Ret Paladin, which aura?

85 Human Paladin
I would think ret aura was the one a ret pally should use, but when I think about level 85 mobs with 80k or 400k+ hp, then the gimp damage (226 is it?) ret aura is doing is worthless. Am I wrong about this? To me, it seems in a lot of cases the resistance aura would better benefit a party since it gives an almost 25% damage reduction to those kinds of attacks.

Anyway, what aura should I be using?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I use resistance aura mostly against casters.. I doubt they're spell penet capped.

For others, uhm.. ret aura mostly.

Our auras just are sort of pointless other then crusader imo..
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I meant in dungeons, heroics and such. Soloing, I am sure the gimpy of ret for non casters is probably the best use.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hate to say it, but the aura's really aren't that much of an increase of anything. I pretty much leave crusader aura on when soloing and such, as mentioned ret aura's dmg isn't enough to rejioice about and devo is mediocre at best.

In dungeons and raids, I typically just use resistance aura, Devo on bosses if spells aren't a factor.
Reply Quote
Keep it on Crusader. It's our best aura. It's the sad truth of things...
Reply Quote
I expect an Aura buff in an upcoming patch. The numbers did not scale AT ALL with new end-game content. Speaking of Auras, this brings me to the Holy talent "Aura Mastery". What a great idea wrapped into a terrible talent.

Make our auras better? Yeah! Spend a valuable talent point DEEP into Holy for 6 secs of buff? Useless. Either double up on Auras numbers, or give a tree a low level 1 point talent to do so.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I tend to keep ret aura on unless I feel we need resistance depending on the mobs or boss. But honestly I have no idea if it makes any bit of difference. Crusader aura ftw is starting to look more like the truth than a joke.
Edited by Jadesky on 12/18/2010 4:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/18/2010 4:54 PMPosted by Jadesky
I tend to keep ret aura on unless I feel we need resistance depending on the mobs or boss. But honestly I have no idea if it makes any bit of difference. Crusader aura ftw is starting to look more like the truth than a joke.

Yeah. :(
Reply Quote
38 Worgen Warrior
We got auras?... oh, right.
PvP = Sader aura so you can run away faster or Resistance aura so you dont die as fast
Soloing = Sader
Heroics = I use ret but, it really doesnt do a thing.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
As ret I have the talent that gives you faster run speed, it doesn't stack with crusader aura I do not think. Ret aura doesn't scale to the new content at all. Even if it did 1k I do not think it would matter. I even noticed mobs that sometimes have a rapid set of attacks (like those guys in the stonecore, only get hit once even though they slam you a bunch of times real fast. I guess Ill keep it on resistance aura in groups for the most part. Fire and Shadow damage seem to be common and a 25% damage reduction doesn't stink for the healers in our group.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Resistance aura by far.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Depends on the group and the situation.

Resistance Aura is almost certainly superior on fights with Fire, Shadow, or Frost damage. The main exception to this is when you have Prayer of Shadow Resistance available - they don't stack. Same goes to a lesser extent with Resistance Totem.

Concentration Aura is nice during fights with lots of knockback. Your casters will love you for it, but it's mostly worthless for melee.

Devotion Aura is nice for fights with lots of physical damage against your tank. It's not a huge amount of extra damage mitigation, but anything that helps your healer out, helps your group out.

Ret Aura is semi-decent for periods of numerous low-health adds.

Good paladins use their tools to help their groups out. Bad paladins say "It doesn't really matter much" and proceed to watch the mob they should have used Repentance on eat the healer.
Reply Quote
Good paladins use their tools to help their groups out. Bad paladins say "It doesn't really matter much" and proceed to watch the mob they should have used Repentance on eat the healer.

...So apparently because our auras are absolute trash and we don't really care about them because realistically they all suck, it means we wipe groups.

Superior logic...I bet you think Ret is fully ironed out with no issues too, huh princess?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i havent used my ret spec for a while, but i would just keep dev aura up when leveling, im too busy trying to stay alive killing mobs and i need the extra armor more than the meh damage it does
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]