settings-and-Rogers and remember, the more people that call and complain, the more likely it is that Rogers will fix it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
12/18/2010 8:25 AMPosted by Shifthead
Invest in a VPN/Tunneling service

Wow, thanks for this informative posts and great article. I left Rogers a few years ago and I'm with Teksavvy ISP but I'm still going through the same problem. Constant DCs with no lag spikes or anything. Do you think WoWtunnels will help eliminate this issue? I'm willing to pay an extra 3.50 a month to get rid of this DC crap.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I hope folk read this and stop the "Blizzard you Sukzzors" - I know Telus is in Ontario now and I have been on Telus since it was Alberta Government Telephones. While Telus sometimes have their problems - my experiences have been nothing but good. I'm in a smaller community and I still get around 150ms to wow on my dsl.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
I'm not 100% certain Rogers (Techsavvy is a reseller, who btw is apparently set to get throttled in the coming year) doesn't throttle SSH tunnels (WoWTunnels), but I don't believe they do. I remember reading in the thread I quoted about someone using an SSH tunnel to successfully circumvent the throttling, but I've only used a VPN so I can't be sure.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Which one do you use?
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
12/18/2010 9:01 AMPosted by Tratt
I hope folk read this and stop the "Blizzard you Sukzzors" - I know Telus is in Ontario now and I have been on Telus since it was Alberta Government Telephones. While Telus sometimes have their problems - my experiences have been nothing but good. I'm in a smaller community and I still get around 150ms to wow on my dsl.
It's why I made this thread. Someone should report it for sticky, imo.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
12/18/2010 9:03 AMPosted by Brogram
Which one do you use?
I use hotspot shield. It's incredibly unstable, which is why I use it on a separate computer for Torrents but it does work for the most part with WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Sams issues. And it's not just WoW.

Constant DC in BF2:BC, SC2, CS2, even IRC!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Well, I just tried the WoWtunnels trial and didn't DC for the duration of the trial. Did a BG and everything was smooth sailing. I'll look into Hotspot shield and see how it goes.

EDIT: I DC'd right after the 30 minute mark (which is the trial duration of WoWtunnels)
Edited by Brogram on 12/18/2010 9:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
wowtunnels works so far..its been 10 minutes without a dc
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
bamp
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Be aware, though, that using any tunneling service isn't supported. It's not prohibited, but it can present issues if you change IP addresses often, which can get your account locked.
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wowtech
Reply Quote
rogers... shame on you
been having problems to play properly for a few days now
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
bamp!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I've also experienced this. Have not tried a fix yet, but will look into it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
ROGERS WTF. should all call in
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
So wait, are we Rogers users all SOL from now on or will this fix itself?
Edited by Winderans on 12/18/2010 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
ok it's been a day and there's no update. Anyone know what's going on?
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
No, we're not SOL. But it is going to take some effort for things to change.
Currently, Rogers claims no one is having any issues (Taken from the thread on DSLReports. Someone contacted the CRTC about this and that was the reply from Rogers)
As we noted in our previous letter dated November 4th and in my follow-up telephone call to you December 8th, we discovered that the behaviour referenced by Mr. McKillican has been in our network for a long period of time (more than a year), without us receiving a single complaint.

But if more people call in about it, the better the chance Rogers will revert the changes, especially if people demand a few months of compensation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]